Coursepress Pro Functionality Questions

Hi I'd like to ask you if it is possible to achieve a few functionalities I've got in mind for a learning site I want to create:

1. Would it be possible to bookmark a video lesson from a course as favourite?
2. Preview a course without being a paying curtomer just a normal visitor?
3. Have different menus for different users?

Thanks very much in advancced for your support.

Miguel

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi there @Miguel Ángel

Welcome to the community !

1) No this is not possible, once the student completes the course they will lose access to the material in the course including videos

2) This is not possible out of the box, you can setup a system to offer courses to members for free during a trial period using Membership 2 as a workaround

3) This should be possible, there are many plugins that can help you swap out the menu. You can also do this with a code snippet.

Hope that helps

Cheers
    Jude

• Miguel Ángel
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

The answer to point number 1 has shocked me a bit.You mean if somebody completes a course he would lose all access to it? How does that make sense if he's paying for it? It would be possible to avoid this and keep the access to the course?

Another question, is in Coursepress a video or a quizz of a lesson a custom post type?

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi there @Miguel Ángel

Sorry about not clarifying earlier, you can set the course up in a way it has no start date or end date and that way the will have access to the material even after it completes.

It will show up in their completed courses list and they can go back and access the videos. They still may not be able to bookmark it.

Hope that clarifies

Cheers
    Jude

• Miguel Ángel
    • Flash Drive

Thanks a lot Jude. I think that's fine then. I just wanted to know now if a unit that's part of a lesson in Coursepress is a custom type post. If that is the case I think I should be ablte to program something to bookmark units.

Can you please answer to that?

Thanks in advanced,

Miguel Ángel

• Miguel Ángel
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jude Happy New Year for you too.

I'd like to ask you a couple of questions about Coursepress:

1. 1. Is it possible that when a user is on a leeson the next and previous lesson lesson can be display in a similar way as in the attached image?

2. Also is it possible to make that when a user logs in, he's directed to straighaway to the last lesson he attended?

Is there any documentation about the plugin code?

Thanks Miguel Ángel

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Miguel Ángel,

#1: Not seeing an image attached here, but I would think it possible, though a custom page template would be required.

I would want to look at this link further on the implementation of navigation links:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Next_and_Previous_Links

And I would also want to check out how a unit page is constructed in the CoursePress theme, you'll want to look at this file further:

/coursepress/themes/coursepress/single-unit.php

#2: Possible, though I would think it'd take more than a little custom code to implement.

As for plugin documentation, there's some notes that can be found in the plugin code itself, if you're looking for more, though, you'd be welcome to open a request for that over here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions#question-modal

Kind Regards,
    Michael

P.S. Just so you're aware, we do have a policy on custom development, which can be reviewed over here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/support-vs-custom-development/

• Miguel Ángel
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for your answer Michael.

I'd like to know how could I select the last unit of a course that remains uncompleted. I want to display a message on the dashboard, that says "Hi user XX, you need now to complete lesson Y". Can you give me a hint on how to achieve this?

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi there @Miguel Ángel

Hope you are keeping well.

The best way to do this is by using a dismissible admin notice.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/adding-admin-notices/

You need to perform checks on which page the user is and the course they are enrolled in and the pending lessons. The data is stored in the wp_postmeta / wp_posts tables.

The actual code like @Michael Bissett explained is out of scope for our forum support

Cheers
    Jude

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @Miguel Ángel, Michael here!

Can you at least tell me the name of the fields on these two tables i need to check? I mean the course field, unit and the field that stores the information on weather a unit is completed or is still pending?

Concisely put:

In wp_postmeta (to help get the ID for a course):
    - Check out the "meta_key" column (look for "course_id" as an entry)
    -- check out the "meta_value" column for a meta_key entry

In wp_posts (to get the units):
    - Check out the "ID" & "post_type" columns

In wp_usermeta (to get course completion):
    - "meta_key" (_course_{ID of course}_completed)

(of course, replace {ID of course} with the actual course ID)

Now, from a functionality perspective, I'd also advise checking out the "get_completion_data" function inside of:

/coursepress/includes/classes/class.student.completion.php

As that's what CoursePress uses to get the completion data for a student.

Also can you tell me how much would it cost to hire somebody from WPMUDEV to do this customization?

As to the cost, the price will vary depending on the developer, you'll want to post your budget (what you're able to spend) as you're creating your listing on the Jobs Board.

Please note, though, we here at WPMU DEV do not offer any custom development services, custom development would be provided by active premium members who have a professional profile up on the Jobs Board (as noted in the custom development policy shared earlier).

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.