CousePress Pro - Creating, managing and selling online courses in WordPress has never been easier.

Hey all,

Some of you will recall we launched a beta of a plugin called CoursePress sometime back, we listened to all of your super awesome feedback and we're now ready to officially launch CoursPress so go grab yourself a copy and have a play:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/coursepress-pro/

coursepress pro allows you to quickly create beautiful courses all within WordPress – whether you’re selling or sharing your knowledge, this plugin will save you time and make your work stand out.

It even comes with its own beautiful theme, seriously go check it out!

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/coursepress-pro/

Sell courses via credit card and PayPal

You can run your courses for free, or sell them to participants through credit card, PayPal or manual payments, you can even show potential students previews of your course. Upgrade for access to dozens of gateways.

If you find any bugs then please open a new ticket to ensure we can track and provide support:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

Have fun people, and thanks for being awesome members helping us get this great plugin out to you! :slight_smile:

• amused
    • friend of Bill. W.

hi,
    i now installed and am trying out.

1 - can this be integrated with "ProSites" in such a way that when someone purchases a pro site they automatically get access to the courses ?

2 - can the "certification" be monetary such as discounts or one month free pro site ?

3 - can you elaborate on the bundled version of "MarketPress" ? if i want to sell other goods do i still download "Market Press" separately on top of the "bundled version ?

kind regards ?

RC.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @RC,

Thanks for your initial comments and followup questions! :slight_smile:

1 - can this be integrated with "ProSites" in such a way that when someone purchases a pro site they automatically get access to the courses ?

It's definitely possible to use it as a premium plugin in Pro Sites though the type of access you've mentioned here would be user-based, whereas Pro Sites is a site-based plugin.

Membership would be more applicable for user-based integration like that. And I believe integration with that is planned.

2 - can the "certification" be monetary such as discounts or one month free pro site ?

Not currently, but I'm sure that's something that could be done with enough requests. Sounds like a really cool idea!

3 - can you elaborate on the bundled version of "MarketPress" ? if i want to sell other goods do i still download "Market Press" separately on top of the "bundled version ?

We're actually looking into that one right now! Currently, the bundled version just works with CoursePress features though we're looking into how to best implement the standalone MarketPress. We should have more details on that shortly!

Hope that helps with your initial questions!

Could I ask how the process is going with trying it out? Would love to know more of your thoughts on it so far. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Davida

• amused
    • friend of Bill. W.

1 - first this is one of if not the best admin/backend user interface and layouts i have seen for any plugin.

2 - using your default theme, the menu disappears when i drag my browser all the way to the smallest to replicate a phone and basically no way to access the courses etc. in the menu. did not try it out directly with a phone though. (don't have a BIG iPhone 6 yet) :slight_smile: i could be wrong but just for your perusal u can double check that.

3 - personally i like how "ProSites" and a lot of wpmudev's plugin integrates with each other to give greater possibilities. regarding my questions above, here is a specific e.g. wpmudev is big on multisite, and "ProSites" is one of your top plugins. So i sell wordpress sites with pro sites similar to edublogs, wordpress.com etc. so now rather than having tedious manuals and videos for people to learn how to use their product/wordpress, "CoursePress Pro" seems ideal to leverage and make the learning fun, intuitive, rewarding etc. but as i said, only for people who have purchased a pro site, then they automatically get access. and possibly people without a pro sites can watch the "course introductions"

4 - i was getting some really funny things happening with a video i uploaded on the course introduction page. using "Twentytwelve" the video was somewhat in the middle of the page but there was a separate bar with the play, pause etc. at the top that was jumping, disappearing, and sticking also making the video unable to play. i know that is a horrible description, i will try to find time tomorrow to capture this for you with screen shots or video (ScreenFlow).

will also test further and give as much feedback as possible but generally for such a comprehensive plugin the learning curve is incredibly low mainly to the wonderful UI.

kind regards,

RC.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @RC,

Awesome feedback! Thanks so much for your thoughts on it all so far.

1 - first this is one of if not the best admin/backend user interface and layouts i have seen for any plugin.

I couldn't agree more! There's this team of super developers here with a keen eye on making really powerful features that are totally accessible and easy to use!

