Coursepress crashes my site with version 2.0

Dear WPMUDEV,

When i updated coursepress pro to version 2.0 my website crashed with the error: fatal error: missing class Coursepress_Upgrade:: on line 179 in the coursepress.php file.

Please help!

• Rupok

Hi Simon,

I'm so sorry to hear the inconvenience you are having. I just tried to upgrade to CoursePress 2.0 in my test site but the upgrade went smooth without any issue. So I think, this is your site specific issue.

To confirm this, I've asked my colleagues to test this and also pinged our developer regarding this. I'll update you as soon as I get something from our developer.

Please keep in mind, our developers work round the clock and they have to deal with lots of critical issues and other things. So it may take a little while for them to check this and provide a feedback.

As a quick troubleshooting step, can you please confirm which PHP version are you using in your server? I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please confirm here when you are done granting Support Access. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Rupok

Hi Simon,

I just got an update from our developer and he requested for FTP credentials so he can troubleshoot the issue. Can you send me message with FTP access credentials through our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ ?

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - FTP Username
    - FTP Password
    - FTP Host
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Select "I have a different question" for your topic. This and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nithin

Hey Simon,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

Since you did mention that activating the plugin crashes your site, I didn't enable the plugin. Since we aren't able to replicate this issue in our test server, the troubleshooting methods are limited, when it comes to what we could do with support access, Could you please explain, how you upgraded the plugin? Is it through the WPMU DEV Dashboard > Plugins, or through the default Plugins menu.

Is there a easy way to restore Coursepress fully to the old version? So i can try to upgrade again? I have the old folder still in my downloads

CoursePress 2.0 has major changes, so I'm not sure whether whether it's possible. I'll have to check this with the developer. If you could provide FTP credentials as mentioned above, it would be helpful, and I could ask the developer to give a closer look, and help get this sorted asap.

Please let us know how you are looking to troubleshoot this issue, so that I could ping the developer according to it. Would recommend you to send the FTP access, so that you could make use of the latest plugin, and it's features, instead of restoring.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Collette Roberts

My website is finally back up and running after a day of restoring old back-up's (pre-Wordpress 4.7) and numerous phone calls to my web hosting providers. Initially the problem was created when I updated to Coursepress 2.0 through the WPMU Dev dashboard. After this I then had a message banner saying that I needed to upgrade to 2.0 (although I already had), and it seemed to upgrade each course individually. Then the website went down. This has 'downed' my website for 24 hours, which has impacted upon my business.

• Simon

I had the same problem.. I updated it to coursepress 2.0 through WPMUDEV dashboard.. then it said i needed to update my courses, when I did that my website went down.

If major changes happend, does that also include new classes? Because I wrote 8 additional shortcodes based on the previous classes and requests. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will ask my boss today if I can share my FTP-credentials with you, to help it get fixed.

Keep me posted of any development.

Kind regards,

Simon

• Simon

Hello Kasia,

I hope you are doing well today.
    First of all, I want to point out that the support and service you offer at WPMUDEV is extraordinary :slight_smile:.

I made a mistake in calling the classes.. I meant functions haha.. I mainly use the Student::"xxxx" functions or the Student_Completion::"xxxx" functions.
    ("xxxx" point to different type of in depth functions I use)

I shared my FTP credentials yesterday with you guys so looking forward to get the problem fixed!

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
    Simon

• Nithin

Hey Simon,

I made a mistake in calling the classes.. I meant functions haha.. I mainly use the Student::"xxxx" functions or the Student_Completion::"xxxx" functions.
    ("xxxx" point to different type of in depth functions I use)

Most of the changes at the moment, will be more towards providing fixes. I don't think there would be a major rewrite, at the moment. To be sure, you can check the changelog in the plugin homepage, before updating the plugin.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/coursepress-pro/

did the credentials arrive in the right place?
    how is the progress going..? I saw an update of coursepress and become really happy.. it was only to soon, still have the problem haha

I'm afraid the latest version doesn't have any fix related to this. Thank you for sending in the credentials, the credentials are working fine. I have passed the credentials to the developer, and have asked to give a look regarding this. Please do note that developers work round the clock with many critical issues, and hence have a slow response time. Either myself, or the developer will keep you posted asap. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Simon,

The developer was able to find the issue, and have added the patch in your system. Your website should work fine with CoursePress now. This fix will be included in the next plugin update, so you don't have to worry about the changes made in your system being overwritten.

