After multiple tickets being opened for what I believe to primarily being issues with my site being hosted on an IIS box I decided to move hosts. I was strongly lead to believe, from responses given in my previous tickets, that the would resolve most, if not all, of my issues.
I installed WPMUDev dashboard, hummingbird defender and CoursePress. This didn't go particularly smoothly. During the installing of the plugins the connection kept reporting a timeout error. I believed this may have been caused by too much traffic so waited a few hours and went back and reinstalled.
After the reinstall I have the following issues:
1) Hummingbird is unable to write to the .htaccess file (host has assured me this file should be writeable).
2) CoursePress has caused a fatal error and I am unable to access any part of the site.
I won't lie here, the overall experience I am receiving is terrible from this product and I sincerely hope that the finished result is worth all the effort and hoops I am having to jump through to get a, vey basic, website setup using your products.
The new site is currently accessible at ubgad.hosts.cx until the DNS changes are put in place (I don't have any plans on doing this until ALL my issues are resolved and the website is completed).
Please see attached image of error being received after installing course press.