Coursepress Crashes site

Hi there,

Coursepress seems to be crashing this site with each new update (this is the second time now). I adjusted folder permissions as a warning suggested but this does not seem to be helping. Any insight?

Thanks

• Rupok

Hi andiroo42,

So sorry for the inconvenience you are having. I am using CoursePress in my test site and I've updated at least last 5 versions, but my site didn't break a single time with CoursePress update. So I think, this is your site specific issue.

Just to make sure no other plugin is causing this, can you please disable all other plugins except CoursePress Pro and then try to update and see what happens? If update goes fine this time, then definitely some other plugin is conflicting. In that case, can you please do a plugin conflict test? To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this guide: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

Thanks for granting Support Access. I logged in but I found that CoursePress is currently disabled. Can we activate this plugin to see the issue? Before we do that, can you please turn on debug mode in WordPress? To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

Past errors here. If file is very long, paste them to a text file and attach with your reply.

Please let us know all these details. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• andiroo42

Thanks for the help Rupok, Coursepress immediately breaks the site upon activation with no other plugins activated.
      I'm receiving a not so good fatal error:

[31-Jan-2017 21:51:49 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in /home/jenniferjill/public_html/learndanielandrevelation.com/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/2.0/include/coursepress/data/shortcode/class-coursetemplate.php on line 425

There was more in the log, but it pertained to theme errors

• andiroo42

Thanks for the help Rupok, Coursepress immediately breaks the site upon activation with no other plugins activated.
    I'm receiving a not so good fatal error:

[31-Jan-2017 21:51:49 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context in /home/jenniferjill/public_html/learndanielandrevelation.com/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/2.0/include/coursepress/data/shortcode/class-coursetemplate.php on line 425

There was more in the log, but it pertained to theme errors

• Nithin

Hey andiroo42,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

It seems like you have deleted the plugin, the issue was related to WordPress install which had PHP version less than 5.6. Please install the latest version of the CoursePress Pro plugin which has a fix for this issue, the plugin should work smoothly in your website now.

Please do let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Denitsa

Hello andiroo42,
    I trust you're well!

I checked in on your site and I could activate and then deactivate the CoursePress plugin without any errors whatsoever. Do you still experience any issues with that?

Your log's suggesting you're using an older version of PHP, as already mentioned in the thread above (I saw it's 5.4.45). If you're interested you can check the following article on PHP upgrading for a detailed information on the topic in general as well as in upgrading itself:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/updating-php-version/https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/updating-php-version/

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
    Denitsa

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.