Creating a member area outside of the WordPress admin

I’m sure this is possible through some combination of restricted access to specific pages, but I want to create a member area completely separate from the WordPress admin area.

Why? Even at the subscriber level, people can see post and comment information, update notifications and all kinds of other things I’d rather not have them see, even if they aren’t planning to do anything with it.

Using the membership plugin what’s the best way to create admin pages where people can update their account info, see subscription information, etc. completely outside of wp-admin? Ideally I’d like this to be a page within the normal template system so that it looks like the rest of the site.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Even at the subscriber level, people can see post and comment information, update notifications and all kinds of other things I’d rather not have them see, even if they aren’t planning to do anything with it.

You have seen the administration rules? So you can remove those pages in the admin area per membership level.

Using the membership plugin what’s the best way to create admin pages where people can update their account info, see subscription information, etc. completely outside of wp-admin?

I know i sound like a broken record :slight_smile: but we’re adding some shortcodes to enable this type of thing in version 1.1

• ymousley
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

You have seen the administration rules? So you can remove those pages in the admin area per membership level.

I did, and admittedly I’m still getting the hang of it, but in my ideal scenario users wouldn’t go through the WP dashboard at all. Not trying to be snarky, but even when I click on my profile link in the main area of this site, I can see the upgrade notification, can click on the dashboard and see the number of comments, etc. Now aside from reminding you to upgrade :wink: there’s nothing I can do with that info, but on the site I’m building I’d rather not have it there in the first place. Even for my single install site where I had a failed attempt to upgrade the core automatically, I can.not. get rid of the annoying “attempt update again” message even though I’m on the latest version.

That’s something that’s more of a WordPress flaw than anything with the plugin, but it’s part of the reason it would be nice to be able to create a member area that has nothing to do with the WP login area (plus the fact that it would be infinitely easier to customize a page within the site theme than try to hack the admin CSS to get the same result)

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya, just to follow up:

Using the membership plugin what’s the best way to create admin pages where people can update their account info, see subscription information, etc. completely outside of wp-admin?

BuddyPress provides for front-end profile editing – though that’s a large plugin for just front-end profiles. Also, as Barry said, a lot of the membership activities such as upgrading and managing a membership subscription will be possible very soon within membership through the use of shortcodes.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.