CoursePress should allow instructors to see course content in the courses where enrolled

I submitted a separate ticket about no longer being able to see Courses You Manage, but I think there is a more general issue in CoursePress where instructors should be able to see the course content and access anything that the students can access...and more.

To that end, I have two suggestions on how the Instructor role should work:

1. By default, the instructor should be able to access the course on the front end of the site. Currently, unless they are also enrolled as a student, they can't see the course. This limits their ability both to respond to student questions about the course as well as their ability to interact with the student in the discussion board.

2. In the instructor capabilities settings, there is a limit on the instructor's ability to view the units. As you can probably tell from the above, I don't think there should be a limit to view the units in the courses where the instructor is enrolled, but if there is a valid use case for this, there should at least be a setting that allows the admin to give the instructor the privilege to view their own courses, without also giving them the privilege to view everyone else's courses. Currently, if I check "View units in every course", the instructor sees all of the units in all courses and there is no ability to limit their ability to just view the units in the courses where they are enrolled.

• Ryan Hale
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ari, you closed my other ticket, but while they are related, I think they may actually be separate issues. Please consider these issues:

In my previous ticket, I was reporting that Courses You Manage doesn't appear any longer where I previously was able to see it.

Here, I'm suggesting some additional features.

But maybe this is all related?

Thanks,

Ryan

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again!

I believe it's related, yes... If it turns out to be different we can always work on both posts. I just reopened the other thread pending more info on this one.

I just tried loggin-in to your site using the access you granted us but unfortunately I was unable to because it was requesting me for a user/pass, probably from an htaccess protection.

Could you please disable that protection so that we may further investigate?

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ryan,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your feedback here!

As for the instructor having to be enrolled as well, I totally agree - the instructor should have access by default - I thought this was already on our request list; however, I couldn't find it so I will add it again just to make sure :slight_smile:

Your second part here looks to be related here too. Essentially, we want instructors to be able to view and participate in discussions for their own courses but not others correct? That is what I will add to the request and if you have anything further to add just post back here.

Have a great rest of your day Ryan.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.