create sites without admin access

I am trying to create a subscription site. I want to be able allow creating a site based on subscription. However, while giving them access to create a site I need to restrict their user role to only allow access to certain aspects of the admin. I have been playing around with pro sites and the blog template but I am missing something. I would like to create a custom role and use that role to allow site creation but not full admin access. How would I accomplish that?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Derek,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

While our Pro Sites and New Blog Templates are very useful tools, none of them would let you do this as it's quite a non-standard requirement and by design WordPress doesn't support it. I mean: WP does support manipulating user roles and capabilities by an owner of the sub-site should by definition be its admin and be able to access all parts of his/her dashboard.

I'm thinking of a workaround though that would use our Membership 2 Pro plugin. Take a look here please:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

The plugin should be installed on your Multisite and network-enabled. You will also want to add this line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

define( 'MS_PROTECT_NETWORK', true );

After this is done, go to the "Membership 2 -> Add-ons" page and enable the "Admin Side Protection" add-on. Then create a standard membership but make sure it's not set as "public" (so nobody would be able to signup for it) and on a "Protection Rules -> Admin Side" page assign this membership to the parts of the dashboard that you'd like to protect. I think you could give it a try. Let me know if it works for you please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.