Courses not working in CoursePress

Hey guys,
Working on my CoursePress install. I created my course and everything worked well. I just went to try and take my course and I am getting a 404 page when I try to start my course. Here what the link looks like: http://xyz.com/courses/xyz/units/.

The course is straightforward. Just one unit with a video in it.

Thanks for the help.
TB

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tony,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question.

Can you try re-saving permalinks first? You can do this via:

Settings > Permalinks.

If that doesn't work then try temporarily swapping to the default 2015 theme to see whether it's a theme conflict.

It looks like you might be running an old version of WordPress too, can you update to the latest 4.1 version, sometimes an old WP version can conflict with up to date plugins.

If none of that works then do you mind granting support access so we can take a closer look?

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Michelle Shull

Hi Tony!

It looks like there was a little glitch (on our end, it happens sometimes) with support access, can you reset it by revoking access, then re-granting it?

Did you happen to run a theme check already, as Tyler mentioned? I just checked my own install, where I have a handful of courses, and everything is working for me (but I did have to resave my permalinks.)

Are you using pretty (meaning anything other than the default) permalink structure?

Are you maybe using a caching plugin? If so, try temporarily deactivating it while you're working on your courses or doing development, so you can see your changes live.

Thanks, Tony!

• Tony

Hi Michelle,
    I have tried everything and I am still getting a 404 when I try to take the Course. My permalinks do have a Custom structure, /%category%/%postname%/.

I thought that maybe it had to do with my Admin status originally, so I signed out and tried to sign up for the course. I signed up and "Purchased" the course but through that process I was never prompted to create a Username and Password??? So I am wondering what I am missing there too.

Thanks so much for the help. The support privileges have been Granted again.

Thanks!
    Tony

• Tony

UPDATE! I discovered that I hadn't Checked a box in my General Settings to allow new people to register. I checked that and now it looks like the Login challenges are fixed. So I am able to sign up for a course and create an account.

I still haven't figured out how to actually take a course. Something isn't work right. When I log in as the user I create... There is no place to actually take the course. The course page has no button.

Also can you tell me what User Role the new Students in CoursePress get? When I am testing as the Student, I have access to some stuff I shouldn't in the wordpress dashboard. So I need to figure out how to limit the permissions of the User Role. Let me know if that makes sense???

Thanks so much for the help!
    Tony

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tony,

Hope you're doing well today!

Can you try swapping to a new theme and see if it's a theme conflict?

I tried my sandbox with the same permalink structure and it still worked fine on mine :slight_smile:

As for the user role, it is the subscriber role that a student is given. Which menu items shouldn't they have access too?

The reason that no one can sign up for your course right now is because you have it set to "manually add only" this is in step 6 of the course setup process :slight_smile: you can change it by editing the course.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing back Tony!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tony

Hi Tyler,
    Thanks for checking in... Right now I can't switch the theme because we have a real time functioning site that I am trying to add this new product too. I am hoping to get it onto a subdomain at some point which would help with some of that testing. But for now I am stuck... Do you really think it is theme related?

I am hoping you have some advice on the User Role and Sign Up issue. Yesterday I checked the box in General Settings to let anyone Register for my site. While that was checked I tested out the process and was able to sign up for a course and create an account. It all worked well. However, when I logged into that account on Wordpress, I had access to the WP Dashboard. I didn't have access to everything but I did have access to Blog Comments, and a couple of Plugins. So I need to figure out how to eliminate that problem. It would be nice if my users didn't have any access to that backend content.

Also about 30 min after I had checked that box in General Settings to let anyone register for my site. I had a spam registration, it only took 30 mins for them to find that! And then of course that person had all the access that I mentioned above. So I deleted the Spam user account and unchecked the box for the time being. That is why the course is set back to Manual. Have you heard of this issue and how do I go about fixing it??? I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of spam Users in my WP.

Thanks so much!
    Tony

• Tony

Hey Guys,
    I have done some work since the last time you responded. My site address is now bmcacademy.barlowmccarthy.com. I figured that if I could get the site off of my main site then I could do more troubleshooting to figure out what is going on.

I went and rebuilt the course that I am testing and it is still not working! I encourage you to do a test and see what you think. My course is set for FREE right now so you can sign up for a course and try it out. When I sign up and create a U and P it all works. Then I go to START LEARNING and I am redirected to my hello-world sample blog post. Which I deleted so it gives a 404.

My permalinks look good and I am using a CoursePress theme so that shouldn't be an issue. Please advise as I am on a deadline with this and stuck with this current error. I went through and did all the steps you have already run through with no positive results.

I also had this question from my last question: Also about 30 min after I had checked that box in General Settings to let anyone register for my site. I had a spam registration, it only took 30 mins for them to find that! And then of course that person had all the access that I mentioned above. So I deleted the Spam user account and unchecked the box for the time being. That is why the course is set back to Manual. Have you heard of this issue and how do I go about fixing it??? I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of spam Users in my WP.

Thanks!
    Tony

• Tony

Hi Marko,
    Thanks for your note! We discovered this at the exact same time! I hadn't realized that my admin had installed extra plugins. Thank you very much for looking into it.

FYI: I reposted this question so feel free to resolve that. I do have one follow up...

Is this an issue or concern???

Also about 30 min after I had checked that box in General Settings to let anyone register for my site. I had a spam registration, it only took 30 mins for them to find that! And then of course that person had all the access that I mentioned above. So I deleted the Spam user account and unchecked the box for the time being. That is why the course is set back to Manual. Have you heard of this issue and how do I go about fixing it??? I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of spam Users in my WP.

Thanks!
    Tony

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.