Coursepress pro plugin update will not install

I had to install Coursepress pro via FTP as the automatic install via WPMUDEV would not install.
I see in my control panel there is an update for Coursepress pro plugin. Each time I try to install the update, it shows, installing update....then nothing happens, eventually the page times out. Thereafter I cannot gain access to my site for maybe 10 minutes, even after clearing cache.

Peter

• Tyler Postle

Hey Peter,

Hope you're doing well today!

CoursePress is a fairly big plugin, so it's likely that it's timing out on the upload. If you increase your servers max timeout that will probably fix the issue. here is a guide on how to increase that:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Common_WordPress_Errors#Maximum_execution_time_exceeded

Alternatively, you could just download the plugin from our site and unzip it then upload the "coursepress" folder directly to your /wp-content/plugins folder :slight_smile: - first delete the version you have now.

If you still need any further assistance with this then just let me know! More than happy to help.

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. You can manually download the plugin from the project page as seen in my screenshot: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/coursepress-pro/

• peter

Hi Tyler,
    Thanks again for your swift reply.
    I have increased the server max timeout to maximum. I started plugin update via admin dashboard. Eventually the update stopped:

(The update process is starting. This process may take a while on some hosts, so please be patient.

Enabling Maintenance mode…
    Updating Plugin CoursePress Pro (1/1)

without closing the site as did before, so the maximum timeout does work, yet, it seems the updating plugin stops loading. I clicked on refresh to try again but it took me to a:

Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.

even if I click on Dashboard within the control panel, it takes me to the above.
    It takes a little time before I can log back in to my site.

Further, it would not be viable to keep deleting and downloading the plugin in order to install updates.

Peter

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @peter,

Hope you had a nice weekend :slight_smile:

There are few more things that might be causing this, first one would be the maximum upload size, you can change this in your php.ini file by changing upload_max_filesize to, let's say 32M

Other thing that can be causing this is temporary folder, if it's too small than that can be the issue, this is something that you can check with your host.

Maintenance mode is being activated by WordPress itself until the updates are finished, or if you have an error it takes some time to disable it as you experienced first hand.

Let us know if above solutions worked for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.