CoursePress Pro Feature requests and fixes

CoursePress Pro Feature Requests
Put a link to a usage tutorial in the plugin header area. I could not find one on how to run the input.

Please stop overriding standard wordpress login for the site administrator by automatically transferring to the course login page when wp-login.php is the requested url.

When sending an invitation to an instructor, have the instructors name and email put into a pending area in the DB or in the plugin so when the confirm link is clicked the the Invalid Invitation message does not come up.

Make it plain, the instructor should set up a user name and password then click the confirm link or put a message the administrator needs to add the instructor to the user profile before sending the invitation. This was one of the most confusing areas I have tested so far.

A better email to the instructor would read
Hi Instructor,
Congratulations! You have been invited to become an instructor for the course: Fly Fishing for Beginners
To see information about the course, click the link below.
LINK TO COURSE INFORMATION
If you choose to accept the invitation, you will need to create a user and password to login into the course if you have not done so before.
LINK TO SETUP A USER AND PASSWORD
After you have a user and password, please click the link below to confirm your acceptance.
LINK TO CONFIRM ACCEPTANCE.

Closing salutation

Summaries, units and element Preview on Draft mode seem to have trouble loading my browser FF v 35. Preview loads better when in live course mode.

WPMU has lots of wonderful articles on drag and drop page builders and themes. Seems to me that that functionality could have been used in this plugin.

1. Use the standard Post editor where plugins such as tinymce advanced can be used to extend the functionality of the skinny editor supplied with CP Pro. (such as adding a table for example)
Or make plugins apply to CP Pro like they do to standard wordpress posts, pages, etc
2. Add the autosave that WordPress uses in the posts and pages area to the editor function in CP Pro so we don't lose our work accidentally.
3. In the Course Draft Mode in Overview and Description areas >> ADD a Save button that actually saves what is in the editor instead of publishing a blank page (This has been confirmed) because there was no autosave function attached to the current next button. Keep the next and previous for moving between sections.

I found that when the course is in published mode, any changes or new additions get saved before publishing. ie. Save actually Saves.
4. In the units area when adding an element, there is the choice to show the unit header in the course and each element header. When I chose not to use a 1st element header because the header was the same as the header of the 1st element not checking the 1st page header to be shown resulted in a blank page header in the course summary when published. So the header function is always on would be my assumption. And the check box does not mean anything.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @marshall_estes,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your feedback.

I will move this over to the features & feedback section. This way it can be considered for future development, and we can also see what other community members think about the feature request.

Please stop overriding standard wordpress login for the site administrator by automatically transferring to the course login page when wp-login.php is the requested url.

I have tested it on my test site using latest version of CoursePress Pro plugin & default WordPress Twenty Fifteen theme and found the standard WordPress login is not getting overwritten by the plugin here http://mysite.com/wp-login.php

If it happens for you then could you please share me your site URL so that i can test it?

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @marshall_estes,

Thank you for sharing the video.

I watched the shared video and understood clearly that you are talking about WordPress log in and log out re directions.

You can disable the coursepress redirection by unchecking the CoursePress options "Redirect after login" and "Use Custom Login Form" from its settings on the following path as displayed in the attached screenshot.

Admin Area -> CoursePress -> Settings -> General -> Login Form
    Admin Area -> CoursePress -> Settings -> General -> WP Login Redirection

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @marshall_estes,

A better email to the instructor would read
    Hi Instructor,
    Congratulations! You have been invited to become an instructor for the course: Fly Fishing for Beginners
    To see information about the course, click the link below.
    LINK TO COURSE INFORMATION
    If you choose to accept the invitation, you will need to create a user and password to login into the course if you have not done so before.
    LINK TO SETUP A USER AND PASSWORD
    After you have a user and password, please click the link below to confirm your acceptance.
    LINK TO CONFIRM ACCEPTANCE.
    Closing salutation

You can change the format of Instructor Invitation E-mail from the following path in the CoursePress settings.

Admin Area -> CoursePress Pro -> Settings -> E-mail Settings -> Instructor Invitation E-mail

Summaries, units and element Preview on Draft mode seem to have trouble loading my browser FF v 35. Preview loads better when in live course mode.

4. In the units area when adding an element, there is the choice to show the unit header in the course and each element header. When I chose not to use a 1st element header because the header was the same as the header of the 1st element not checking the 1st page header to be shown resulted in a blank page header in the course summary when published. So the header function is always on would be my assumption. And the check box does not mean anything.

Could you please share the screenshots of the issues so that we can troubleshoot it?

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @marshall_estes,

Thank you for your detailed replies.

I saw the video that you have shared and could reproduce the issue about the Unit Title and Page Label that the check box option 'Show page label on unit.' either displays both text or nothing instead it should only show and hide the Page Labels as displayed in the attached screenshots.