2 - using your default theme, the menu disappears when i drag my browser all the way to the smallest to replicate a phone and basically no way to access the courses etc. in the menu. did not try it out directly with a phone though. (don't have a BIG iPhone 6 yet) :slight_smile: i could be wrong but just for your perusal u can double check that.

Feature request added - iPhone 6 for all DEV members! :wink:

I had a look and actually, the menu does disappear but it's replaced by an interactive menu. I've attached a screenshot illustrating that. Could you let me know how that works for you?

3 - personally i like how "ProSites" and a lot of wpmudev's plugin integrates with each other to give greater possibilities. regarding my questions above, here is a specific e.g. wpmudev is big on multisite, and "ProSites" is one of your top plugins. So i sell wordpress sites with pro sites similar to edublogs, wordpress.com etc. so now rather than having tedious manuals and videos for people to learn how to use their product/wordpress, "CoursePress Pro" seems ideal to leverage and make the learning fun, intuitive, rewarding etc. but as i said, only for people who have purchased a pro site, then they automatically get access. and possibly people without a pro sites can watch the "course introductions"

Yeah, I totally get your point and couldn't really agree more that it'd be nice to have functionality to integrate with Pro Site like that. The thing is, with Pro Sites, users can have more than one site and they could also be admins on multiple sites as well. That makes it tough to tell which user account should get access to user-based features.

I think it's possible, just will take a bit of work to sort out. I'll discuss this with some of the team and see what might be possible with that.

4 - i was getting some really funny things happening with a video i uploaded on the course introduction page. using "Twentytwelve" the video was somewhat in the middle of the page but there was a separate bar with the play, pause etc. at the top that was jumping, disappearing, and sticking also making the video unable to play. i know that is a horrible description, i will try to find time tomorrow to capture this for you with screen shots or video (ScreenFlow).

I'll try and replicate that with 2012 (it's my default theme of choice) as well but how is the video handled? With a plugin or default WP?

Looking forward to hearing back on this! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

• amused
    • friend of Bill. W.

still no dice for me with the included theme menu.
    took 3 screenshots at different sizes using Safari.

but how is the video handled? With a plugin or default WP?

not sure your question exactly, i simply uploaded a video using wp media and added using the plugin itself under Step 2 - Course Description / Featured Video / Browse

• fox
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I didn't see anywhere in the details or usage area, does this automatically block access to the content for those who aren't registered/paid for courses? Or does this also require using something like Membership to block all the content and downloads?

It looks beautifully done.

• Virgil
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello,

I installed Coursepress on the Genesis sample child theme with a opt-in widget. It threw off a lot of the settings and I had to discontinue just a bit until things are worked out.

Just letting you folks now. But would be happy to get it to work on the Genesis framework.

• Alvin

Hi,

There is some problem with the [course_signup] shortcode.

on a page:
    .........................................................................................
    content
    content
    [course_signup]
    .........................................................................................

But the page appears as:
    the sign up form
    content
    content.

Is the shortcode hard-coded to appear before other content on page/post?

Thanks.

• Rheinard
      • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi @yes2christ,

Do you mind opening up another thread for this one?

I'd like to know some more information about how you imagine classes to be working. Depending on your response, the answer to your question could be different.

Its certainly something that came up a while ago in the development discussions, but it was clear there is more than one way to do it. So would love to hear from you.

Cheers,
      Rheinard

• Alvin

The Theme that comes with this plugin does not seem to be Responsive. I would have thought that a responsive theme is a given since it's marketed as "beautiful"? Hope you could update the theme to a responsive theme asap. Thanks.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Alvin,

Hope you're doing well today!

The latest updated has actually added in some improvements to the responsiveness :slight_smile:

I've been testing out the packed theme with the latest version and haven't seen any non-responsive issues yet. Are there any sections in particular that you are finding to not be responsive? Let us know and we'll be more than happy to help!

Look forward to hearing back Alvin.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Alvin

Hi Tyler,

Thanks and well done.

yes, I do see improvement in the responsiveness...just that it has missed sizing content in div, span tags:

<div style="font-size: 100px; color: #3b5998; text-align: justify;"><span data-icon=""></span> <span data-icon=""></span> <span data-icon=""></span> <span data-icon=""></span> <span data-icon=""></span> <span data-icon=""></span> <span data-icon=""></span> <span data-icon=""></span></div>

Maybe you can test it out? thanks in advance.

