CoursePress II upgrade theme appears to be broken

I updated the CoursePress plug-in. It requested that I upgrade the modules I had from version I to version II. That completed successfully. The CoursePress theme has died. When looking under Appearance->Themes there is no preview image. When you do the preview it is a rudimentary site. The login and courses menu items are gone. I have attached the before and after images.

Is there a fix for the CoursePress theme? Can another theme be used with Coursepress? if so, how do you have the student login and Course Listings appear?

I have restored the site to the working copy from the backup I made prior to upgrading the CoursePress plug-in. To recreate the problem, setup a new install of WordPress. Add and activate the CoursePress plug-in. Go the Appearances->Themes and select the CoursePress theme. You'll find that it gives you the bad home page which I have attached.

Jeff

• James Morris

Hello Jeff,

I hope you are well today.

When you setup the CoursPress Theme on your site, did you copy the files for the entire theme into your wp-content/themes/ folder, or did you only copy over your modifications into a child theme there?

The reason I ask is the CoursePress Theme is no longer bundled with CoursePress 2.0. The theme should work with CP 2.0, but you will need to manually copy over the theme into the wp-content/themes/ folder and configure it there. This could be why the preview image disappeared and you are now only seeing a basic site.

Could you please try copying wp-content/plugins/courspress/themes/courspress over into wp-content/themes/ before performing your upgrade. Then see if the problem persists.

If the problem persist, could you please run a plugin conflict test as outlined in the following article? This will eliminate the possibility of a conflict with another plugin. https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

If that does not lead to a solution, could you please enable WP_DEBUG and provide us with the output of your debug.log file?

To enable WP_DEBUG, change the following line in your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

To this:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

After you've visited the pages that are causing you problems, please go to wp-content/ on your server via FTP and download the debug.log file to your local computer. Then, rename that file to debug.txt and attach it to your reply here so we can examine it further.

I look forward to seeing the results of your tests.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Jeff

Here's what didn't work and sort of worked (sort of but only for a little while):

Didn't work: deactivate and remove CoursePress. Move theme folder from under the CoursePress plug-in to the themes folder. Install CoursePress again and activate. Theme image blank and home page is basic as per attachment above.

Sort of worked: restored from backup the pre-plug-in update version of the site. Move theme folder from under the CoursePress plug-in to the themes folder. Update CoursePress plug-in. All is well.

....until.....
    Didn't work: top bar message requested that I upgrade the modules I had from version I to version II. That completed successfully. Theme image blank and home page is basic as per attachment above.

Didn't work: deactivated all plug-ins except CoursePress. Theme image blank and home page is basic as per attachment above (I had done that before submitting the ticket, but wanted to see if it made a difference after having copied the theme file).

Is there a trick to registering the Course theme after moving it?

James, I'm going to look at using CoursePress with a different theme. If I can't get that to work, I'll let you know. I'm not ripped about doing the DEBUG since it looks like the Course theme doesn't quite work because of an incompatibility with CoursePress II. I suspect I'd have to rely on the developer to get that set to right. Not a very appealing or timely option.

Best regards,
    Jeff

• James Morris

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your details on this.

I've seen the CoursePress theme work with CP 2.0, but there may be a risk of incompatibilities since there are so many changes that have been made.

I can confirm that most themes should work with CoursePress though. You don't have to run the CoursePress theme to use the plugin. For example, I've seen many users run themes like Divi.

I apologize for not clarifying that in my original response.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Jeff

Hi James,

Just as a bit of follow-up - I was able to use CoursePress with Divi as well. The shortcodes are mostly working. The [courses_list show='title,description'] only shows the default course details instead of what I have asked it to show. I was able to work around it by using the shortcodes specifically for the title and description. It would have been nice if the course_list had worked, though. Just more feedback as CoursePress II goes into the world.

I'm not sure how you'd be able to communicate that the Courses theme is dicey with the CoursePress II. Having your site blow up (like mine did) as the way you discover it is not a good thing. Thankfully, I had a backup and your help to get past it.

All is well now and I'll be replacing my site soon with the new Divi based version.

Best regards,
    Jeff

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.