Courses and units not visible to registered students

When a new user is registered for a course I have to manually add the student to that course since the course dashboard is initially empty. Even after manually adding the student to the course, units still not visible.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Tony,

Hope you're doing well.

When a new user is registered for a course I have to manually add the student to that course since the course dashboard is initially empty.

Can you tell me if this is happening only when free coupon is applied or for regular paid courses as well?
    Also, is it specific to paid courses or the free ones are having the same issue?

Even after manually adding the student to the course, units still not visible.

I tried importing your course in my local installation and I can see the same issue there, but strangely there's no errors or anything that would tell us what's going on.

What I did notice is that when I create new units in that course they will show up normally, but not the old ones.
    I see that the unit availability is set to January of 2016, is this a course created on CoursePress 1.x that was later on converted to 2.x?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Tony

Hi!
    This is happening for both paid and free courses with the coupon. It isn't the first time we have had the issue. It was resolved once in the past and the problem has returned.

I don't know exactly when the courses were created in regards to the Coursepress software. My courses are all fairly old so I am guessing they were created on 1.x. I had this problem once in the past as well, a solution was found and now the issue is back.

Thank you!
    Tony

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Tony,

That patch should have been fixed in the updates in the meantime, but I'll double check that with the developers to see if that's indeed the case.
    Could you try applying that patch once again and tell me if it works after that?

I don't know exactly when the courses were created in regards to the Coursepress software. My courses are all fairly old so I am guessing they were created on 1.x. I had this problem once in the past as well, a solution was found and now the issue is back.

I checked your previous threads but I couldn't find old reports for this I'm afraid.
    But since I'm able to replicate it with your course I will forward all the information I gathered to our developers so they can check it out and see what's going on.

One more question, did this course worked at any moment since you updated to 2.x or this is the first time this course is available again since the update?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Tony

Hello Ivan,
    Thank you I went through my courses and checked all the boxes. I also unselected all the FREE preview boxes. Question for you, this issue presented itself after an update to Coursepress. Everything was working until I did an update and it appears your team changed the framework of how Units are selected. As you can see in the picture Units were checked in each of my courses but apparently not enough of the boxes were checked. I also never selected allowing FREE previews and yet that box became checked in all my courses.

So there was obviously a failure in the update process of the plugin. I definitely appreciate the updates and the fixes but stuff like this where my entire business is disrupted because I update the plugin are very frustrating. If an update is supplied but it is going to break my courses then there needs to be a notification of some kind that after completing the update I will need to make sure my Units are selected. This is the third time I can remember that a Coursepress update broke my courses.

Just to confirm, I have two pictures attached the "current" image shows how each course was after the update and before I fixed them. You see the Unit boxes are checked and the FREE boxes are checked. And then the "correct" image displays what I did after your suggestion. Have I checked the correct boxes to make my Units work?

Thanks!
    Tony

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear you had issues with the updates so far, the 2.0 release was a major one as lot of the stuff has been changed down the hood and actually rewritten from the scratch.
    The update shouldn't be breaking the course, and I just tested it on my installation again to be sure, and there it worked fine, all the units were still available after the update.

Thing is that with all the plugins, themes and server configurations out there we can't be sure if something would disrupt this process and that's why there's a notification to create a backup of your site before updating form CoursePress 1.x to 2.x in case that anything goes wrong.

Also, when doing any kinds of updates we always strongly suggest to do them on staging site first, and check that everything's in order before pushing the changes to live site.

We do our best to test each release as much as possible but sometimes there are things that are specific to certain installations and we don't see them during the tests.

Just to confirm, I have two pictures attached the "current" image shows how each course was after the update and before I fixed them. You see the Unit boxes are checked and the FREE boxes are checked. And then the "correct" image displays what I did after your suggestion. Have I checked the correct boxes to make my Units work?

Free column is not needed and the current setup from your screenshot will be enough, I also tested this with your course imported on my installation and the units were shown after that.

Best regards,
    Predrag