Create multiple sites using the same content

Here's the scenario:

- A company has a website
- The company's clients would like to have their own version of the website with identical content but branded as they wish
- Each client's website would have its own domain

Is it possible to run multisite in this way? E.g. by creating a site as the primary blog and then allowing all sub-blogs to use the same content?

Grateful for your thoughts.

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi g01010

Welcome to the WPMU DEV Community!

Yes, as Riyaku said, this is possible. With Multisites and the Domain Mapping Plugin and/ or the Multi-Domains Plugin you can easily set up a network of domains, whether sub-domains or sub-directories.

In your case, with the clients' domains you would look at setting it up as parked domains to the company's domain. You can then add those domains to your network in the Super WP Admin Panel with the basic theme and content and they get their own login access to change the branding to their own.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. Creating a Multisite can be challenging if you don't follow the instructions and especially if your hosting doesn't allow wildcards. So any advice that you need on this subject or any of our other plugins/ themes, please don't hesitate to be in touch.

I will resolve this thread, but please don't hesitate to reopen it if you still require additional feedback from our Support Team. Just select the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (otherwise we might miss your new post).

And if you require any further assistance with any other topic/ plugin, please don't hesitate to be in touch.

Have a good day!

Gina :: Multiplicity
    Trying out as WPMU DEV Support Staff - Let me know how I go

@ Riyaku
    Thank you for your excellent Community support. As always, you are in here and ready to help. We appreciate it :slight_smile:

• Han

Domain mapping or multi-domain plug-in? Which would work best for this?

Use multi-domain only if you want to use multiple "main domain".

If I've got mysite.com with the root content then mysite.com/client-theme-a with the client's branded version, don't I just need to map client-domain-a.com to mysite.com/client-theme-a?

new blog template will copy the content and setting you want to copy to a new client site, then the client can change it if they want to

:slight_smile:

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi g01010

The Multi-Domain Plugin would possibly work best in your case.

If I've got mysite.com with the root content then mysite.com/client-theme-a with the client's branded version, don't I just need to map client-domain-a.com to mysite.com/client-theme-a?

The problem with mapping client-domain-a.com to mysite.com/client-theme-a is that the URL will show as your URL and not theirs. If that's not a problem, then you can go ahead with the Domain Mapping Plugin. If however, you would like their own domain to display in the URL you need to use the Multi-Domain Plugin. The golden rule here is to make sure that client domains are all pointing to the same root file as the company (primary) domain. When setting up a Multisite all sites will use one installation of WordPress. If you create a sub-domain as in mysite.com/client-theme-a it won't use the primary WordPress installation.

If you go into your hosting control panel you should be able to either park domains or add-on. When parking the domain it will point to the root file, but as an add-on it will form a new sub-folder within the root folder for that domain, and in this case the Multisite set-up won't work.

I hope this helps.

Gina :: Multiplicity
    Trying out as WPMU DEV Support Staff - Let me know how I go

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.