CoursePress Pro "units" not showing

I have activated coursepress pro and created a course with two units included. But when I preview , the units does not show up.

If I log in as a different user to enrol in the course, the units does not still show up. this message is displayed

"0 units in the course currently. Please check back later."

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Joseph!

Would you mind if I took a closer look? If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

Thanks!

• marshall_estes
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

If you clicked the save button before clicking the draft button to save a draft, you get a blank unit published and saved. Save does not mean save, it means publish. In regular wordpress posts, when you publish without saving a draft first, the core saves a draft and then publishes it. In CoursePress Pro, the save/publish is immediate with no draft being saved.

I know this because I saved first and got a blank unit and then used phpMyAdmin to find the unit in my db and see it was published and there was no content in the db.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, Marshall!

I just ran a test on my own site to confirm that save = publish, rather than draft, and I am seeing what you see. I've dropped a note to the dev to confirm this is the default behavior, and when I hear back from him we're going to add some details to the usage guide to make this process a bit clearer.

Thanks for your feedback and great testing, marshall!

• marshall_estes

Thanks for checking it out. But adding details to the usage guide is not going to fix what is not working with CoursePress. Use the standard hooks and actions wordpress uses for its functions so that autosave is used with the publish function. There is no autosave used anywhere in CP from the course summaries down to the units section as far as I have been able to tell. This is not some mysterious process we are doing here. It is making posts just like with the post editor in the post process. There is autosave in the regular WP post process so why not use what is offered in the regular WP actions or functions rather than make up custom ones which work in some confusing way.

And Please stop using labels on buttons that don't mean what the words mean. Save means Save. Not Publish. Next and Previous mean a movement between functions, sections or similar. Next in the course summaries section is being used for SAVE and move to the next section. This kind of stuff is confusing, makes a non user friendly GUI and increases the learning curve of the application.

If WPMU wants CoursePress to compete with WP-Courseware or Udemy process, it will have to be a lot more intuitive and easy to use than it is right now.

I am not saying this to bust chops but just stating a reality. When you get a lot of comments about so many issues with an app, it is a good sign that some redesign work needs to be done.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for your feedback, I have added this to the features & feedback for the developer to look at and hopefully consider in a future release. We do appreciate any feedback from our members which can help to improve the usability of our plugins. Afterall, it is you who is actually using the plugin, so if we can make this as simple as possible for you to use, we will certainly look into it.

Hope this helps

• marshall_estes

A short update on my tests. Today I continued the build out of this course. But I published the course even though it was not done. So I was publishing real time as I went. The SAVE worked fine in this mode and I did not lose anything. So maybe what happened yesterday was particular to the draft mode settings. Hope this information helps.

Still can't get any working links on the Course summary page though. Text of the unit headers but no link to the detail. Any thoughts about that issue.

• marshall_estes

I guess that I was expecting to be able to see a the titles of what was in the course before signup. After enrolling as a student, that information was available. But it would be nice to see it before enrolling. Maybe the preview function is there and I did not see to turn it on.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey Marshall!

Links aren't working in the summary because that's the equivalent of the WordPress excerpt. If you'll notice on most WP blogs, if you see the excerpt on a blog or archive page, it will have all the HTML stripped from it. We can avoid this with a little workaround: https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-excerpt/

This plugin will keep any HTML (like links and formatting) in your excerpt. I just did a quick test on one of my own sites, and it worked with CoursePress and my other custom post types, as well.

Let me know if this helps.

• marshall_estes

@Michelle > is there a way to get at least the kitchen sink editor of regular WP posts in the Unit and elements editor so we can see the text view of what we are working on. Or better yet an easy way to make wp-edit or tinymce advanced apply to the visual editor in CP.

• marshall_estes

If I could find the code where the custom editor sets its buttons, I might be able to add what I want. But it would be better if the change was a plugin change. There could be a switch on the admin panel to allow the post editor or the custom editor of coursepress. Seems that would be solution that would fit most requirements. If tinymce advanced or similar post editor enhancement plugin was running, a hook to the regular post editor could also pull in what the post editor was set to use.

Re the advanced_excerpt plugin. Yes that will do nicely. I had to do several tests to find out what a couple of the setting did but it works quite well. Thanks for passing it on.

• Geoffrey
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Seems like this bug hasn't been fixed up to now.

I wonder how people use this plugin. I have both a 1.x versions and the 2.x version and they all don't work - the unit pages are saved but the page content are not saved.

I create two page contents, a text and video then click save.

The page reloads and then says that 'no item has been added to this page yet'.

WTF! I just added content before hitting save?

I have spent the last 5 hours trying and repeating the same process with no success.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.