Feature wise, I would love to see course categories where we can tag a course as a type and then list courses by types (using shortcode). Wouldn't that be useful? I am also not sure what the label is for since there is no shortcode related to that.

Besides, is there a way for the instructor to upload his/her own profile picture when updating his/her profile?

Thanks!
    Alvin

• Tyler Postle
      • CGO

Hey again Alvin,

Just wanted to give you a little update here. Funny enough, when I spoke to the dev, implementing taxonomies and categories was already on the road map and planned for the next major update! :slight_smile: there may be some small fix updates between then and now.

Just wanted to let you know that it is definitely happening!

Have a great rest of your day.

All the best,
      Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Alvin,

Thanks for getting back to me :slight_smile:

Where in the theme are you seeing that? Sorry, been testing out the theme looking for that code there and I'm not seeing it.

Also, the updates/fixes are coming in fast and furious, the dev just pushed out another update with some CoursePress theme CSS fixes :slight_smile: make sure you update before checking again.

Feature wise, I would love to see course categories where we can tag a course as a type and then list courses by types (using shortcode). Wouldn't that be useful?

I think that's a great idea! I will add it to the feature requests. In the meantime you can still create a page to use as a category page and just list them, not as automated of course; however, is still a do-able workaround.

I am also not sure what the label is for since there is no shortcode related to that.

The page label shows up on your units. So it should be included with the unit shortcode :slight_smile: I have included a screenshot to illustrate where the page label is.

Besides, is there a way for the instructor to upload his/her own profile picture when updating his/her profile?

That would be a nice feature to have in the profile area as well. Currently you can update it using gravatar or it will also inherit your BuddyPress profile picture. You can also use our Avatars plugin :slight_smile: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/avatars/

Hope that helps Alvin! Thanks a lot for the feature requests too.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Alvin,

Another option for sorting courses right now that I just thought of is to use the course list shortcode and sort it by instructor ID.

So, create an instructor for each category of course then use the shortcode to list them that way :slight_smile:

Just an idea!

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Buooy,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

The user role shouldn't matter, you just need to make sure they are assigned to a course then you can manage the instructor capabilities via:

CoursePress > Settings > Instructor Capabilities. Those will apply to all instructors no matter which user role they are :slight_smile:

I have attached a screenshot to illustrate.

Let us know if you still need any assistance with that.

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. Glad you think it's awesome! We do too :slight_smile: stay tuned for some more awesome releases.

• Succeed Online

Hi guys

Thanks for an amazing plugin. I would like to add an feature request.

Is there any way to ensure security of educational videos on the courseware plugin? I just want to ensure that it is impossible to download the videos. Where users are intuitive they might record the screen and sound. However, I don't see many users doing this. Thus, if downloads are impossible (or extremely complex or difficult) then I would be more comfortable in using the plugin.

Note that this technology could help you guys a lot with any other video plugins.

One option to follow is to encrypt videos on the server side with some sort of custom encryption. Then, once videos starts downloading and playing, a javascript video player unencrypts the same videos on demand. This player should be smart enough to unencrypt buffering videos. If this is not possible then it might be an option to break each video up into many sections, encrypt each section and allow the client browser to download section by section and then unencrypt each section. I know this seems like a lot of work - I'm really hoping it is possible.

Johann

• Succeed Online

Hi guys

Thanks for an amazing plugin. I would like to add an feature request.

Is there any way to ensure security of educational videos on the courseware plugin? I just want to ensure that it is impossible to download the videos. Where users are intuitive they might record the screen and sound. However, I don't see many users doing this. Thus, if downloads are impossible (or extremely complex or difficult) then I would be more comfortable in using the plugin.

Note that this technology could help you guys a lot with any other video plugins.

One option to follow is to encrypt videos on the server side with some sort of custom encryption. Then, once videos starts downloading and playing, a javascript video player unencrypts the same videos on demand. This player should be smart enough to unencrypt buffering videos. If this is not possible then it might be an option to break each video up into many sections, encrypt each section and allow the client browser to download section by section and then unencrypt each section. I know this seems like a lot of work - I'm really hoping it is possible.