This issue only happens with the CoursePress theme and with the default WordPress theme like Twenty Fifteen.

I have notified the plugin developer to fix this issue.

In the meanwhile to fix this issue try making the following changes in the below CoursePress plugin file on line number 3142.

CoursePress plugin file:
      coursepress/includes/classes/class.shortcodes.php

Before Editing:

if ( !empty( $page_name ) && $show_title ) {
      	$unit->details->$field = '<' . $unit_page_title_tag . '' . ($unit_page_title_tag_class !== '' ? ' ' . $unit_page_title_tag_class : '') . '>' . $page_title_prepend . $unit->get_unit_page_name( $paged ) . '</' . $unit_page_title_tag . '>';
      } else {
      	$unit->details->$field = '';
      }

After Editing:

if ( !empty( $page_name ) && $show_title ) {
      	$unit->details->$field = '<' . $unit_page_title_tag . '' . ($unit_page_title_tag_class !== '' ? ' ' . $unit_page_title_tag_class : '') . '>' . $page_title_prepend . $unit->get_unit_page_name( $paged ) . '</' . $unit_page_title_tag . '>';
      } else if( $unit_title !== '' ) {
      	$unit->details->$field = '<' . $unit_page_title_tag . '' . ($unit_page_title_tag_class !== '' ? ' ' . $unit_page_title_tag_class : '') . '>' . $unit_title . '</' . $unit_page_title_tag . '>';
      } else {
      	$unit->details->$field = '';
      }

Thanks,
      Vinod Dalvi

• marshall_estes

Is there someplace where the attribute values for a course are shown so the values can be used in the short codes. So far I can't find a listing of the values for the course I am building out. A logical place for a link to those values would be at the beginning of the course process where you can edit, units, students and so on links are placed.

And so far I can't get any short codes to display in post or pages tests.

• marshall_estes

After noticing the course id number in the status bar ???. I have been getting some short codes to display in my post test. But in the course_show test, the title call in the text string returns an empty field or no field. the rest of the text string calls in the example returned ok.
    [course show="title,summary,cost,button" course_id="5"] 5 is not the real course id of course.

• marshall_estes

Tried to make a change to the course summary today. Clicking the next button and updating the Course Summary made no changes. Finally had to edit the database directly which is not a good thing to do just to make a simple change that should have been saved if there were a save function working properly on the work area.
    The original Course Summary was a numbered list which did not show up in the Course Summary display box. Summary Original jpg, So I shortened the summary into a sentence structure Summary Change-1 jpg (had to edit the database to get it in there)
    What shows up on the course summary is summary-change-2 jpg.
    What shows up if you click the Preview Button in the Course Summary work area is the Course description page preview jpg not the Course Summary page shown in change-2.jpg

• marshall_estes

Follow up to Short Codes Test. I tested all the basic short codes listed in the short codes list. With the exception of [course show="title,summary,cost,button" course_id="5"] Title not showing on the course I used for my test, all basic short codes worked as listed. The course title short code by itself worked ok.

The calendar short code is pretty cool when displayed in the div tag usage.

• marshall_estes

Multiple use Units and Elements.
    The ability to reuse a unit or an element in more than one course would be a useful addition. Create a free floating unit or an element that has common uses in different courses such as course ground rules or a type of information such as a glossary common to different courses on a common subject.

This could be achieved by allowing a drag and drop / copy function from one course to the next for a whole unit including elements or just for single elements.

It seems to me that this might speed up course development by setting up a respository of common course units and elements which could then be resused for a new course.

The way the plugin appears to work now is it once a unit or element is published, it is stuck with that unit and course.

• marshall_estes

1/25/15 While adding elements to an existing unit tonight that I had previously published, I have lost my input at least 7 times and had to redo it. This includes text in a text element including adding images to illustrate the text.

There is definitely something wrong with the save function in CP. Losing input in the course summaries area and now losing text on save in the units and elements area. I think it is in the read function where the information in the editor window is not getting read properly so the information is not in the save process. When this happened each time a blank editor window was the result after the save.

• marshall_estes

This is probably the problem with some of the save issues. I have been copying from a word document into CP text elements. Since there is no copy paste buttons in the current editor, I am using the right context menu or ctrl v to paste. I would bet a lot of the mso coding is coming over and getting pasted into the CP element which is interferring with reading the code and saving properly.

In the regular wordpress post editor, the paste button strips out the Word coding and leaves only text formatting.

