Courspress & Marketpress process flow

Good morning

I am confused about the interaction between coursepress and marketpress.

I am setting up a training site and have just ran some test purchases and none of them went well. I have completed 3 purchases and I cannot see any of them in the course press dashboard so something is going wrong somewhere.

1. Can I ask, what happens when someone purchases a course. Do I actually have to go into MarketPress and complete an order?
2. Why if I am logged in, do I have re-enter my details to complete the order. This additional step would be off-putting to a new customer
3. I received an email from the system (attached) with so much information on it which is totally irrelevant. Why does this happen
4. In the second email I received, there is a download link (attached again) which is totally misleading as you cannot download the course, you have to do it in CoursePress. So why is that there and where did it come from?
5. As a new customer who has purchased a course, I should now be able to see the course I just purchased but I can't. How do I do that?

I am sorry for the number of questions but they are all related so thought I should put them all out there.
Steve

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Steve,

1. Can I ask, what happens when someone purchases a course. Do I actually have to go into MarketPress and complete an order?

Yes. When someone purchase course they have to go to shopping cart and checkout (pay) and the they have access to course.

2. Why if I am logged in, do I have re-enter my details to complete the order. This additional step would be off-putting to a new customer

Those are billing information in case that invoice should be on different name than user that is buying it.

4. In the second email I received, there is a download link (attached again) which is totally misleading as you cannot download the course, you have to do it in CoursePress. So why is that there and where did it come from?

It came from MarketPress because this is digital product. MarketPress at the moment handles all digital products the same way, thus that message.
    You can find it in the Notification settings

3. I received an email from the system (attached) with so much information on it which is totally irrelevant. Why does this happen

It looks like issue with course products set up as digital download. Can you tell me if you had those courses configured with MarketPress before last plugin updates? Because on your site they are digital products and when I test them on my they cant be digital and non of those email is send.

5. As a new customer who has purchased a course, I should now be able to see the course I just purchased but I can't. How do I do that?

There is bug in MarketPress that prevents orders to work correctly when Stripe is used. Our developers are working on fixing that, but for now workaround is to use PayPal gateway or WooCommerce.
    Im adding your thread to bug report so you will get update on that as soon we get hot fix.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Steve

Hi Kasia Swiderska, thank you for your detailed comments. Please find answers below

There is bug in MarketPress that prevents orders to work correctly when Stripe is used. Our developers are working on fixing that, but for now workaround is to use PayPal gateway or WooCommerce.

This is really sad news. Have you ever tried working with Paypal, they are a nightmare . Stripe makes our lives so much easier. Is there any eta on this fix?

It came from MarketPress because this is digital product. MarketPress at the moment handles all digital products the same way, thus that message.
    You can find it in the Notification settings

I thought it did. As I mentioned, due to it being a link, it is miss-leading as people think they can click the link and download the training. Is there anyway we can remove it, rename it or redirect the link?

It looks like issue with course products set up as digital download. Can you tell me if you had those courses configured with MarketPress before last plugin updates? Because on your site they are digital products and when I test them on my they cant be digital and non of those email is send.

No I didn't have them configured with MarketPress before hand. So if I have a course in CoursePress, does it automatically create a product in MarketPress? So if it is coming from MarketPress, can I delete them from there and this issue will be removed, or can we "turn-off" that email?

I really appreciate your help Kasia, Steve

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Steve,

This is really sad news. Have you ever tried working with Paypal, they are a nightmare . Stripe makes our lives so much easier. Is there any eta on this fix?

I'm afraid we are not allowed to give any ETAs. I can ping again developers to at least get a hot fix - because there is non at the moment.
    I know that Stripe is better to use than PayPal and this is very unfortunate bug.

I thought it did. As I mentioned, due to it being a link, it is miss-leading as people think they can click the link and download the training. Is there anyway we can remove it, rename it or redirect the link?

It is possible to remove that link: please see here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/remove-download-link-from-email-notifications#post-993749

No I didn't have them configured with MarketPress before hand. So if I have a course in CoursePress, does it automatically create a product in MarketPress?

It creates product automatically when you create or make course paid. Free courses are not products.

So if it is coming from MarketPress, can I delete them from there and this issue will be removed, or can we "turn-off" that email?

Here is problem - that email should not be send when digital product is used because this is shipping info - but we are not able to replicate issue because when I was testing this I found another bug (its reported to developers) that prevents me from changing product type (from physical to digital like on your site). That is why I asked if those products were created before the update of CoursePress.

You can edit it in notification and remove content of that mail - its mail for shipping for mixed products.

However - because that emails should not been send (for what I seen shipping was disable on your site) I'm wondering if you could run a quick plugin conflict test as illustrated in getting support manual (flowchart). I want to exclude that any other plugin is preventing this from working correctly.
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

kind regards,
    Kasia

Steve

Thanks for response @bastetmilo. Kasia I am going to pull in Sajid into this conversation as well as we are now experiencing a bit of crossover with issues I am having and I think we need to be all talking to sort this out. I Have been talking with Sajid on this topic https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/virtual-form-not-showing#post-1199367

Guys, given the issues I am having I decided the build a test site to try and find out what is going on with this. The site is test.recruitmentschool.com.au. It doesn't have an ssl so I can't test properly but wanted to play around with other elements to see if I could get closer to sorting these issues out.

In the test site, I totally removed the MarketPress and CoursePress plugins and reloaded them. I also changed the theme and disabled all other plugins to make sure there is no conflict. It was a direct copy of the main site as I wanted to see if the issues are elsewhere in the set up

Here is what I have found
    1. The issue with Stripe also applied to Pin and eWay (I have now signed up with all of them). All three payment processors accept the payment, but none of the courses actually show in the dashboard
    2. The virtual forms are still not working in test site even though I have changed theme and have disabled all plugins

So, I then created a brand new install of CoursePress and MarketPress in a site that has never had them installed before, and set them up. There are no other plugins installed and i don't have a theme active either. I created three test courses and set up Stripe and Pin as the payment processor. (site = http://www.test2.startupalliance.com.au support is activated)

Here is what I found
    1. Even though they were selected, virtual forms do not work
    2. Pin - Course successfully showed up in market press as paid for and in dashboard
    3. Stripe - Payment received, order shows up in markepress however doesn't show in dashboard
    4. When you originally set up the course press, and you click on a course, it can't find it and comes up with a 404 error. However if you go to products, you can open the course. This is a new problem.

So with all this going on, what I would like to know is if these issues are generated from CoursePress or MarketPress. I need to get this site going and if I can't using the wpmudev products then I will have to move to someone else. Can you please help me.

Steve

Kasia Swiderska

Hello Steve,

Glad you found workaround. I just want to add one comment

4. When you originally set up the course press, and you click on a course, it can't find it and comes up with a 404 error. However if you go to products, you can open the course. This is a new problem.

Saving permalinks again (Settings -> Permalinks) helps with that type of issue. Re-saving is called flushing permalinks, so WordPress can recognize the new custom post type (course is custom post type) and display it correctly.

kind regards,
    Kasia