create website builder for small business with multisites?

Hi,

I am thinking about using multisites, theme switch, domain mapping, etc to build a Wordpress site builder to have others (DIY) to set up their own websites. Have anyone done this before? can you share any your thought/insight? What plugins are must-have for this type of work?
By the way, can you recommend a good hosting company?

Thanks

Jason

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jason,

Hope you're doing well today!

Sounds like a very exciting project you're about to start :slight_smile:

A lot of our plugins would be great for a website builder sort of setup.

A few that I would consider "must have" for myself would be:

Pro Sites(for paid upgrade style network):

Pro Sites allows you to control what your site owners have access too. Maybe you have some awesome premium themes(we're releasing an amazing theme framework soon!) that are just too good to include free, you can set these up at their own pro level, so when the user upgrades they will have access to the premium theme :slight_smile:

You can also set restrictions on storage, plugins, posts/pages, etc.

New Blog Templates:

New Blog Templates allows you to create templates that your users can choose when signing up. This makes the setup process MUCH easier for the user because then they can just choose a template that best suits their needs and you can make it so the template has placeholder text where needed, then the user simply has to fill in their own information.

Ultimate Branding:

This one has a ton of features, but essentially, it allows you to completely brand the backend so it's not to generic and WordPress like :slight_smile: make it your own!

Domain Mapping:

You already mentioned this above, but it is a very important one in many cases, since it allows your users to have their own domains :slight_smile:

Depending on what other features you want to mention there is likely many other plugins you will want to use here.

By the way, can you recommend a good hosting company?

This post will likely provide a lot more information than I can: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/web-hosting-review-so-just-who-is-the-best/

Make sure you read the comments too, a ton of user feedback down there :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any further questions on this Jason! More than happy to help.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jason,

Hope your weekend is going well!

the email will have to be setup separately but it is definitely still possible to setup. If you map it with the A record then you will still be able to point the MX records where you like, those are the records used for email.

So, you could either use the domain hosts email services or point it to something like Google apps, rackspace, etc.

If you are parking the domain in your cPanel then you can create email addresses for free in there :slight_smile:

Hope this helps! Let me know if you still have further questions.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.