• marshall_estes

@Vinod
    1. The course ID is the main attribute that would be nice to have next to the course title on the adm page. Every short code to display anything about a course requires the course_id. Maybe the course ID is there someplace on the course admin pages but I did not see it. I just noticed the course id in the status bar when hovering over the course title on the admin pages as I was starting a new edit (ie. click Courses > pulls up the list of courses to work with. Each course title shows and right behind it is the ID number). I was looking for the ID to my course so I could test short codes. After testing the short codes, the course ID is the key to making everything else work in the short codes.
    2. the course show is actually in the the short codes in the example under Course Details. I tried the example in my shortcodes test. It all worked except the call to display the title which was a blank area. The rest of the info in the short code example Course Show was fine.
    3. In the short codes is a separate code to display just the title and it worked fine.

Does this help you.

Also please take a look at my post about copying from Word. I think that a lack of the copy paste buttons on the editor is causing the loss of data saves some times because keyboard shortcut copy pastes do not remove the ugly Word code.

• marshall_estes

RE the editor used in the units and elements is not even the basic wordpress one used in posts and pages. Can that be fixed so we can have at least the kitchen sink regular wordpress editor functions available. Better yet let plugins like wp-edit or tinymce advanced work with the CP editor same as the regular wordpress post and pages editor.

If we had the tinymce copy paste buttons used in the WP editor in the CP editor, I could also see if the Word Code is causing the save problems pretty easy too.

I will try the 2015 theme for you but later today. After I get some sleep, I can see about installing the wpmu dashboard and giving you access.

• marshall_estes

@Vinod I have switched to the 2015 theme and disabled all my plugins. I had two instances this morning of an element I was working on did not save. The course and all the units and elements are live so saving should not be an issue but it is. This is where using the regular WP post editor and the WP auto save function to make posts in CP would cure this saving issue. And it would take care of the editor button problem too. I guess I don't see why that was not done in CP. The use of custom taxonomy and custom fields could be used to pull information back out to display the way you want them in CP.

The only factor I can see that might affect the saving is I was running a preview in a separate tab in Firefox 35. I would do my input, save and then refresh the preview page to see the changes live. This is a process I have used in doing regular WP posts and pages and it has not caused any issues with saving or losing my input.

• marshall_estes

@Vinod > I found a place to insert your suggested code around line 3140 inside a set of empty php tags (See attached file). While the code did work for the empty unit I tested it on, it also stopped any of the published units after the 1st unit from showing on the course details page. And it did not take care of the "Untitled Page" label problem. Look around line 3089 for some code echoing Untitled Page as a label.

Placing your code higher in the execution chain may make a difference in how it affects the unit labels, page labels and the Untitled Page issue.

If it was me rather than echoing Untitled Page to the front end display, I would put up a warning message about a blank page label on the back end. If the course developer was ok with the page title being blank for the unit, then your code would not show any "Untitled Page" or anything but the Unit Label which it did do.

• marshall_estes

1/28/15 Just finished one of my units Fly Fishing Basics which has about 7 text elements in it. One of which is a large glossary page. Another has some external links in it. After timing the preview load at 2 minutes and 11 seconds, I killed the preview tab. This is even longer to load than another unit that is very image heavy which does load.

I am convinced some this save failure and load problems probably too are coming from copying from a word docx and having all that ugly Word formatting being stuffed into the database. Without doing several extra steps to remove the Word Code, then reformat the text and then copy paste it into the elements, this issue is not going to go away with the present editor functions available presently.

There is apparently some kind of load limit of what can be put into a unit and still get some efficiency in page load speed. I don't think that the course developer should have to rearrange the way they want the course because of CP design limitations.

• marshall_estes

Update to load test. I have this troublesome unit set to a free trial. This is what is not loading properly. I GTmetrix the free trial link and it timed out. When I removed the ?try from the link, I got a load in about 2.81 seconds for and B page speed and a C yslow.

Anyone attempting to get a free look at a course would not be too impressed by stuff that times out and won't load.
    http://www.fly-fishing-colorado.com/testwp/courses/successful-fly-fishing-for-trout-beginners/units/fly-fishing-basics/?try
    vs
    http://www.fly-fishing-colorado.com/testwp/courses/successful-fly-fishing-for-trout-beginners/units/fly-fishing-basics/

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @marshall_estes,

Thank you for granting us support staff access.

Add the text switch to the editor so the input can be edited directly with html tags if needed. This is available in the regular post editor function.

We had added the unit element Text editor functionality to the CoursePress plugin as described in the following thread but it was causing some issues with other plugin functionality so we have temporary removed it from the plugin until we completely fix the issues generated by it.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-see-htmltext-editor-in-coursepress-unit-builder#post-806766

Tried to make a change to the course summary today. Clicking the next button and updating the Course Summary made no changes. Finally had to edit the database directly which is not a good thing to do just to make a simple change that should have been saved if there were a save function working properly on the work area.

