create site backup for import into DesktopServer

use DesktopServer and I really like it for developing my WP sites locally before uploading them to my live host.

The only thing I am struggling with at the moment is taking a copy of the live site to do further development on it. I am trying to find the most convenient way of backing up my live site and database content for importing into DesktopServer to create my .dev site.

The backup solutions I use are UpdraftPlus and for multi site stuff the Cloner and Snapshot from WPMU DEV.

None of them seem to create the simple .zip file I need of my live site so I can just import it into DesktopServer to create the .dev site.

Is anyone using something to do this? Please feel free to share your tips and experiences :slight_smile:

• Tyler Postle

Hey Glenn,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

I haven't used UpdraftPlus before so I can't comment on that, it looks like an awesome plugin though :slight_smile:

As for Cloner and Snapshot, snapshot would be the best for this situation.

Cloner is to be used only within a multisite.

Snapshot will allow you to backup the database and everything, then restore it onto your dev installation.

Here are the steps for doing this:

1. Install Snapshot on both installations.

2. Create a snapshot of the site you want to move

3. Make sure you have a basic WordPress installation to restore it too

4. Upload it to the snapshot folder in the new location

5. Go into snapshot and restore it :slight_smile:

Then you should be good to go! Let me know if you have any further questions/concerns on this.

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. This of course isn't the only way to do this - perhaps others can speak from experience on the topic too :slight_smile:

• Glenn

Thanks Tyler, it worked! I really thought I would need to import a .zip backup of the site to get a .dev copy of the site but it works if I create a 'basic' WP site (new) in DesktopServer, then install my WPMU DEV Dashboard, and Snapshot and then restore a Snapshot backup from the live site.

The only thing I had a problem with (on my first attempt) was I tried to restore my .htaccess file, as I have some special settings in there and wanted to keep them. It seemed to muck things up so I tried again without my .htaccess file and then just updated it manually.

Thanks again for your help :slight_smile: I think I will use this method now to do further development on my live sites in DesktopServer.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.