[CoursePress Pro] CoursePress - Unit Quiz Change Bug - No Certificate Issued

When you change a unit quiz and or add more units to a live course, the entire course becomes broken. The result is that students only get the pre-completion page . No certificate can be issued and student stuck in ongoing status. Only method of recourse is to rebuild the course. This is not a good solutions with 12K students. (shared exported course: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CbVyKgWp3NHPh2pt314YrONMhPkHFaeK)

• James Morris

Hello Josh

I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue.

Unfortunately, the link you provided returns a 404 error. In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your site?

You can learn how to grant WPMU DEV Support Access at the following link:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please reply back here once you've enabled access so I will be notified.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Josh

Thank you for providing the export. With the course you provided, I see that the course is broken on my test install, but have not been able to identify exactly what is breaking it.

In order to test for a bug in the plugin, I created my own test course with 2 units. I completed the course straight through with one user to confirm that it worked correctly. Then, I created another user and paused half-way through the course and added another unit. The course updated as it should and I was able to complete the course successfully.

Screenshot: http://storage5.static.itmages.com/i/18/0419/h_1524114172_8030650_a5c732ddb6.png

I've attached the course export to this post so you can test this on your site and see if you can confirm it works correctly. If it does, this is a double-confirmation that there's something specific to your course configuration that is causing them to break.

If you are able to confirm the course I made works on your site as expected, would you please grant us access to your site so we can investigate this matter further?

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Josh

If you could setup a staging site for testing purposes, that would work quite well. That could simply be a subdomain setup as it's own site on a different account. If you are using Plesk, cPanel, Webmin or any similar control panel, this would be a fairly simple matter.

You can learn more about setting up a staging site at the following URL https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/set-up-staging-site-cheap-shared-hosting/

Once you setup a staging site, if you could grant access to that site to us, that would allow us to perform any diagnostics necessary without having any affect on your production site.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Josh

I see mention of a staging site in your above mentioned duplicate ticket. In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your staging site and staging server so I can perform some advanced debugging?

NOTE: Please make a full backup of your site before sending the following information.

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Option: I have a different Question

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

~OR~

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Josh

Unfortunately, I've been unable to determine what is causing this on your site and I'm unable to replicate the symptoms on my end. I've flagged for our SLS Team (code experts) so that they can dig into this issue further for you. An update will be posted here as soon as more information is available. Thank you for your patience while we sort through this issue.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Josh

James,
    Ill share what I have done today so that your team knows what has been done on our part.
    --
    Problem Example///
    Course :SI39
    Took the course, Failed the quiz, Got a Pre-Completion page anyway. Returned to the quiz to CONTINUE LEARNING and found that no matter how many times I try the quiz again it still only thinks I attempted to takw quiz once. I Always get the pre-completion page nomatter if I pass/or fail the quiz. When you go back to the course and take the quiz again, it says "Number of failed attempts: 1"
    Note: Taking/Retaking the quiz and changing answers does not seem to get saved either. The original answers I used are always displayed no matter what.

Disabling website plugins below and testing again...
    ---
    SmartCrawl
    Advanced Woo Search
    Collapse-O-Matic
    Custom Sidebars Pro
    Debug Bar
    Debug This
    --no change--

Emmet Theme Engine
    Extra User Details
    --no change--

FV Player
    Head, Footer and Post Injections
    Import users from CSV with meta
    Login Redirect
    --no change--

Shortcodes to show or hide content
    Ultimate Branding
    User Role Editor
    Widget Options
    WP File Manager
    WP-Filebase
    --no change--

Motopress Content Editor
    WPMU DEV DASHBOARD
    menu shortcode
    --no change--

Removing /MU-PLUGINS:
    cp-custom-dashboard-page-sort.php
    default-screen-options.php
    menu-switcher.php
    -- no change --

All plugins in the list were deaactivated and coursepress still not working properly.
    Re-enabling all the plugins and submitting to you this write-up.

• James Morris

Hello Josh

For clarification, what does "I'm unable to replicate the symptoms.." mean?
    Would you be kind and let us know what was tested so that we can keep a history of what is being done .

I sincerely apologize for my lack of clarity here.

I was not able to reproduce the same symptoms with a fresh course on a fresh install of WordPress with only WPMU DEV Dashboard and CoursePress installed, using the default Twenty Seventeen theme. This completely eliminates the potential for conflicts. However, when I imported your course on my test install, the symptoms were reproducible. This indicates that there is something specific to your courses that is causing the problem, but unfortunately, I was not able to narrow this down on my own. So, I called in our code experts to help isolate what is going on here so we can get you back up and running.

Thank you for you patience while we sort through this.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Josh

I'm afraid comparing .json export files for different courses will not give us much clue as to what is going on because the file size would be different due to the different text and options in the files. Our SLS Team is looking into this to see if there's something specific about your courses that might be causing this issue.

Thank you for your continued patience while our team sorts through this.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Josh

James,
    When we take a quiz and FAIL - did you notice that at the very bottom of the screen is a POP UP that says "You did not pass the required minimum grade!" and the user should click OK? This is the first time we have noticed it. Its not popping up.

Also, when you inspect the page for errors, it shows "ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND" ... "blob:https://lineofduty.com/ee390794-ae69-44d2-927f-d32fc57144f1"

What file is missing here? Could this be clue of what is causing the problem?

Thanks - Josh

• James Morris

Hello Josh

I'm terribly sorry for the delay here. I've pinged our SLS Team and let them know that this is an urgent matter for you. But please keep in mind they have a queue to work through and every member's issue is considered urgent. Our team is working on this as fast as they possibly can. Thank you for your patience while they sort through this issue. As soon as more information is available, a reply will be posted here.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Josh

Hi James,

We haven't heard anything back form WPMU support in 6 days.

