[CoursePress Pro] coursepress pro

Hi. This is a website that I never activated. I'm thinking about doing something with it now but havnt even looged on in over a year. Lots of updating and lost coursepress pro. What to do? Access has been granted.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Douglas,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked your site and I see that you have already updated WordPress itself and most of the plugins. CoursePress Pro, however, needs an additional database update as there was major code re-factoring (actually it was re-written pretty much from scratch) from version 1.x to 2.x.

I'd suggest following steps:

1. Make a full backup of the site first; you could use cPanel for this (usually there's an option for backup) and our own Snapshot plugin - preferably both.

2. You're currently running site on PHP 5.x which is quite outdated and might not be enough for up to date plugins so it would be best to switch it to at least 5.6.x but preferably to 7.x. Usually that can be done via cPanel as well. Please note, if you're going to use snapshot for backup, you might actually need to do PHP switch to newer version first.

3. Once you got backup and PHP updated, go to "Plugins -> All plugins" page in your site's dashboard and you'll see a bit navy-blue banner from CoursePress there. There's a "...before upgrading HERE..." text there where "HERE" is a link - use it to let CoursePress update database and that should bring back your CoursePress data and make the plugin fully functional again.

If you have any additional questions, let me know please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Douglas!

PHP is a scripting (programming) language that your WordPress site is mostly built with. It works because there's so called "PHP interpreter" installed on server. This is a special "program" that reads the code of your site and "makes it an actual site" out of that code. Like any other program, this one also evolves so the higher the version number, the newest it is. If it's older, it might not function "well enough".

A cPanel is a panel used to manage your host. You should have some login information from your host, telling you how to access it. It's usually cPanel as it's most popular solution but some hosts are using different tools as well (e.g. Plesk, WHM, Direct Admin).

If you don't know how to access it and/or are not feeling too comfortable making changes like that, you might want to simply get in touch with your host's tech support and ask them if they could switch PHP for you (suggested version > 7 but if not available, at least 5.6) or help you get access to the host management panel where you can switch it by yourself and explain how to do it.

Give it a try please, I'm sure they should be able to help you with that. After this is done, proceed with CoursePress database upgrade as described in my previous message.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.