[CoursePress Pro] I lost all of my course text/info upon upgrading

I noticed that my student-login page was missing. So I went into my site and updated all my plug-ins. CoursePress Pro disappeared. It recommended I back up first and then install the newest CoursePress Pro. I did that. I have all my outlines for my courses but the actual course unit's info/text/images are gone.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi reneedoz,

I have all my outlines for my courses but the actual course unit's info/text/images are gone.

Sorry to hear that, that's really an odd behaviour. I could notice that the Unit descriptions are missing for every units in the both your course, as in screenshot:

However, could notice texts, and images intact in the modules added.

Could you also pin point out where exact the text, and images are missing other than the Unit Description?

In general data shouldn't get lost during an update, easiest way to recover would be to, revert to the previous backup in your system before the plugin update, and make sure to export the courses via CoursePress Pro > Export page, and then update the plugin, and import the courses again via CoursePress Pro > Import page, if the issue still exists.

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could give a closer look, if needed. Have a great day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• reneedoz
    • Flash Drive

I need to update all the plug ins again, but I am nervous to do so. I'm not sure which ones to do first. Right now with CoursePress Pro, My STUDENT LOGIN page is gone. This was the first thing I noticed prior to updating a few days ago as well.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi reneedoz,

I just checked your website, and could notice the plugin version for CoursePress is version 1.3.4.2, which is a release made on 2016.

CoursePress version 2.0 was a major update, had many code refactoring, and design changes. So, upgrading from version 1.3.4.2 to current version which is 2.2, would explain the reason for such text, and infos missing.

The plugin should be 1st updated to 2.0, then to the current version. However, we would like to perform these changes in your staging(clone) website, so that we could compare how the course behaves before, and after plugin updates.

Do you have a staging website? Is it possible for you to setup a staging website, so that this could be extensively tested? You could use a plugin like Duplicator to setup a staging website:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

The steps would be similar to the one listed in here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/guide-to-migrating-localhost-wordpress-to-live-site/

If you aren't still sure about creating staging site, you can also get in touch with your hosting provider, so they could help setup a staging site on which we could further test this out by updating the plugin.

Once the staging site is up, You can send credentials for both your sites by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -LIve Site WordPress admin username
    -Live SiteWordPress admin password
    -login url
    -Live Site FTP credentials (host/username/password)

-Staging Site WordPress admin username
    -Staging SiteWordPress admin password
    -login url
    -Staging Sitet FTP credentials (host/username/password)

-link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Please let us know how you are looking forward to troubleshoot this further.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi reneedoz,

Thanks for sending in the login credentials. When I try to login to the staging site URL, it gets redirected to the live site URL, and I'm getting the following error:

Are you able to login to the staging site dashboard? Please advise, if I'm missing anything, so that we could give a closer look.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi reneedoz,

I have updated the plugin to version 2.0 in your staging, which is the next update after 1.3.4.2. Could you please check whether you still notice issue with images, or text missing?

Unless I'm missing any specific units, I wasn't able to notice any issue at the moment. And could notice some texts which was missing before, appearing fine now. If you are still able to notice the same issue, please point out which exact unit I should be looking, and a screenshot where the missing texts, or images are missing would be helpful.

If you can confirm everything is fine, then would recommend you to export the courses as mentioned in the previous reply, under CoursePress Pro > Export page, you should now see the Export,t and Import pages as part of the new plugin update done.

And then update the plugin to the latest version which is 2.2. If you notice any anomalies again, you could import the already exported course.

The above steps is only required if all the text, and images are intact, if not, please do point where it's missing in your staging site, so that we could troubleshoot it further.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi reneedoz,

I have created a student login page manually in the staging, and added the following shortcode to it:
    [cp_pages page="student_login"],

And assigned the newly created page as the student login page under, CoursePress Pro > Settings > General Settings > Login Slug, and it seems to work fine now:
    http://staging.websiteURL.com/login-student/

Please test, and see if everything is intact now. If yes, you could update the CoursePress Pro plugin to the latest version in your staging as mentioned above, and if you can confirm everything is loading fine, then you can perform the same steps in the live site too.

You can download CoursePress versions from the plugin page, by clicking the "Changelog" link. Please let me know how that goes, of if you have any further query. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi reneedoz,

I could notice that, on giving a closer look, the theme was causing a conflict with the existing CoursePress version in your staging, so hence it's throwing "Warning: Cannot modify header information error.

Are you using the latest version of your theme? I updated the CoursePress plugin, and now when I test the student login page, it works fine.

Could you please check, and see whether all the units, and images are intact, and the student login is working fine in your side too?

If yes, we could perform the same changes in the live site too. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi reneedoz,

Did you already update the theme? I don't see an update available for it anymore.

No, I haven't updated the theme, as there wasn't any updates shown in the dashboard side. I was just double checking with you, whether you are using the latest version of your theme, or not.

Now when I log in (as a student), it says there are no units available in the course.

I could notice this, but when I go to the "Course Setup", and under Step 2 – Course Details, I enabled the following checkboxes, which was un-checked before:

Checking those options, and updating the changes, made sure the units are now available for the students too.

You'll have to do the same for other courses. This is due to the update from old CoursePress version to new versions. When new courses would be created, those checkboxes should be automatically checked.

Please check, and see whether you notice any more anomalies regarding the new plugin update.

Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi reneedoz,

This seems more related to how the theme CSS is overriding the plugin styles. You can add the following CSS inside the Customizer, under Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS.

.module-content ul {
    	list-style: disc !important;
    }

And it should load fine. Please test it out, and let me know if there is anything else we should be looking at. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.