Create a site is not showing up on my BP 'Sites' page. How do I activate that feature?

My site is a multisite with BuddyPress. I have: "Both sites and user accounts can be registered" but under the user profile it doesn't show 'create site' or whatever it is supposed to say so the member can create their blog. I also can't find the page (I had seen it at one time) where they can create their site from.

I have Membership set up with a permission restriction to one blog-site.

BP is not network activated so I'm thinking this 'might' be the problem but now my concern is that if I deactivate it on single site and then reactivate it on network, will I lose all of my existing BP members and their data? (all 10 of them at this point). Or can I just activate it network wide without any problem. (I originally activated on single site because I was considering setting it up so each site could have it's own BP community.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

In this case and on all Multisite installs, BuddyPress should always be network activated, it won't work correctly on a site by site basis :slight_smile:

You'll be safe to network activate it and you won't loose any data, though I would recommend creating a backup :slight_smile:

Once you have that done, in the network admin > settings > buddypress, make sure you have the site tracking module activated, what is your register page called?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• SD2k
    • The Crimson Coder

Since this is set up with the Membership plugin, registration is handled by the popup modules.

I will network activate it and just leave the single site activation alone. I have Vaultpress which has saved my sorry 4$$ several times now.

Thanks...

• SD2k
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello @Jack Kitterhing,

At the risk of coming across grumpy again I have had support access open for some time now and I keep extending it as I have had a couple of Staff indicate they wanted to look at my setup but I have yet to see anyone login.

Thanks for your help. Right now access ends on the 4th so I will go in and extend it right now...

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @sdinvestor2k,

Hope you're well today, sorry that didn't show you had that active as this is in the BuddyPress area and not the plugins area (which is correct) :slight_smile:

I've just tried to login, but I get "Sorry, this is an invalid access token. You must ask the user to grant access.".

Which normally means you'd need to revoke and re-grant access.

But at risk that it doesn't work next time, can you instead send me the logins to contact(at)wpmudev.org with the subject line Attn: Jack Kitterhing

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• SD2k
    • The Crimson Coder

Hey @Jack Kitterhing,

Thanks for your help, I revoked access and re-initiated it. Lets see if that works.

I have my admin section setup in such a way that you can't access our site from anything wp-admin or login.php so I'm not sure if that effects it or not.

Right now, even with super admin access you have to login from the front end and then go to wp-admin/ with a trailing backslash. Without the trailing backslash it still sends you to a 404 even with super admin access.

Thanks again and I'll try to join in on your next chat session too.

Have a great night,

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @sdinvestor2k, I just logged-in on your site with the access you granted us.
    I noticed that you have not assigned any pages for BuddyPress's register and activate functions to properly (see message in attached screenshot).
    Can you please fix that and test this again?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• SD2k
    • The Crimson Coder

@aristath

Thank you for taking a look. I'm confused though... What does that have to do with "Create A Blog" not showing up?

I'm using the Membership Modal for people to sign-up.

This thread is addressing concerns about creating a blog not logging in.

Are you telling me that in order for "create a blog" to show up I have to have the buddypress registration page activated?

My concern stems from the fact that "Membership" states in its docs that it is best to leave this undone. Please help me understand this better.

Thanks...

cc. @Jack Kitterhing

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey guys,

over the live chat we did a lot of troubleshooting including testing with the default WordPress 2014 theme and the button started appearing.

However with the current theme on @sdinvestor2k site, its not appearing. Seems like a core file was modified to remove that button and he is looking into that.

@Jack Kitterhing can you dig in once and see if I might have missed anything ?

We have tested with everything disabled and just the BuddyPress plugin enabled.

Cheers, PC

• SD2k
    • The Crimson Coder

Hey @PC,

Thanks again for all your help today, it made a huge difference. The standard links are not showing up but I was able to fugure out the url for the create site and create group (that one was missing too) and so for all intents and purposes I'm going to call this one closed :slight_smile:

I have another issue I think is related to Membership so I'll start another thread and we'll go from there!...

Again thanks for everything...

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey there @sdinvestor2k,

I couldn't resist myself from posting on this resolved thread :slight_smile:

Glad to help !

BTW, where did you finally find the code you changed which made those links missing ?

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.