CoursePress & Paid Memberships Pro

Hey guys,

We are in a bit of a bind right now and need to try and get an answer ASAP today to see if we need to make a drastic switch. Here's our story:

Right now we have a WordPress multisite install running Paid Memberships Pro to govern access across the network (shared user table for the whole install). We have been setting up LearnDash as our LMS on one of the subsites and, up until yesterday, thought it was going well. Turns out that LearnDash and the payment gateway plugin need to reside on the same site, and we have user registration on the parent site of our network and LearnDash installed on a subsite. For the most part it works but it does not unlock the course access across the network, which is a major show stopper. How we missed this over the past few weeks, I'm not sure.

Anyway, we are both looking for assistance from LearnDash and exploring other LMSes. What I'm wondering is, will CoursePress work with Paid Memberships Pro (while I know you have similar gateways in CoursePress, we can't afford to change that!) and will a user registration on one site activate CoursePress access on a subsite in the same network?

Thank you!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Matt,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Judging upon the Paid Membership Pro description, I pretty much suppose that it should deal with our CoursePress fine, however I haven't had a chance to test it yet. I'm sure though, that CoursePress will integrate flawlessly with our Protected Content plugin which should mostly cover the same functionality as Paid Membership Pro.

CoursePress also integrates out of the box with our MarketPress eCommerce plugin, allowing you to sell courses all across your network of site with a benefit of a global checkout.

As for "multisite access", again I'm not sure about Paid Membership Pro but our own Protected Content is designed to work with Multisite setup, thus giving you an ability to protect content on a "per-membership" basis - so, with the properly set access rules users should be able to access courses across the network if only allowed to cross-login to your network.

If you have any further or more detailed questions on this, please ask. I'll be glad to assist!

Regards,
    Adam

• Matt Jacoby

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm sure the WPMU plugins work well together, but we found this issue yesterday and we need it repaired before Monday, so to consider swapping solutions at this point is not really in the cards. Maybe down the road.

After reading your response though, I'm thinking that LearnDash and CoursePress would be the same boat where they do not get that "enrolled now" response from Paid Memberships Pro, which is where we really need that flag to get triggered during registration checkout. In that case, we may be forced to custom code a hook to get anything LMS to respond to a cross network payment from PMPro, so just changing to CoursePress probably won't fix our issue either. What we are missing is what MarketPress and Protected Content would do for CoursePress, and we don't have that right now with our PMPro setup.

Thanks again!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Matt,

I hope you're well and thanks for this information!

Your response leads me to the conclusion that there are two possible scenarios (and the same applies to both Learn Dash and CoursePress):

1) PMPro supports "cross-network" memberships:

In CoursePress you can make courses open and but hide them (each and everyone separately, it goes even deeper than this: down to the single unit level) behind separate memberships. Paying for a membership wouldn't trigger any "enrolled now" action for CoursePress but would "open" the particular course(s) for this user.

If Learn Dash supports similar scenario, this can be a solution.

2. PMPro doesn't support "cross-network" membership and/or Learn Dash doesn't allow you to keep courses (or their elements) open but hidden behind membership (for example with shortcodes) - then the only way would be most likely to custom code a hook, right as you've mentioned.

If you have any further questions on this, please ask. I'll be glad to assist!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.