CoursePress v2.0 problem with multiple choice retry

subsite: essentialoilsacademy
course: Essential Oils 101

Almost all questions in this class are discussion type. However, I have thrown in a couple of multiple choice with the ability to retry. I was hoping that it functioned in that it gave them immediate feedback upon submission and they would be able to re-answer again before moving on to the next section. Unfortunately, it is not doing this but rather at the end of the class indicates that they failed the question. However when they click on the retry button it does not bring up the question. See unit "Oil Basics" > "Why use essential oils".

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello antKat,

I accessed the page and went through the course (sorry for all these "test" answers) and at the end I was given the message that the course has now to be reviewed.

I then checked the question and even though it's set to required it's not set as assessable and there are no correct answers set. With this setup the a student should be notified that he/she has to retry (and I wasn't) so I suppose you have changed that meanwhile, is that correct? Could you please set the course (that part) again exactly as it was set before? Or if I'm missing anything, could you please give me a "step-by-step" guide what I should exactly do (including answers that I should mark) to replicate that on your site as a student?

Best regards,
    Adam

• antKat

Hi Adam,
    I made the changes to the multiple choice question. The question is required and a correct answer is checked. However, in a test, if an incorrect answer is given, the student is able to just go on to the next section. Is it possible to set it so that the correct answer needs to be retried before going further?

In addition, now if an incorrect answer is given, when the student goes back to page, the question is displayed but the multiple choice items are not displaying. There is a "retry" button but that doesn't bring up the multiple choice items either. See unit "Oil Basics" > "Why use essential oils".

• Dimitris

Hey there antKat,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

However, in a test, if an incorrect answer is given, the student is able to just go on to the next section. Is it possible to set it so that the correct answer needs to be retried before going further?

You should check the "User needs to answer all required assessments and view all pages in order to access the next unit" and "User also needs to pass all required assessments" options in unit page screen in order to achieve this.

In addition, now if an incorrect answer is given, when the student goes back to page, the question is displayed but the multiple choice items are not displaying. There is a "retry" button but that doesn't bring up the multiple choice items either. See unit "Oil Basics" > "Why use essential oils".

I just tried to replicate this in a test installation with no avail. Each time I could see the answers I had before, and "retry" was getting the multiple choice items. At least until the time I got the "Allow Retries" number that I'd set.

I can also see that you haven't selected the "Assessable" option which will make this unit a gradable item. This should be set in order the "User also needs to pass all required assessments" option to work.

Finally, you use a "multiple choice" unit type instead of a "single choice" one, as you have only a single correct answer.

Could you please make sure you make these changes and test again your web flow?
    Or, can I edit these details, create a dummy user account and further test?

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• antKat

Hi Dimitris, thank you for your response. I would appreciate if you made the changes and tested with a dummy user account. We are also having a problem with the login after user is created using the modal pop-up. Perhaps you will be able to see what may be creating this problem as well. (I have another ticket for this issue).

Site: vitalityadvocates.com
    Subsite: essentialoilsacademy.vitalityadvocates.com
    Course: Essential Oils 101

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi antKat,

Looks like this change is still not working on your site because multi-choice field doesn't load after retry and there's nothing in console error that would tell us what's going on.

I've applied changes Dimitris suggested and it would be helpful if you could conduct conflict test now by disabling your other plugins to see if that makes any change.

If that doesn't return any result can you enable debug log in your wp-config.php by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Try to retry the multi-choice question and hopefully this will create debug.log file in your /wp-content/ folder that could tell us what's going on.
    Can you please save it as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• antKat

Hi Predrag,
    I ran the debug and there are two PHP notices related to CoursePress

[22-Dec-2016 11:37:28 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: mandatory in /home/j93df0x5apwc8q/public_html/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/2.0/include/coursepress/data/class-student.php on line 811
    [22-Dec-2016 11:37:28 UTC] PHP Notice: Undefined index: assessable in /home/j93df0x5apwc8q/public_html/wp-content/plugins/coursepress/2.0/include/coursepress/data/class-student.php on line 812

There is another WPMUdev plugin PHP Strict Standards notice for Slide-in. This notice is coming before the coursepress notices. Note, the slide-in plugin is activated but has not been setup yet.

[22-Dec-2016 11:37:28 UTC] PHP Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class Wdsi_Options in /home/j93df0x5apwc8q/public_html/wp-content/plugins/slide-in/lib/class_wdsi_options.php on line 9

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Kathy!

I checked your site again and while these notices shouldn't be "critical" they may be related here. I have imported your course to my local test site (it's off line so it's not available from the web in case you worried about the content) and found that I'm getting "stuck in a loop" with one of the questions.

I then found that in your "Introduction" unit there are two sections: "WELCOME" and "Welcome". The second one is "empty" - there's nothing except section description (which we currently are fixing because they are not being displayed properly). This section seems to be preventing the student from going any further. When I removed it from my setup I was able to go through entire course and it seems to be working fine. I assume you wouldn't want to remove it so could you perhaps add some module to it (e.g. just a text module with some description) and see if that helps?

Best regards,
    Adam

• antKat

Hi Adam,
    This has been very strange and the only thing I can think of is that there may be a problem with updating. There "had" been to versions of the Welcome section, however one had previously been deleted. On my dashboard only one had been showing. After your last thread, I went back and saw that the second Welcome was now there so I went ahead and deleted it again. I then went back to test on site but still got the loop with the module id # in permalink.

I then saw that we can drag the unit order so I went ahead and recreated a new Unit 1 since it only had one section and then deleted the entire original unit 1. I can now progress through the course units.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.