creating a Child Theme for WP Twenty Seventeen.

I am using the following article "https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-create-wordpress-child-theme" to attempt to create a child theme. I'm a beginner, so i am looking at these instructions from the POV of someone who doesn't know the basics about a child theme.
So far, I am lost at the 1st real step: 1. First, go to your theme directory and create a folder for your new theme.
I am in my WP dashboard, in Themes. Is this the Theme Directory? Here, I do not have an option to create a folder. The only options are to make a theme active, to search themes, or to add a new theme. What do your directions mean, exactly? Do I create a folder on my computer?
Looking ahead to step 2, I want to confirm that it means to create a new CSS file on my computer? And since I am using twenty seventeen, I use your code but replace fourteen with seventeen? And what about the uri - I haven't finalized my domain yet. what needs to go there? And How do I know the the version number will be? And then where do I keep the CSS file?

Thank you,
Amanda

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Amanda,

I am in my WP dashboard, in Themes. Is this the Theme Directory? Here, I do not have an option to create a folder. The only options are to make a theme active, to search themes, or to add a new theme. What do your directions mean, exactly? Do I create a folder on my computer?

It means that you have to create that directory in wp-content/themes/ - those are directories on your server. To access them you need:
    a) FTP access to your server and FTP client
    b) or cPanel file manager - or any other file manager that your hosting provider is using.

if you are uncertain on how to get access to any of those please contact you hosting provider, they will provide that info for you.
    Here are links for more detailed explanation on how to create Child theme in WordPress https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

And there is another solution to create child themes without leaving WordPress dashboard. You can use plugin like this https://wordpress.org/plugins/child-theme-configurator/
    I will create child theme in easier way than doing this manually.

Looking ahead to step 2, I want to confirm that it means to create a new CSS file on my computer?

Yes, and then uploading it to new directory you created. However if you will use that plugin I linked above you can skip that step.

And since I am using twenty seventeen, I use your code but replace fourteen with seventeen?

Yes.

And what about the uri - I haven't finalized my domain yet. what needs to go there?

Anything. That can be fake address or address you will have in future or you can leave it empty.

And How do I know the the version number will be?

This is yours child theme so you decide what version number it has. You can set it as you wish. I usually put there 1.0

And then where do I keep the CSS file?

It has to be in directory of the child theme, so you need to upload it to directory you created for that theme.

Let me know if you have more questions

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.