The patch is related to replacing the attached file in the following path located under, /wp-content/plugins/coursepress/2.0/coursepress.php.

Please let us know how that goes, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Simon,

I just checked your website, and I wasn't able to notice such issue as seen in your screenshot.

Since I don't have admin access, I wasn't able to check your dashboard, if you still have issues, please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that I could give a closer look.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Simon

Dear nithin

It worked for a short period, then I noticed that half of the functionalities of Coursepress Pro are not functioning on my website now :slight_frown:.

Errors:
    - In the course list no apply button is shown
    - single-course pages are not found (404 error)
    - If single course pages were found there layout was perfect in "incognito mode" but not in the normal browser
    - When i enrolled to a course I got back that I completed it
    - The "find out more button" on the dashboard is not functioning..

Any idea if this relates to the adjustments the developer made?

Kind regards,

Simon

• Rupok

Hi Simon,

- In the course list no apply button is shown

In our previous version, Course Listing page has a "Course Details" button under each course but in the current version, you can click on the course title to get details about that course. When you visit the single course page, you will see button to Enroll.

- single-course pages are not found (404 error)

Thanks for granting Support Access. I logged in and flushed your Permalinks settings (by setting your site permalink to Plain and then again to your current setup) and now your single course pages are visible. Can you please check and confirm?

- If single course pages were found there layout was perfect in "incognito mode" but not in the normal browser

I just checked your single course pages and the layout is showing fine without any issue. I've check with Firefox, Chrome and Safari and design is not broken anywhere. So I think, this is your browser specific issue. Can you please try clearing cache and cookies from your browser and try again? Can you please try from a different browser? Can you please try from a different computer/network? If you can regenerate this issue everywhere, please confirm. We will be glad to investigate further.

- When i enrolled to a course I got back that I completed it

I just clicked the "Enroll" button on your Testing Course and I was taken to the Units page where I can select Unit and sections. So I could not see the issue live. Are you getting this issue with any specific course? If yes, please let us know which course to check. We will be glad to do further testing to resolve this.

- The "find out more button" on the dashboard is not functioning

I'm sorry but I can't find the "find out more button" in Dashboard. I must be missing something simple but can you please provide a screenshot so I can be clear about that button? If I can regenerate this on my test site, I'll report to our developer right away and I believe, they will provide a fix for this soon.

Please let us know if you have any confusion or if you have any further query. We will be glad to help further.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Simon

Dear Rupok,

Hope you are doing well today! As you are my support king in this topic :wink:

The completed courses happen to all the courses I enroll to and am instructor of.. I can't withdraw from the courses either, is this true?

The find out more button in the screenshot are presented to me in the student dashboard. They do not contain any link though, so they do not work :slight_frown:

thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Simon

• Nithin

Hi Simon,

It seems like the support access is disabled at the moment, could you please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look, and check these anomalies you have mentioned, so that we could give a you clear idea about this. You can grant access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access, or check this manual: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Rupok

Hi Simon,

Thanks for granting Support Access. I logged in and investigated the issue. Let me describe one by one.

The completed courses happen to all the courses I enroll to and am instructor of

I get it now. That's an expected behavior because Instructors have full access to their courses and they don't need to answer questions to complete that course. Theoretically you created the course, you created those questions. So you also know the answer, and it doesn't make sense to ask you to answer those questions and then let you go to next units. That's why it shows completed for the courses where you are instructor. What do you say?

The find out more button in the screenshot are presented to me in the student dashboard. They do not contain any link though, so they do not work

I created a test student account on your site and logged in with that account. Then I could see the issue in action. I found that data-link is there, but for some reason, those are not clickable.

However, you can fix that by creating a MU Plugin. For creating a MU Plugin, create a folder named "mu-plugins" inside your "wp-content" folder. Then inside that "mu-plugins" folder, create a file with any name and with a .php extension. Now paste the code inside that file and save.

<?php
    add_action( 'wp_footer', 'make_data_link_clickable' );
    function make_data_link_clickable() {
        ?>
        <script type="text/javascript">
          jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    		jQuery(".course-summary button, .featured-course-link button").click(function () {
    		   window.location = jQuery(this).attr("data-link");
    		});
          });
        </script>
        <?php
    }

For getting more idea on mu plugins, you can go through this article: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/using-mu-plugins/

This will make those buttons clickable.

Please let us know if you have any confusion or any further query. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.