[CoursePress Pro] Automated Emails to Students

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to send automated emails to students as they move through the course. Note that we do not have graded assignments so there is nothing to turn in. So the trigger would need to be when a new unit is started. Is that possible?

• Nastia

Hello powerofted

Hope you're doing well!

In CoursePress > Settings > E-mail Settings please enable the email called Course Unit Started E-mail. This is an autmated email that will be triggered when a new Unti will be avlailable.

To make this automated email work, please make sure in Unit settings, set a date for Unit Availability

Note that we do not have graded assignments so there is nothing to turn in

CoursePress Pro requires at least one assessable graded assignment to give a certificate. Please consider adding at least one Multiple or Single choice module in at least one unit.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• powerofted

Hi - I saw that but what I need is something a bit different. All of our units are available at all times as we have a variety of people moving through the course it their own learning rate. We do not have any set start dates for courses or units. The class is always available. Given that, how do I send an automated email to people as they start a new unit? The goal is to provide motivation, stay in contact, and create a relationship with distance learners.

Any help on this would be great.

• Oguz

Hey powerofted ,

Hope you're well.

Unfortunately, we don't have the option for that in the current version of CoursePress. So I just flagged it to our SLS team, our developers will check that is there something we can provide you with custom coding.

I just want to mention because of the SLS team working on more complex issues, they can answer in the longer time than regular support staff. Thanks for patience!

Cheers,
    Oguz

• Konstantinos Xenos

Hi powerofted and sorry for the late reply!

The closest I could get to what you want is not when a user 'starts' a Unit but when they actually 'complete' one. Why? 'starting' Unit is actually stateless, because you can go into any Unit at any given time but that doesn't mean that you actually 'started' it so to achieve an actual 'start' would be a bit heavy on the server side as we'd have to check various things before deciding that the student 'actually started' a Unit instead of just visiting it ( does that make sense? ).

To help you a bit though as I've said I went the way of sending a mail when a student completes a Unit instead, so you can send again any message to any given student that he successfully completed a Unit and that he can check back for more!

To set this up you can DOWNLOAD THIS .zip.

Create a folder named mu-plugins into your wp-content folder and place the .php file contained in the zip.

The final path should look like this : \wp-content\mu-plugins\cp-send-mail-between-units.php .

If installed properly you'll find a new E-Mail template in your CoursePress settings ( see attached screenshot ) that you can modify and Enable to send e-mails to students when they pass a Unit.

If you're not comfortable doing the changes yourself, you can send me the information needed to make them for you privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question by following this example:

Subject: "Attn: Konstantinos Xenos"

- Admin login ( if Multisite please provide Super Admin details ):
    Admin Username:
    Admin Password:
    Login URL: 

- FTP credentials
    Hostname:
    Username:
    Password:
    Port:
    Key-File ( and password ) if needed

- Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs -or- information regarding the issue that was not included in this thread

I hope this helps!

Regards,
    Konstantinos

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.