Create Memberhsip site with default registration Disabled

G'day!

I was wondering if it's possible to create a membership (main)site on a Multisite Network (with buddypress and membership plugin), with the default registration settings set on disabled. So I can use the option: Logged in users may register new sites. (if that makes sense).

I would like to offer 3 memberships with the main site:
Free membership that comes with 1 site creation and 3 groups
1 Paid membership that comes with 1 site creation and 10 groups
1 Paid membership that comes with 100 site creation and 100 groups

But I want this as a standard registration procedure:
Simple register page choosing the membership with the standard fields buddypress registration and NO blog registration option. But when logged in and visiting the Sites page (the standard buddypress site page) having the standard register a site button to register for a blog (subsite).

FYI
I already know the standard installation for MU, BuddPress and WPMU Membership and its usage, just wondering if the top scenario I described was possible.

The reason why I want to do this, is hopefully I will be able to avoid a lot of splogs!
(And yes, I know you got a plugin for that as well :wink:) But also to make the registration faster and easier for people. Any other suggestion are more then welcome.

Cheers,
Ronald

• Dutchman

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to do that then: a manual registration button. Just wondering, I have a buddyboss theme running on my site and it uses the standard wordpress options (register and login) SO now with the standard registration off and using the WPMU membership to register, how can I add a manual register button into the admin bar next to the login?

any suggestions? (see edulink.co.nz)
    cheers!

• Ash

Hello @dutchmen

I hope you are well today.

If you go to Membership > Options > Membership Pages there you need to select all pages, I hope you did so.

There is an option for Register page, for example that page url is http://domain.com/register

Then go to Appearances > Menus > Links from left side > Text Register and URL http://domain.com/register

About the admin bar, please use the following code:

add_action( 'admin_bar_menu', 'toolbar_link_to_register', 999 );

function toolbar_link_to_register( $wp_admin_bar ) {
    	$args = array(
    		'id'    => 'register_page',
    		'title' => 'register',
    		'href'  => 'http://domain.com/register',
    		'meta'  => array( 'class' => 'my-register-page' )
    	);
    	$wp_admin_bar->add_node( $args );
    }

You can add those codes in your functions.php in the theme, if you think your theme won’t be changed. Otherwise mu-plugins is the best solution. To use mu-plugins, go to /wp-content/ and find the folder with name 'mu-plugins'. If there is no folder in that name, then create a folder, name it 'mu-plugins', create a file inside that, give any name you like and paste the code in there. You don't need to activate that plugin. Mu-plugins means must use plugins, so it will be activated automatically always. If you use mu-plugins then add a php start tag at the beginning of the code.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.