Created a subdomain via Multisite but the URL doesn't work

I'm in the process of converting my website into a Multisite to offer my subscribers their own Wordpress sites. My hosting provider assured me that Wildcard DNS has been activated, so it shouldn't be a problem.
I created a site to test. It sent the e-mail with username, password, etc. But when clicking on the link, it gives an error message saying Google can't find it.
The site shows up in my list of sites and on my Network Admin but trying to use the Dashboard or edit gives the same error message.
Where did I go wrong?

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Elmarie,

What error message are you getting? Depending on what it's saying there could be a few different things happening here.

Also, could you let me know the domain you're working with? I could test to make sure the wildcard is working as expected.

Finally, is it possible that the subdomain already exists and might be pointing to an empty folder? You want to make sure that any requests to the subdomain point to your WordPress installation and not any other folders. If a subdomain was previously created, you might have an empty folder for it, in which case the web server might give an error.

Best regards,

• Elmarie
    • Flash Drive

Hi @Alexander,

Thanks for replying to me.

The error message I'm getting says:

Oops! Google Chrome could not find sitetest.etpenterprises.com. Did you mean etpenterprises.com

The domain I'm working with is etpenterprises.com. I definitely haven't created this subdomain before.

Kind regards,
    Elmarié

• Alexander
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Elmarie,

Ok, I've just tested the domain, and you don't have a proper wildcard subdomain setup. If your host assured you of this, you may want to check back with them about it.

If you ping etpenterprises.com it will resolve to your server's IP address.

You should be able to ping any random subdomain, and have it resolve to the same IP address.

It's not resolving now, so this means there is no wildcard DNS record added to this domain.

Best regards,

• Elmarie
    • Flash Drive

@Alexander I ended up setting my own Wildcard DNS within my cPanel. (Learning a lot!) It did not solve the problem immediately but a couple of hours later the subdomain opened to the Wordpress dashboard and one can even visit the site.

Thank you for all your help. It's good to know there are people like you giving of your time to help me when I need it.

Kind regards.
    Elmarié

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.