Coursepress, select student or instructor at sign up?

Just wondering if it is possible to let the user select either student or instructor at sign up?

Or maybe just have the allow instructor capabilities automatically set to true on sign up?

Thanks,

David

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @David, hope you're doing well today, welcome to WPMU DEV! :slight_smile:

Hmm... with the way that CoursePress Pro is set up presently, a user becomes a student by signing up for a course (once he's registered), so setting him up to be a student when he's not even signing up for a course (at least, not yet) would be a problem.

Likewise, a user only becomes an instructor for a course, so you run into the same problem: what course are they becoming an instructor for?

Could you elaborate on why you're wanting to set things up like this? Perhaps a workaround could be suggested here. :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• David
    • New Recruit

Hey there,

Thank you for your response.

My vision is to have the site fairly automated. So when a new user signs up on the site, who wants to be an instructor, they are automatically accepted. In other words, I don't want to have to go into each new users profile and set their instructor capabilities to "allow." Is like someone to see the site, think "Hey, I want to teach something," and then be able to do so without needing me to give them access. The reason for this is that I receive a ton of traffic from outside the US and would like to capitalize on it. But, in general, if someone has to wait 8 hours till I wake up, they will be discouraged and move on. Does this clarify a little?

Thanks again,

David

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there @David

Thanks very much for your patience on this issue, and I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

Assigning the instructor capabilities at registration can be done, but it would require a bit of custom coding.

It also raises another question: do you wish to offer your users the option to register as either a student or an instructor?

If so, then you're going to need to also customize the registration process to allow for that selection.

This actually sounds like an interesting feature to request. It could even be integrated with our Membership plugin to allow you to charge a fee for membership as an instructor.

I'll alert our 2nd-level team to this thread to see if they might have an idea on how you might get this working, and to spark some discussion around the idea.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Susan

As a SLS developer is flagged, he will be available soon.

I just want to add a suggestion, as you want people to register as a instructor, how's about offering a multisite. So, that a person can register as a subsite owner, he can create his own courses in his site and students can signup to enroll his classes.

Cheers
    Ash

• Hoang Ngo
    • Code Slayer

Hi @Susan,

I hope you are well today and many thanks for your patience.

On this topic, would it be possible to automatically make Editors and Administrators Instructors? Or having the ability to set a specific Role in WP as Instructors also?

For making an user with Role of Instructor, we have the function assign_instructor_capabilities, example of usage

global $coursepress;
    $user_id = ID;
    $coursepress->assign_instructor_capabilities($user_id);

For remove the Instructor role from an user, you can do in similar way, just need to replace the function assign_instructor_capabilities to drop_instructor_capabilities

If you have any issues please don't hesitate to let us know so we can assist

Best regards,
    Hoang Ngo

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.