CoursePress Pro is not working

I started with a question about the answer field and why it was not showing up on my preview of my coursepress pro course but I’m unable to reply to that initial question for some reason. I love the idea of this plugin and it seems to work very well on the backend; but, when I tried to add myself as a student and see what it would look like, I can’t even get to the course; when I click on it, it only shows me a page with the title and description, nothing is clickable and no units are visible.

I have updated the plugin and done everything I can to try and figure out why it’s not working; the answer fields are still not visible when I preview the course from the backend; but, making the course seems pointless if the students can’t see the information or the questions.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, @renaissanceinstitute.

I’m the one who replied to that first thread. That’s odd you aren’t able to leave a reply. I’ll make sure to let the team know.

Would you mind granting me support access so I can have a look around?

If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking “Grant Access” button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Thanks!

• renaissanceinstitute
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I’m not sure why I wasn’t able to reply earlier; I was accessing the support forums through the dashboard but it would only work for the initial question. I gave you access earlier and I will extend it if you need. I was also wondering how to deactivate the CoursePress nav menu that has now appeared on all of the themes across my network.

I appreciate the assistance very much, thank you!

• renaissanceinstitute

I just installed the newest update but I’m still having the same issue when I click on “Courses” in the added nav menu. It shows me the title, which I can click on; but, then it directs me to what should be the course but is only the title and description.

If I click on dashboard and then on the “Continue Learning” button, it works!

I’m still wondering if there’s a way to deactivate the added nav menu; I tried looking in my menu settings but it does not appear.

Thanks again for the support; I’m impressed by the quick action of your team!

• renaissanceinstitute

Ok, so I found the option to disable the top menu; but, when I tried to add the links in an existing menu, courses-dashboard does not work and returns a 404 error.

I guess when I couldn’t reply it was because I was trying to access the support straight from the WPMU dashboard and it had signed me out or tried to start fresh, apologies for the confusion.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Renaissance,

Hope you’re doing well today and thanks for your question!

It looks like your courses dashboard page is actually located at:

/blog/courses-dashboard

This is common behaviour in subscirectory subsite to avoid a site being named the same as an already existing post.

For example, if it happened that a site was created with the url “courses dashboard” then it would be given the same url as your coursepress dashboard. This would of course cause one of them not to show.

I tested this on my own installation and my courses dashboard is showing at both urls. Did you create a page called “courses dashboard” at one point then remove it?

Hope this helps! Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,

Tyler

• renaissanceinstitute

Thank you! I'm not exactly sure why that occurred; I don't recall making a page but I'm glad that part is working now; thank you!

I'm still unsure how users will be able to sign up for courses since the Courses page doesn't link to a sign-up option. Perhaps I am missing a particular setting?

The front end shows this:

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, renaissanceinstitute!

I was in the middle of checking your settings, and I suddenly got this error:

Error establishing a database connection

If your site does not display, please contact the owner of this network. If you are the owner of this network please check that MySQL is running properly and all tables are error free.

Database tables are missing. This means that MySQL is not running, WordPress was not installed properly, or someone deleted ct_1_site. You really should look at your database now.

What do I do now? Read the bug report page. Some of the guidelines there may help you figure out what went wrong. If you’re still stuck with this message, then check that your database contains the following tables:

ct_1_users

ct_1_usermeta

ct_1_blogs

ct_1_signups

ct_1_site

ct_1_sitemeta

ct_1_registration_log

ct_1_blog_versions

I’m assuming you’re working on the site right now, but if this is not something you were expecting, let me know, and we’ll take a closer look at this issue as well.

Thanks!

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

No problem! Glad it’s not a new issue!

I think this may be an issue with your theme. This is a link to the details page of the sample course that came with CoursePress on my page, it’s got an “enroll” button that yours does not have. http://michelleshull.com/courses/aenean-auctor-nec-magna-sed-mattis/

Can you try temporarily switching to a default WP theme and see if the enroll button appears?

Thanks!

• renaissanceinstitute

Thank you for looking into it. I could not see an enrollment button on your page; but, perhaps it’s only visible to current logged in members.

Would it be feasible to create another subsite on my network only for the courses so I can use a compatible theme? Would it be possible to edit my theme to make it compatible with the plugin? I wouldn’t want members of my buddypress install to have to sign up for a whole other membership just to access the courses.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi again, renaissanceinstitute!

Let’s confirm it is in fact a theme conflict before we make any further decisions. Did you try my test? You can switch back to your current theme after you confirm that it is in fact the theme that’s causing the issue. If so, then we can try to track down what part of the theme isn’t working correctly.

Thanks!

