CoursePress + Membership Integration

Hi there,
I'm wondering if you can help me understand how I should configure CoursePress and Membership. I read the article (https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/membership-2-coursepress-pro/) but I'm still not clear. Here is what I'm confused about.
I want to sell a course. I want the purchase of that course to make the student a member of my website "student". They get access to all the units, and at the end of 6 months (the course I'm offering is 6 months in duration), they get switched to a different membership, "alumni". I also want people to be able to register their email address to receive periodic email newsletters, but I want many of the basic pages/posts on my website to be available to guests without needing to register.

I'm unclear how to configure memberships to achieve my goals. Am I selling a membership or a course? I'm marketing it as a course that people purchase, but its also a 6 month membership, which when it expires switches a different membership type.
If I specify that the course costs 500, how do I assign the "student" membership type to someone that just purchased the course?

If you can help me understand your intended workflow, I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @emilio_gagliardi,

Welcome to the WPMU Dev community and thank you for your question.

I'm unclear how to configure memberships to achieve my goals. Am I selling a membership or a course?

In this case you are selling a membership.

When we have to offer courses as membership and not one time buy out then basically we have to integrate CoursePress Pro plugin with membership pro plugin.

In this type of integration we have to create courses using membership and provide them freely to anyone by setting the course option " Who can Enroll in this course " to "Anyone" and unchecking the option "This is a Paid Course" in the course section "Step 6 - Enrollment & Course Cost" so that the course will be free.

Now we have to protect access of these courses and all payments using Membership. To achieve this you have to enable the membership add-ons "Individual Custom Posts", "URL Protection", "Category Protection " etc. and create a membership( Dripped Content Membership ) and configure it as described on the following page to protect the access of created courses with specific price and for specific duration.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/#product-usage

Please advise if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• emilio_gagliardi

Hi there, I do have a few more questions. I'm finding it too complicated to setup Memberships and courses at the same time.
    I'd like to just sell the course as easily as possible. Someone pays one-time, and the units become available on a schedule I set.

Questions.
    1) In order to sell the course on my website, do I need to use the MarketPlace plugin? Or can I put a shortcode or URL into a button, and have CoursePress handle the sale?
    2) I want to restrict access to the course to only people who have purchased the course, does CoursePress allow that functionality on its own? Once someone buys the course they can access it forever.
    3) I want to schedule an email every time a Unit becomes available. Does CoursePress automatically email students when Units become available, or do I need to create emails/notifications to handle that?
    4) can I integrate CoursePress and Automessage?
    5) Can you explain what CoursePress "notifications" are and what their purpose is?

Thank you/

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @emilio_gagliardi,

1) In order to sell the course on my website, do I need to use the MarketPlace plugin? Or can I put a shortcode or URL into a button, and have CoursePress handle the sale?

To start selling your course, you will need to activate MarketPress plugin as CoursePress doesn't handle selling courses itself but using the payment gateways provided by MarketPress plugin.

The full version of MarketPress has been bundled with CoursePress Pro.

2) I want to restrict access to the course to only people who have purchased the course, does CoursePress allow that functionality on its own? Once someone buys the course they can access it forever.

Yes the CoursePress plugin handles this functionality along with MarketPress plugin.

3) I want to schedule an email every time a Unit becomes available. Does CoursePress automatically email students when Units become available, or do I need to create emails/notifications to handle that?

Currently CoursePress plugin doesn't send these type of emails automatically so you create emails/notifications to handle that but it does send some emails automatically which you can configure on the following path.

Admin Area -> CoursePress Pro -> Settings -> E-mail Settings

4) can I integrate CoursePress and Automessage?

Currently the plugin developer is working on this integration as mentioned on the following thread but the integration is not complete yet.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/is-coursepress-pro-able-to-send-notifications-to-teachers-about-enrollmentassignments

5) Can you explain what CoursePress "notifications" are and what their purpose is?

