CoursePress - Trouble setting it up for our needs

Hi There,

We are new to CoursePress and are having troubles setting it up.

What we want to achieve: We have courses with 5 to 10 unites each. Each unit shows a video. Once the video is watched, he or she should click the done button and jump to the next unit. There is no assessment. If a unit is passed by clicking done, the next unit is accessible. Once all unites are done he or she can get to the next course.

Problem: How do we have to set the course? At the moment all courses are accessible or nothing happens, once clicked on done.

We don't need to show all the course details. Is the only way to disable details with CSS disable:none?

Thanks for your support.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Tee,

On every Unitthere is option "User needs to answer all mandatory assessments and view all pages in order to access the next unit" - and I think this is option you have to tick. If you don't put any mandatory assessments, students will not to have to answer, but they still need to view all pages (in your case pages with videos) to get to next Unit.

As for access to next Course, in every course edit page, there is tab enrolment. In option " Who can Enroll in this course ", you need to choose "Anyone who completed the prerequisite course" and then choose previous course.

We don't need to show all the course details. Is the only way to disable details with CSS disable:none?

If you are using the child theme for default CoursePress theme, then you can modify the templates for the theme.
    It will be content-course-overview.php file and you will find short description in line 38

<?php the_excerpt(); ?>

and the long desctiption in line 72

<?php the_content(); ?>

so you can remove those lines. If you are not using the CoursePress theme or it's child theme, then the CSS is way to go.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• Tee
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks for your reply.
    Now we have a strange problem:

We changed the text of a course (Step one & Step two). There result is, that no content is shown on the single course page. No Course Overview and no Course Description. Every where else we can see both, when we use short codes.

Can this page be created and filled with short codes instead of using a "virtual page"?

many Thanks, Tee.

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Tee,

We changed the text of a course (Step one & Step two). There result is, that no content is shown on the single course page. No Course Overview and no Course Description. Every where else we can see both, when we use short codes.

Could you please tell me how have you changed the text of a course (Step one & Step two) so that i can troubleshoot it?

Can this page be created and filled with short codes instead of using a "virtual page"?

No currently we don't have any shortcodes for it.

BTW: We've tried to copy content-course-overview.php into our child theme directory with no success. Changes had no influence. is there a specific subfolder?

Actually along with the file content-course-overview.php you have to also overwrite the file single-course.php by copying it in your child theme directory.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Tee
    • The Crimson Coder

OK, the first two problems are solved (Our mistakes).

But when we copy content-course-overview.php and single-course.php to child theme directory, the result doesn't look the same. Is there another file missing, witch needs to copy to the child Theme's folder?

Thanks.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Tee,

Is there a way I can see your site? I tried to use support access and just view it, but I'm redirected to the login page every time. You can give me access by sending credentials to your site. You can do that by using our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: "Attn: Kasia Swiderska"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me

As for the screenshots - this is probably because you didn't modify template pages you copied to your child theme to have similar construction as templates from your theme. Please, note that those template are from coursepress theme, so the layout will be different.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

• Tee
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi There,

is there a new development?

Normally if we copy a file from a main theme or plugin to the child theme's folder, the result looks the same. Only with this plugin the result is different, as you can see above.

Thanks, Tee.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Tee,

I'm really sorry for the delay! This took me a while to figure out why this was not working.

In the archive I've attached there are template files and one directory:
    - single-course.php
    - content-course-overview.php
    - functions.php
    - inc directory.

Copy directory and single-course.php, content-course-overview.php to your child theme folder.
    Open your functions.php file and new one and check they are the same till line 69 - if they are the same, you can override old function with new one. If not, copy code from new functions starting from this line

require get_stylesheet_directory() . '/inc/template-tags.php';

into existing functions.php (be sure you are pasting it _before_ the last ?> ).
    Template I'm sending has already removed short and long description of the course.

Kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.