So. Ill recap because we haven't given up and I need you guys to know what we have already solved on our end while waiting on wpmu to catch up.

Bug 1 -- Students got stuck in a coursepress quiz loop where they could click on TRY AGAIN but answers submitted never got changed and attempts remained showing only "1".
    -- We solved this issue. The problem is that the coursepress coursepress/2.0/asset/js/front.js file is missing a line of code:
    elementsDiv.attr('style','display:block !important');
    there's a show() on that div but it isn't working presumably because some themes will conflict with it.
    -- We correct that issue and now the Bug 1 is fixed .

Bug 2 still needs your attention!
    -- Students who take a course will first watch a video unit, then take a quiz. When a student takes the quiz he/she may only get 10-20% of the questions correct and fail the course but instead of getting a FAIL notification, they get the course "pre-completion" page.

This makes no sense and completely confuses anyone it happens to. It needs immediate attention and a fix as we can not find any conflicts or errors occurring while testing.

• Panos

Hi Josh ,

I'm not sure if the issue I notice on your staging site is the same, not sure what the

the course "pre-completion" page

is

Issue I notice is that after I click on Try again button, the changes I make do not take place, it keeps previous values chosen.

I did remove a condition check on one file at staging site and I don't get this issue any more. I can make changes and pass quiz after I fail.

The strange part is that I can't replicate this in my site. I exported a course from your site and imported in my site. I removed some questions to make testing simpler. I didn't have any issues in my local site. I then renamed and exported this course back to your staging site where I had this issue again.

I have reported this to developer to get his valuable feedback on this. In the meantime you can try replicating this on your staging site and confirm if I am talking about the same issue or not.

Thanks!

• Josh

Panos:
    With all due respect - How can you NOT KNOW what the Coursepress Pro "Pre-Completion Page" is?

Ill include a screen shot for you --- but you are NOT inspiring confidence when your client/users of the CP PRO plugin have to tell you what that is!

For your benefit - and future support efforts - the "Pre-Completion Page" is part of Step 7 of all courses that you create Coursepress Pro. Please go look at this and properly acclimate yourself to the course steps today.

--- Ill comment on the rest of your post response below --

Panos: Issue I notice is that after I click on Try again button, the changes I make do not take place, it keeps previous values chosen.
    Josh: I mentioned that their is a .js script bug in one of the coursepress asset files that causes problems simply because it was missing a final line of code needed on a div class . I have already fixed the issue locally and reported it in the thread above. (Bug 1)

Panos: I did remove a condition check on one file at staging site and I don't get this issue any more. I can make changes and pass quiz after I fail.
    Josh: When did you do that? What "file" are you specifying. Again, Im assuming that you are talking about a BS3 .hide class issue or the issue that is caused by the asset .js file I mentioned in my previous post.

Panos: The strange part is that I can't replicate this in my site. I exported a course from your site and imported in my site. I removed some questions to make testing simpler. I didn't have any issues in my local site. I then renamed and exported this course back to your staging site where I had this issue again.
    Josh: You are likely still only talking about BUG 1, which I have already fixed above. Did you read my post?

Panos: I have reported this to developer to get his valuable feedback on this. In the meantime you can try replicating this on your staging site and confirm if I am talking about the same issue or not.
    Josh: If you read my post above, you will see that BUG 1 has been solved for you already. Please just send them the answer and point them to the file and your team wont have to waist time.

WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER ISSUE IN MY POST ABOVE?

Bug 2 still needs your attention!
    -- Students who take a course will first watch a video unit, then take a quiz. When a student takes the quiz he/she may only get 10-20% of the questions correct and fail the course but instead of getting a FAIL notification, they get the course "pre-completion" page.

This makes no sense and completely confuses anyone it happens to. It needs immediate attention and a fix as we can not find any conflicts or errors occurring while testing.

-Josh

• Panos

Apologies Josh ,

I did not express the question correctly. As I didn't meet that page during my tests I was convinced that you meant that you were having what I had, which is your BUG 1 case. I came directly from our internal reporting system and missed that you mentioned that this was fixed. So I had the impression that you meant that it would not go to the completion page thus you labeled that page pre-completion. Again apologies for the misunderstanding here.

I don't see issue 2 happening on the test course I am testing, this is the page I get after failing for my test course :

and
    [image pos="1"]
    for the SI38 – Watching Your Six #2 course.

Similar with SI39 – Opioid Epicenter: Ohio First Responders Deal with Hell on the Streets which you mentioned here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/coursepress-pro-coursepress-unit-quiz-change-bug-no-certificate-issued?replies=22#post-1316209

Can you replicate this on your staging site? If so is there some other specific course or user that this happens?

Thanks!

• Josh

After a long month of fixing many of these items ourselves - We still have a one problem.

Randomly , a student who is taking a quiz will get the pre-completion page upon submission of the quiz answers vs getting an error pop-up that they failed to pass the quiz and will have to try again. This shouldn't happen.

The student, when activity is reviewed, will not be "Certified" in the individual course-students list. And the Coursepress > Students page with course-list shows that the student didn't have a high enough percentage on the course to get a completion.

What causes this? Its just so strange that this keeps happening.

Question: are there any known theme or plugin conflicts that cause this type of behavior in Coursepress?

• Panos

Hi Josh ,

I'm not aware of such conflicts. I have tried to replicate this on my site but only way this happens is if the unit contains a text module set as assessable.

Does this happen for a specific course? If so could you export and send it over? You can send it from our contact form : https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

Choose option: I have a different Question

In subject add: "Attn: Panos"

And attach the file there. Perhaps you need to zip it first.

Don't forget to include a link back here

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.