Notifications are messages that can be sent to the users enrolled to specific courses or can be sent to the all courses. The notifications are shown to end users in their Notifications menu item as shown in the attached screenshot.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• emilio_gagliardi

Thank you for your helpful comments.
    1) Can I schedule notifications or are notifications a manual feature? For example, can I create a set of notifications at the start of a course, and schedule when they are sent to students?
    2) What automation features do notifications support?
    3) In order to sell a course in marketpress, do I need to create a product in marketpress that is "course" and then define the price and product details marketpress manually again? Does marketpress read any of the course details information I've already entered for the course? What integration is available between the two plugins?

Thank you very much

• Kasia Swiderska

Hi @emilio_gagliardi,

1) Can I schedule notifications or are notifications a manual feature? For example, can I create a set of notifications at the start of a course, and schedule when they are sent to students?

No, notifications are manual - you display them to students in selected courses. They are shown to end users in their Notifications menu item - they are not e-mails.

For this you will use e-mails: Coursespro Pro -> Settings -> E-mail Settings tab - you will see there that mails for User registration and student enrolment (and more).

2) What automation features do notifications support?

At the moment - there are non automatic features.

3) In order to sell a course in marketpress, do I need to create a product in marketpress that is "course" and then define the price and product details marketpress manually again? Does marketpress read any of the course details information I've already entered for the course? What integration is available between the two plugins?

After you set course as paid it will be added as a product automatically and it will take description from the course.
    Then you can add course as product (from store, by clicking"add to cart") or on course page (by clicking the "Enroll" button).
    Both actions will add course to cart where users can do the checkout.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• emilio_gagliardi

Hello,
    I've encountered a few problems with the automatic product generation from CoursePress to MarketPress.
    1) cannot edit permalink in product details, yet cannot find where the value comes from in CoursePress. The issue I'm having is that the permalink is to an old version, with a name i want to change. When I click "edit" button, permalink does not become editable.

2) the automatic product generation is not working correctly. The content is not taken from the course description. The SKU is not taken from the SKU I entered on the Course Details Section. I entered GFI-1001 in Course details, and the SKU in MarketPress is the default "CP-00091"

3) when clicking the "enroll" button for my paid course, the cart defaults to open with "3" items. That doesn't make sense. How do I control the number of courses the cart opens with? Obviously I want "1" to be the default.

4) where do I control the sidebars for course pages? My theme allows custom sidebars, but I can't seem to find how CoursePress chooses the sidebar. I want to assign a custom sidebar to the course details page.

5) how do I control sidebar for each page in the checkout process?

• emilio_gagliardi

Plugin Error.
    Under Store > Settings > Presentation
    there are 5 drop down boxes to assign a page to a particular part of the shopping cart process. When I originally setup the store, I clicked the "Create Page" button beside each of the 5 steps.

When you "View All" Pages, the Store has 4 child Pages (see attached image)

However, the dropdown boxes to assign the Pages in MarketPress are not allowing me to assign any pages.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello emilio_gagliardi,

3) when clicking the "enroll" button for my paid course, the cart defaults to open with "3" items. That doesn't make sense. How do I control the number of courses the cart opens with? Obviously I want "1" to be the default.

I can't see any courses on you site. Does the CoursePress pro is still enabled? Could you grant support access again, so I can check this issue? You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

where do I control the sidebars for course pages? My theme allows custom sidebars, but I can't seem to find how CoursePress chooses the sidebar. I want to assign a custom sidebar to the course details page.

Course details page is in fact custom post type - so it uses the single.php file from your theme and will show sidebar for theses template.

If you enable access to your site I will check your theme settings and see if this can be done.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello emilio_gagliardi,

I've check your theme settings and it doesn't handle adding the custom sidebars to post types like one in CoursePress.
    It uses the Divi builder to add sidebars on pages, but because you can't construct courses units with builder then you can't use the custom sidebars.
    Solution here is to set widgets for the courses to the default sidebar "Sidebar" and for the rest of the pages use other, custom sidebars.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.