CoursePress – "Courses" Page – Body Tag

My “Courses” page (.org/courses/) gets funky, putting up an overlay in the top and not displaying things.

In the source of this page (and I looked at source of others [seeing urls of folks’ sites in these forums] where it seems to be working), I see that a bunch of classes are added on to the Body tag, to, I guess, make it all work.

However, depending on the theme being used, this may completely break, like it’s doing with mine.

1) – Is this the only way (and best) to achieve the desired effect? I know that I could just re-direct to a custom page, edit links, etc., but it would be nice not to have to.

2) – If this is not a quick release fix (one just came out), could someone advise on a decent workaround?

• Craig
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi @aristath.

Sorry about not posting the link. I thought that when I selected it when posting the question, it would somehow be attached to my post. Guess not. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.pathsatlanta.org/courses/ is the url in question.

At this moment, I’m not quite sure which class is the one doing it, as I’m looking at the output/processed html tag, so it’s pulling in legit ones for my theme as well. Though fairly sure it’s one of the ones saying course this or that.

Are the class add-ons here technically doing anything? I mean I could put some custom css on my end or something. Just not sure what I need to do for a less than headache fix. :slight_smile:

• Bojan Radonic
    • Head of Support

Hi there @craig, I hope you’re well today!

Is this also happening on one of the default WordPress themes (ex Twenty Fourteen)?

Do you use some plugin for rating? I can see that in there is a line in your site header:

Rate this post” />

It seems that the tag is not properly closed so this plugin might be causing this issue.

Please advise,

Brian

• Craig
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

The rating thing is not it; I deactivated the plugin, still get the issue and the … />.

It does not show up in 2014.

Oddly, however, this does not occur in the course details page, dashboard etc.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Craig!

The /> characters are coming from autoptimize, which has dropped a comment in your page source saying your theme is missing a closing body tag, which could easily be the issue here.

Would you mind sending me a copy of your index.php file via email?

Subject: “Attn: Michelle Shull

-WordPress admin username

-WordPress admin password

-login url

-FTP credentials (host/username/password)

-link back to this thread for reference

-any other relevant urls

Select “I have a different question” for your topic – this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks!

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Craig!

I’ve weighed and measured your theme, and it is a bit lacking, but in a way I can’t entirely track down.

What I was able to do was recreate a course page (well, parts of one, expediency and all.) using CoursePress shortcodes: http://www.pathsatlanta.org/test-page/

What this did was get the content from coursepress back inside the body of the page, rather than floating around aimlessly above the header, as in your original example.

Using the shortcodes on a new page made everything work properly.

Now, the tricky part will be making sure to point to a you-made page, rather than the autogenerated page that came with CoursePress. Ideally, you should just be able to remove the link to the old page in the menu and replace it with a new link, to your new page.

Will this work, or does this overcomplicate things?

Thanks, Craig!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.