• renaissanceinstitute

I guess the plugin had been deactivated, though I’m sure I didn’t deactivate it myself. Either way, I activated it and I’m not getting the 404 error; but, the Courses and Dashboard menu items are there again after I had deactivated them. I retried the theme test with the default wordpress theme but the same issue persists; the user cannot enroll in courses from the courses page, though it would be possible from the dashboard if the dashboard listed all available courses.

Thank you sincerely for your continued assistance in this matter; I’m looking forward to putting your plugins to good use!

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hello again!

I feel like I might be getting somewhere, this is a real noodle bender.

One, your units exist, and they’re gorgeous in this theme: http://counselor.tips/courses/the-neuropsychology-of-autism/units/intro-to-the-brain/

(You’ll need to be logged in to see that.)

Two, I think you might have some PHP errors. I’m getting a lot of white screens while trying to do a live preview of some of the other themes (I wanted to see if the enroll button showed up.) That usually means a PHP error of some sort, so I’m going to have you turn on debugging for just a few minutes.

To do that, go to your site’s directories, via FTP, and go to the directory where you have WordPress installed. Look for a file named wp-config.php.

Edit that file, and look for this line:

define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, false );

Change that to true, save, and re-upload.

Now go to your site and copy down any errors you see, and paste those here for me to see.

Third – your site seems to be loading very slow, even in the admin area. Is this a new behavior, or is it ongoing?

Thanks so much!

• renaissanceinstitute

You’ve been so incredibly helpful so far, thank you. WPMU DEV is definitely worth my money.

I wondered about the slowness as well… I don’t know why it loads so slowly. I use Supercache but it doesn’t seem to help. I’ve been making sites for a few years but this one has me completely stumped.

Which theme did you want to link me to? I’m not sure if it was the iBuddy one that I have activated.

here’s the debug report:

Notice: date_default_timezone_set(): Timezone ID ” is invalid in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-content/plugins/resume-submissions-job-postings/resume-submission.php on line 19 Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3370 Notice: Undefined variable: hook in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-content/plugins/resume-submissions-job-postings/resume-submission.php on line 128 Notice: Undefined variable: default_group_header in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-group-plus/buddypress-group-plus.php on line 9 Notice: Undefined variable: default_group_class in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-group-plus/buddypress-group-plus.php on line 37 Notice: Undefined variable: default_plus_map in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-group-plus/buddypress-group-plus.php on line 46 Notice: Undefined variable: default_plus_textfield in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-group-plus/buddypress-group-plus.php on line 54 Notice: Undefined variable: default_plus_textfield2 in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-group-plus/buddypress-group-plus.php on line 58 Notice: Undefined variable: default_plus_textarea in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-group-plus/buddypress-group-plus.php on line 66 Notice: Undefined variable: default_plus_textarea2 in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-group-plus/buddypress-group-plus.php on line 70 Notice: bp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 1.7.) in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3370 Notice: bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 2.3.) in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3370 Notice: register_sidebar_widget is deprecated since version 2.8! Use wp_register_sidebar_widget() instead. in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3201 Notice: register_widget_control is deprecated since version 2.8! Use wp_register_widget_control() instead. in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3201

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hello again! Thanks for the nice words. : )

Okay, everything here is actually okay. These are just notices, not indicators of a big problem. That’s both good and bad, good, because we know your site isn’t misbehaving, bad, because that means we still don’t know for sure what’s happening.

I’m going to flag the developer himself to see if maybe he has some insight I’m missing.

Thanks for your patience while we sort this out!

• renaissanceinstitute

I installed the update to CoursePress Pro but it did not resolve the issue.

If I were to create a subsite only for courses, would the user have to log in and out to access it? I would prefer not to do this so that I could incorporate the courses into the buddypress network; but, if it’ll work then I’ll have to.

I also had a question regarding Membership. I would like to keep the content restricted because this site is aimed at individuals and family who are dealing with complicated and intimate information; but, when I test out a new user at the subscriber level, they have no access to anything and I can’t figure out how to utilize the membership plugin and the privacy options to make this work correctly. Ideally, I would like the users to be able to create their own profile, share information, take psychoeducational courses, and network with other individuals and professionals. I’ve had it working on other sites but this one is just confounding me for some reason.

Thanks again,

Christian

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Christian! (It’s nice to have a name to call you.)

You can do this with Membership, and don’t worry at all about it not working quite right at the moment, Membership can be a real bear to set up. (We’re working on that.)

As for using a subsite for your courses, if you’ve got mutlisite set up properly, creating an account on the main site will give them access to the sub site, so one login should be fine.

There’s also a new update, just a few hours old, to Coursepress. I know there were a lot of bug fixes, so give it a go and see if this update fixes your original issue.

