Cpanel screwing up WordPress Updates

Hey everyone --

I'm having problems with updating WordPress on a bunch of my sites. Here's the problem:
* Installed WordPress using Cpanel
* Installed plugins and built the site (including Hummingbird, Defender, Smush, Snapshot, etc)
* Wordpress Updates are not shown as available on the Update page
* Clicking reinstall WordPress just goes to a white page still in the back end - not white screen of death)
* Can't update WordPress through Cpanel
***Get this error:
This Addon has been modified (or the upgrade test failed) and is no longer updatable via this function.

If you really want to force the upgrade please type the following in to the form below:

I fully understand what I am doing and take full responsibility for my actions. I have backed up all my data so I can remove the installation, reinstall fresh and import my old info into the new install if necessary. I understand that anything that breaks by forcing this upgrade is 100% my responsibility.

I'd really like to just be able to update each of my sites in the WP backend and not mess with Cpanel. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Sajid

Hello Chris Anderson,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Well, that is strange. Even if you install WordPress via cPanel, you should still be able to avail updates for WordPress core and other plugins/themes.

If you can not then this WordPress instance is modified. Some host does this for compatibility reasons or some any other reason.

In this case, there are two options.

One find that code, editions modifications and replace with original WordPress files by using Defender plugin. Go to Dashboard -> Defender -> Scan. Wait for it to complete, once complete, it will display the report along with modified files and their type. Replace all core files with click of a button.

Second, keep wp-config.php file and wp-content folder some where safe and delete all other files. Now, download WordPress from official site and upload all these missing files here again.

Both case, make sure you take full backup of your website first.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.