Course Press Pro - Merge Shortcodes do not work.

Hello! I am testing a course I recently built on Course Press pro. In the email settings, I have the student welcome email set up to give them their user name and password. However, when the student gets the email, they see this instead:

Username: STUDENT_USERNAME
Password: STUDENT_PASSWORD

The first shortcode I use, STUDENT_FIRST_NAME, works just fine, but obviously the username and password are the most important. I've looked all around, disabled plugins, and used different email clients, but I haven't been able to fix this issue.

I've granted support access.

Thanks.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Peter, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I see that you're using the STUDENT_USERNAME & STUDENT_PASSWORD merge shortcodes in the "Course Enrollment Confirmation E-mail", as well as the in the "User Registration E-mail", those two merge shortcodes are only meant to be used in the "User Registration E-mail".

Are you seeing that those two merge codes aren't displaying properly in the "Registration Status" email that gets sent to students when they sign up for a course?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Peter, my apologies for the delay here!

In looking at your site, I'm noticing that the courses you've got set up are set to only allow users to join the course upon manual approval, and that the site registration is disabled, so I first tried adding a test user (as it seems like you add users to the site manually here).

I noticed that I was sent a registration email by the Cimy Extra Fields plugin, looks like that's being used for your welcome emails (I tried opening the registration to your site temporarily, and saw that it was sent then as well).

After a good deal of digging into this, I'm not seeing that Cimy User Extra Fields has the capability to add in extra fields as placeholders in emails, it seems like customization of the plugin itself would be required.

Seeing that you're adding users to this site manually, it looks like we're reliant on Cimy User Extra Fields in this case. I've taken your welcome email, and inserted it as the welcome email inside of:

Settings -> Cimy User Extra Fields

(I inserted it into the "Customize welcome email sent to the new user" box, it's close to the top of the page)

The "User Registration E-mail" inside of CoursePress Pro would be used if the user were registering for a course himself, which would not only require registration on your site to be enabled, but he'd also need to be able to register for the course himself (instead of being manually approved).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance please! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael