Coursepress version 1.2.5.3 gives me Internal Server Error

I just uploaded to Coursepress Pro version 1.2.5.3, and now my course doesn't work anymore. It loads forever, then gives me Internal Server Error.

I have paying students, so this needs to be fixed really quick.

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi again @Oyvind

We'd like to take a closer look at the site. Preferably a demo/beta site where we can test on if possible. Also just giving you a heads up this may in some cases be caused by a incomplete/corrupt update so manually downloading the folder and doing the update via FTP seems to fix it.

Can you please send in

Subject: "Attn: Jude Rosario"
    - WordPress super admin/ admin username + password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel details
    - phpMyAdmin details ( To check database )
    - MySQL details ( IF you dont have phpmyadmin)

-link back to this thread for reference

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Cheers
    Jude

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi again @Oyvind

We'd like to take a closer look at the site. Preferably a demo/beta site where we can test on if possible. Also just giving you a heads up this may in some cases be caused by a incomplete/corrupt update so manually downloading the folder and doing the update via FTP seems to fix it.

Can you please send in

Subject: "Attn: Jude Rosario"
    - WordPress super admin/ admin username + password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel details
    - phpMyAdmin details ( To check database )
    - MySQL details ( IF you dont have phpmyadmin)

-link back to this thread for reference

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Cheers
    Jude

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi there @Oyvind

Sorry for the huge delay here.

I've just installed the latest version of the plugin on your site. v1.2.5.7. This should fix the white screen error you were getting as well as a bunch of other minor fixes.

Can you login, activate the plugin and confirm the same ?

Jude

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi there @Oyvind

My colleague George just informed me that the site is not working correctly. Can you please specifically tell me what's wrong.

Please reply here on the thread. I don't monitor the email queue and there will be a delay in me getting your message if you reply there.

Im watching this space and will sort this issue out in real time

Jude

• Oyvind
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jude,

I don't always get notified when something happens on this thread for some reason, so I sent a new email. But ok, let's continue here.

I see that you have installed the latest plugin. And now the course does not work anymore, just like the issue I started this thread with. I get an Internal Server Error.

I get the error when I am logged in and I try to access the dashboard with this url: http://buildyourgadgets.com/courses-dashboard/

I've fixed this twice before by downgrading to 1.2.4.9.

Oyvind

• Oyvind
    • Flash Drive

There are styling issues with 1.2.4.9 that I mentioned in another thread, so I'd rather get the new version working.

I'm on my phone now, and between meetings. Tried to read about the debug thing but couldn't figure out how to do it.

Are you able to do it? You have all login details in the mail thread.

Oyvind

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Yup I mentioned 1.2.4.9 as a workaround just so that your students don't get locked out. I can do it too as I have access details. Just a heads up you'll have a small downtime as I run these tests.

Also the other thread seems to be partly responsible for the mix up and delay on this one. I think its best if we fix the Internal server issue and get you updated to the latest version on this one here and then keep the one with the styling on the discussions there.

Cheers
    Jude

• Oyvind
    • Flash Drive

Still not working.....
    The course has been down the whole day now. So I'm gonna go back to 1.2.4.9.

If you still need to do tests on the latest version, then feel free to change it again. But change it back to something that works as soon as you have made your tests. I can't have any more whole days where the course is down.

Oyvind

• Oyvind
    • Flash Drive

Just so that we are not talking over each other's head here: I have no problems installing the plugin. The problem is that the course stops working with the new version of the plugin. The front page works fine. The admin works (even though it seems to slow down), but I cannot get into the course.

I am trying right now, and I cannot get into the course.

I've added the support user as a student of the course. Please let me know if you can get into the course and see the course content.

Oyvind

• Oyvind
    • Flash Drive

It's getting late, and I can't stay up all night waiting.

Can you please make sure that my students can view the course content again?

If it's not possible to get the new version working within an hour or so, can you please downgrade to 1.2.4.9 so that my students can log in again?

And please confirm it by logging in as a student and make sure you can see the course content.

Thanks,
    Oyvind

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Oyvind,

I tried this out with the support account as well and didn't have any problem. I did the 2nd unit up until the quiz since I didn't know any of the answers :smiley: perhaps I should sign up for the course for real lol.

With that said, since it looks like you're offline now I've gone ahead and rolled your CP version back .4.9 just to be on the safe side and ensure your students can still get in. When you're back update it back to .5.7 through the dashboard and see if it's working for you too :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• Oyvind
    • Flash Drive

Hi,
    Thanks for your help so far.

Ok, so this is what I did:
    -FIrst I tried with 4.9 again which was installed when I woke up. And I could log in and see the course content.
    -Then I updated to .5.7
    -Trying to access course content by going to http://buildyourgadgets.com/courses/build-your-own-electronic-gadgets/units/, but no luck. It loads forever, then gives me "internal server error".
    -Front page and backend still works
    -Logging out
    -Logging in again. It loads forever, then gives me internal server error. Probably because it redirects me to the dashboard. But I'm logged in again and can browse the backend.
    -Logging out again

(All of the logins above was done with my oyvind user)

-Now I'm logging in with test_user2, which is not an admin, but a student.
    -Now I can access the course content!
    -Trying one last time to log in and access course content with my oyvind user... But I'm back to the internal server error again.

So it seems like the problem is linked to my user (and maybe other users?)

How to proceed now?
    Oyvind

• Oyvind
    • Flash Drive

Hi Jude,

I never got around to deleting my admin user and creating a new one, because I thought the error only affected me.

But today I got an email from a student who's experiencing the same problem. So the problem is not only with my user.

I've downgraded once again to solve the problem. You have full access to the site now, so feel free to do whatever needs to be done to fix it.

Let me know if you need anything from me, and keep me updated so that I know this is moving forward.

Oyvind

• Joanne
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Oyvind I have been having the exact same problem with 500 internal server errors upon log along with some of my students for a couple of weeks, I fixed it myself by updating my server to use php5.5 and I also changed the process timeout from 60 to 180 seconds. I am on a dedicated server so I have root access to the settings if you don't you need to contact your hosting compay and ask them to make the changes. Coursepress pro is such a big plugin with so much data that the pages need time to load. After making the changes the login page still takes a while to load but no longer returns the 5000 internal error page and login in :slight_smile:

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey @Oyvind and @Joanne

I see the developer's feedback has already been requested in your new thread. That's one of the reasons I suggested a new thread.

@Joanne Of course we will fix bugs and ensure the plugin works as intended in the upcoming releases.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.