Coursepress Bot Security On Signup

I have asked this question in the past and was told it was not a concern. My host has locked down all my sites from sending emails because there is no Bot protection on the course Signup button.

Here is their statement:

"If I click the "Signup" button I am greeted with a form that lacks any kind of CAPTCHA image or other human verification method. This form is susceptible to BOT attacks which could signup unsuspecting users for your mailing list. This also explains the high rate of messages about new registrations we're seeing in our logs.

Please implement a CAPTCHA image so we can ask that our email administrators unblock the account. Thank you for your cooperation and patience with this matter."

I am going to need another answer than just installing Akismet.

• Michael Bissett

Hey Black Fox, Michael here!

The "right now" answer would be to set up an alternative means of registration.

Seeing as you've got a child theme set up on your site, the thing would be to set up a custom content-course-overview.php template in that child theme, but replacing this:

<?php echo do_shortcode( '[course_join_button]' ); ?>

With this:

<?php if ( is_user_logged_in() ) {
    					echo do_shortcode( '[course_join_button]' );
    				} else {
    	// Thing to display instead
    				} ?>

Let me stop you here, and ask if a link to a registration page would suffice for the time being?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Black Fox

Ideally what I would like is to remove the default coursepress registration entirely.

The flow would be:
    1. user navigates to course description page
    2. user clicks signup
    3. user is sent to woocommerce cart with product in cart
    4. user would checkout and create their account during checkout.

That is the way I would like the process to go.

Using the code you provided, in the else statement, I could add a woocommerce "add to cart" button or something similar.

Currently I have over 100 unique installs of CoursePress. Meaning I will have to modify each one, one at a time.

Does the fix I mention sound like it would work?

Do we happen to have kind of an ETA on a more permanent fix?

Thanks!

• Jude

Howdy @chris_behnke

Sorry about the delay here, yes a add to cart button for the specific course id could be added there instead. Also a script to do this automatically would be the way to go as you have 100+ sites.

As you may already be aware we cannot give out dates or ETAs as its against official policy.
    That said I am moving this to the feedback section and can also tell you that I think the sign up workflow improvements should be part of the next version (2) of the plugin expected to be out soon.

Cheers
    Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.