Create a Multisite with sites to sell: should it be subdomain based or subfolders based?

Hi. I am willing to create a multisite to host different sites that I'd sell to different clients. I'd Use the Domain Mapping plugin to "mask" the multisite URL's with the client's domain URL. I have read that there is some difference in terms of SEO between a subpath based MS and a subdomain based one; as the subpath's option brings benefit to every site on the network... I'd like to know which option is most recommended to a business like this; having into account that clients would have nothing to do between them; and might even be competitors.

Which option would you choose in this case?

Thanks,
Pablo

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Pablo,

as the subpath's option brings benefit to every site on the network...

That is true - strong subsite will bring benefit to the main domain (main subsite) so whole network will benefit that.
    But this is only true when subsites are indexed by google by their orginal urls - mainsite.com/subsite - it will not work when you use mapped domains because then google will index them with those mapped urls.

That really depends if you should use subdomains or subdirectories. Sumdomains in my opinion look better (more proffesional?) but you need to setup wildcards on your server to get them to work, when subdirectories are super easy to setup.

From what I see on our members sites that subdomains are used more often than subdirectories.

If you for example plan to use in future Multi Domains plugin then you should choose subdomains as this plugin will not work with subdirectories.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Pablo Culebras

Hi Kasia! thank you very much... yep, setting up wildcards might complicate the process a little bit, but I think I'll go for that solution, since I might want to use plugins as the Multi Domains plugin. Nevertheless, I currently have a shared hosting plan -of course I'd upgrade to a VPS or dedicated in case I had clients enough for that- but I am wondering if the subdomains / subpaths options makes any difference in space use in the host. That is, if subdomains need more space available or something like that.

Thank you!
    Pablo

• Nithin

Hi Pablo,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I currently have a shared hosting plan -of course I'd upgrade to a VPS or dedicated in case I had clients enough for that- but I am wondering if the subdomains / subpaths options makes any difference in space use in the host. That is, if subdomains need more space available or something like that.

When it comes to having more than one websites it does makes a difference in space use, but it depends totally on your hosting provider. Other than that, there isn't any difference in space when compared to subdomains or subfolders.

If you looking to limit space, in WordPress Multisite there is an option to limit Site Upload Space Quota under '/wp-admin/network/settings.php' where you can limit the total size of files to be uploaded. For anything else, I would recommend you to talk to your host.

Please let us know if you need any further help. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.