Johann

• Jamie
    • New Recruit

Great plugin! I'm configuring now - but don't see an option for the automatic issue of the certificates that I see in the documentation, videos, etc. We're using this with a demographic that is obsessive about certificates and the auto-issue of this at the successful conclusion of the class was a big selling point for me :slight_smile: Thanks!

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Jamie!

You'll actually need to add your own certificate, but it's easy to upload a PDF template that you can use.

I know the team considered adding a certificates to V1.0, but we assumed that's something members would probably want to be highly customized; however, with all of the requests coming in for this feature we have officially begun developing it :slight_smile: certification system is on the way.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Certification automation is being developed

• BePresence
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Michelle, I agree that this is something that has to be highly customizable but it also needs to be personalized,, so how can we map the name and add it to the certificate? I mean most people want a certificate with their name on it.

Wouldn't it be easier to customize the certificate the same way we customize a newsletter? that way we can use fields to personalize it

Thanks

• Danny Albeck

Hello,

Have a couple questions on CoursePress Pro:

1. Is it possible to purchase a course, but not actually take a course on the website? I need to use this in a scenario where the courses are being held physically at a location and the instructor can say if the student passed or not.

-- Everything about this add-on seems to have exactly what I would need, just need to figure out if it is possible to sell the course have a student list, instructor can manage it etc.

2. Can the students per course be exported to a CSV?

3. Would it be possible to setup some form of an automated notification email a week before the course? This would be used as a reminder.

4. Can we add custom fields to the student registration form? Maybe integration with Advanced Custom Fields, or some form of a field builder within the plugin? (Need the ability for students to upload a profile picture or have the instructor add one once they arrive at the course)

Thank you!

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Danny!

1. I think that's entirely possible. You could create all the details for the course, but not create any units, and that would absolutely work. The instructor (if they're a member with Instructor privileges on the site where CoursePress is installed) could manage the student workbooks manually from the dashboard.

2. Automagically? Not directly from CoursePress, but there are several plugins available that will let you grab a CSV of a member list. We'd just need one that can do it by user role, like this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/export-users-to-csv/

3. I think that's a great idea, and other than the enrollment confirmation email, I'm not seeing a way to add one at this stage.

4. I think BuddyPress, with just a few features activated, so you won't be dealing with the Full BuddyPress Experience (which is what I'm naming my next band) but you'll still have the ability to do extended student/member profiles and use custom avatars.

Hope this helps!

• Alvin

"Yoast Google Analytics: Settings" goes blank when I activated coursepress. When I deactivate coursepress, "Yoast Google Analytics: Settings" becomes visible again.

Tried on 3 sites.... same results. I guess coursepress conflict with Yoast Google Analytics plugin. Just don't understand why coursepress can cause something on a wordpress backend to blank-out....

Can you try that too? Thanks!

• Alvin

@AlvinHi @Michelle Shull,

Yes, tested on 3 wp installs. And Yes, I had deactivated all other plugins and only left with CoursePress and Yoast GA.

I am testing with the theme that comes with coursepress. I've also tested with default twenty-fourteen theme. Same result. But I doubt it has anything to do with theme since we are talking are at the dashboard backend.

Thanks.

regards,
    Alvin

• HansRuedi Keller

Hello wpmudev team

This topic started with "creating-managing-and-selling-online-courses-in-wordpress-has-never-been-easier" and now contains – after Timothy's initial announcement – questions and answers about almost anything around CP. That way it's really hard to follow the discussion around CP.

Please start new topics for new issues, ideas or feature requests. Thanks!
    HansRuedi

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Alvin & All,

I hope you are doing well.

To help keep support tickets separate, could you please open a new thread for your new question using this form https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question

This helps to prevent any confusion (for us) as I'm sure you understand.

This might also help other members looking for a similar answer as this thread is becoming for members hard to read. :slight_smile:

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great day!

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Danny Albeck

@Michelle Shull thank you for getting back to me on those questions. I do have one other... would it be possible for a company to create 1 registration (only charged 1 time for the course) but be able to enroll lets say 5-10 of his employees?

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.