I also wanted to mention that I really like your site. My previous career was working with kids with autism and their families, I think you’re doing a great thing. : )

• renaissanceinstitute

Thank you for the kind words and, again, for the continued support.

I’ve tried the update but it did not work; I actually found the check box I needed to make the membership options apply to new members soon after I sent that last note; thank you for that also!

I’ve re-granted access to the site.

Have a good one,

Christian

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi, Christian!

We’ve been really swamped for the past week, half of the company is at WordCamp, and those of us still here are covering at least two people’s schedules. So sorry for the delays.

I’ll check in with Marko and see if he’s got any additional insights.

• renaissanceinstitute

Thank you. I guess I’m kind of just curious to know if this is an issue that will require me to change themes, wait for an updated version, use another subsite, or if it even works with Buddypress. I would appreciate any kind of guidance on whether this is an issue with the plugin or with the theme that can’t be solved.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Christian,

Hope you’re doing well today and thanks for getting back to us!

Do you mind re-granting support access again?

I’ve been reading through this thread to catch up and is the issue still that the enroll button won’t show up while logged out? The enroll button actually only shows for logged in members.

So, with that said, is the issue now that you don’t have a way for logged out users to request enrollment on the course page?

Look forward to hearing back Christian!

Cheers,

Tyler

• renaissanceinstitute

Hi, thanks for your interest. I don’t think the issue was that the enroll button didn’t show up for logged out users; I understand that that’s not possible… the issue is that the details page doesn’t lead to anything and doesn’t have an enroll button. I tried making another account to test it; but, it still didn’t work.

I’m not sure if it’s my theme or the plugin. Obviously, the plugin works with other themes but I would like to incorporate it into my buddypress theme if possible so I don’t have to manage two separate sites. I kind of just want some clear guidance if it’s going to work with the theme or if I should abandon that as a plan; it’s been a few weeks now…

I’ll regrant access now.

Thanks again!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Renaissance,

When the user is logged out it should be giving them a “Sign up” button; however, since you have registration disabled on your site it won’t, might not even if it was enabled due to the theme issuing we’re having here.

When the user is logged in, it should give hte “enroll” option.

It looks like your theme isn’t using the courses template.

Can you try moving the archive-courses-single.php into your themes main folder? See if that works :slight_smile:

You could also try placing the course button manually in the description with this shortcode:

[course_join_button course_id="2"]

Replace ID with the courses actual id.

Let me know if that works on your theme :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Tyler

• renaissanceinstitute

Hi Tyler,

Thank you so much for your help. Unfortunately, I cannot locate the file “archive-courses-single.php” in the themes folder in the coursepress plugin folder. I will try to download another copy and hopefully find it there.

I never thought about shortcodes! That is very helpful.

I’ll keep you posted.

• renaissanceinstitute

I’m at a loss. For some reason, not even the shortcode is working. Is there a buddypress theme you could recommend that is relatively streamlined and not cluttered that would support coursepress? I’m surprised that I can’t get this working.

Also, I’ve tried enabling registration and it’s not changing anything.

• renaissanceinstitute

It’s working!

I enabled registration, re-logged in with my test user, and now the enroll option is there. I still couldn’t find the theme page you mentioned and the shortcode didn’t work but the basic functionality is there.

I guess I thought that using the membership plugin would account for creating accounts; but, I was wrong. I appreciate the help and I hope I won’t have to ask questions again; I can’t believe I was making such a basic mistake.

• renaissanceinstitute

I thought it was resolved but now, immediately after installing an update of coursepress, my site no longer connected to the database and now I’m receiving this error after I’ve disable most of the plugins and got the basics back up and running:

Notice: bp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 1.7.) in /hermes/bosnaweb05a/b2509/ipg.theunsignedsoundscom/counselortips/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3370

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @renaissanceinstitute,

The message you’re describing is caused by BuddyPress or a plugin that has something to do with BP.

It has nothing to do with the CoursePress plugin… in fact the bp_setup_current_user function is not used at all in the plugin!

This message is a simple PHP notice, nothing more than that.

You can safely ignore it.

You can learn how to hide these notices from the article here: http://aristeides.com/blog/wp-hide-php-errors/

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Ari.

• David
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

If you find that the Virtual Pages are giving a 404 error on a HTTPS site try the following:

In coursepress/coursepress.php line 5296 needs to be changed as follows:

$full_url = "http://$_SERVER[HTTP_HOST]$_SERVER[REQUEST_URI]";

Change to:

$full_url = ( is_ssl() ) ? "https://$_SERVER[HTTP_HOST]$_SERVER[REQUEST_URI]" : "http://$_SERVER[HTTP_HOST]$_SERVER[REQUEST_URI]";

I have raised this to be fixed: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/coursepress-pro-virtual-pages-https

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.