@Vinod I have switched to the 2015 theme and disabled all my plugins. I had two instances this morning of an element I was working on did not save. The course and all the units and elements are live so saving should not be an issue but it is. This is where using the regular WP post editor and the WP auto save function to make posts in CP would cure this saving issue. And it would take care of the editor button problem too

I have tested it on my test site by editing the course summary and it worked fine for me by displaying the update button on updating the course summary as shown in the attached screenshot.

I have tested the same on your site and could confirm the issue that the update button is not getting displayed on updating the course summary , i could manage to display the update button using CSS but clicking on it nothing happens.

Could you please try deleting the coursepress plugin and re installing the fresh version of it( You will not lose your created content in it ) ?

Do you have any development site where we can troubleshoot it by only using this plugin with default WordPress theme or would you mind if we temporary do this on your live site to troubleshoot it?

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• marshall_estes

@Vinod, If you really would rather test on a fresh install of wp, cp and a new db, I can set one up for you. Otherwise go ahead on testwp. That is a test site. Disabling my main security plugin should not change anything as it does something else to provide security that operates independent of the plugin being active. The other one I will export settings. I think that it may loose settings if diasabled. Please do not discuss what I use for security on the thread. While not anything special, there is no sense broadcasting either.

Any of the inactive ones I will clean up the extraneous ones before you use the site again and post here. I still believe some of the saving issues are coming from Word formatting being carried over from the docx. I can copy a table of data in word and paste into CP and the table and data will go straight in. This includes any images because word stores those in some base 64 format. I know because I checked the code in a regular post test. When I first start editing, the save process seems to go one or two times yielding a blank save, then seems to settle down and work mostly ok from then on. Kind of like the process is initializing in some weird way. So I have been saving the table used to control the display of images in my presentation, deleting any images carried over and then uploading the image to uploads for a local reference in CP. Doing it this way as I have no idea what base 64 code stored in the db might do or trigger in my security plugins.

• marshall_estes

@Vinod >> I have set you up with a clean WP 4.1, CP 1.2.4.4 and Dashboard install. CP is not activated. You can do that when you get there to test. There is no content in CP. If you wish me to put some of my course over there I can do that.

This setup gave me a chance to test some WP things I had been wanting to try which so far have worked ok.
    I have removed the wpmu dashboard from the old test site. The new test site should show for you but you will have to change the enable to the new site because I have used up my one enable. Once you do that, I will grant access to the clean install.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @marshall_estes,

Thank you for setting up the test site for us and granting support staff access.

Disabling my main security plugin should not change anything as it does something else to provide security that operates independent of the plugin being active.

When I first start editing, the save process seems to go one or two times yielding a blank save, then seems to settle down and work mostly ok from then on.

Could you please just temporary try disabling the browser extensions if any and also deactivating all other plugins?

This setup gave me a chance to test some WP things I had been wanting to try which so far have worked ok.

Is the Course Excerpt save functionality worked fine for you on the test site?

I have tested on your test site vintest several time and the Course Excerpt save functionality worked fine every time for me so it seems it's your live site specific issue.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• marshall_estes

@Vinod > I did disable all the browser addons that I thought might cause a problem. I had one that destroyed cookies that I though might cause save problems with FireFox but that did not affect the saving of new input in the units area. I also tried IE 11 as a check and had the same saving issues there. See my final report sent under separate ticket as an Other Question for more information.

Thanks for the opportunity to test CoursePress Pro and to work with you, David, Michelle and the others.
    Marshall

• marshall_estes

In the process of transferring my course to another site, some very interesting errors have come up.
    1. When transferring to a site that uses a different table prefix, all most all the links did not covert over to the new working permalinks. I had to reset the permalink structure and am now working through the units and elements to get that fixed.

This was done by exporting an all content xml file and then reimporting back into the new WP install via the WP Importer plugin which usually works ok.
    2. In this transfer process, I wanted to change the size of some of the images I had installed in the original course development. Turns out the program is set to some kind of protected mode apparently because I can't get some of the image placeholders to let go and insert the new images in the same place on the page. On saving, my new sized images disappear and I get the old image placeholders back. This might be much easier if the editor had an image insert button.

• marshall_estes

During this transfer process, I have been watching the saving steps. One of my units I am working on has 7 text elements. I believe the saving process is going down thru all 7 units and resaving all of them every time I make a change in element 2 and hit save. If I am correct, the multiple saves of all the data in the unit leaves multiple chances for saving mistakes which is exactly what I see happening. The save should be only for the unit that has the focus and not resave all the others which might be ok as is.

Working with the little skinny test course and 3 units would probably not show this saving issue.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @marshall_estes,

See my final report sent under separate ticket as an Other Question for more information.

Could you please share me the thread URL so that i can check it?

The save should be only for the unit that has the focus and not resave all the others which might be ok as is.

This can be considered as feature request.

Could you please create a separate topic https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question for your questions as handling all in one thread makes the thread messy therefore others can't read it easily?

Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.