coursepress grade math is bizarre

coursepress grade math is bizarre
For example, if I answer one question correctly of 3 single-choice questions, the grade is 50%. Two correct responses gives 83%. Two incorrect responses gives 50%. Am I just missing some clever sophisticated setup here? Because it seems broken.

Here is a little table with a set of 3 single-choice questions:
right wrong unanswered total grade
0 0 3 3 0.00%
1 0 2 3 50.00%
2 0 1 3 83.00%
3 0 0 3 100.00%
0 1 2 3 33.00%
0 2 1 3 50.00%
0 3 0 3 50.00%
1 0 2 3 50.00%
1 1 1 3 67.00%
2 1 0 3 83.00%

Please fix this, or help me make sense of it.

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Howdy Paul

Hope you are keeping well !

Looks like this may be an old bug related to duplicated courses/units. Can you quickly set up a fresh course ( dummy content of course ) and populate it with a couple of units and see if this behaviour occurs ?

Also please update to the latest version of CP ( 1.3.4 ) before doing this.

Cheers
    Jude

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Paul ,

Hope you're doing well today!

I've confirmed this bug and flagged the developer so they can get it fixed up asap. Either myself or the developer will reply back here once we have pushed a fix out.

If you have any further questions in the meantime just let us know.

Cheers, Luís

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Paul ,

Hope you're doing well today!

Firstly, I would like to apologize for all the delay in this topic.

After spoke with the developer seems that this is not a bug, but the way that CoursePress calculates the progress, it's not a "grade" but a "Course" or an "Unit" progress.

CoursePress uses this formula to calculate the student's progress:

Student Progress = total number of completed steps / ( total number of modules + total number of pages )

Where "total number of completed steps" includes visiting pages, not just answering the module itself.

As an example:

Unit with 1 page + 3 single choice modules. First we need to calculate the base ratio:

1 + 3 = 4 items, so 100 % 4 = 25 (the base ratio)

"25" is our base ratio for this unit.

1) If go to the unit and you didn't reply to any question or reply wrongly to all of them, you should receive an unit progress of 25% (the base ratio);

2) If you reply correctly to one question, you should receive an unit progress of 50%;

1 question answered correctly + 1 visited page = 2

2 * 25% (base ratio) = 50%

3) If you reply correctly to two questions, you should receive an unit progress of 75%;

2 question answered correctly + 1 visited page = 3

3 * 25% (base ratio) = 75%

So the calculation on the course/unit progress depends on the number of pages + the number of assessable modules. Non assessable modules are counted as 1 unit of the base ratio, with or without an answer.

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.