Creating a Member rich Network

I am trying to create a network for a niche education subject.

What I would like is to have members sign up and participate, via Buddypress, in discussions, etc.

I am having trouble with spam, so I closed membership and also have deactivated the ability for new members to create a blog upon signing up.

I would like, however, to allow two basic levels of membership for free. The first would be basic where members would sign up and be able to participate in the social network (Buddypress). The second would allow participation in the social network area but also allow for them to create their own blog (for teachers who want to update their classes, etc.).

After this, I would like to incorporate more bells and whistles for those that want to create websites - premium plugins and themes - which I could make use of the Pro Sites plugin.

I am not exactly sure how to navigate this and get my project refined to this point though. Any guidance or suggestions on how to set up a project like this would be great.

Thanks in advance!

• aecnu

Greetings jonnylons,

You will need to install WordPress MultiSite, then I would add Membership, then Pro Sites, and then Anti Splog using the "Cats" captcha.

That should slow the spam down.

Having the ability to add blogs and/or comments will certainly invoke a certain level of spam no matter what you do - unless it is only you creating blogs and comments are off/closed.

A small token amount for Membership would also have a dramatic effect on spam sites.

Now it is time to apply yourself and get this thing online!

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• jonnylons

Thanks Joe (@aecnu)!

There are a lot of plugins that WPMU develops that seem to overlap or don't quite seem clear on how they can extend one another.

I have been glaring at Pro Sites and Membership plugins trying to gauge what exactly they do. So, here is my basic summary:

Membership limits the behavior of members within a network
    Pro Sites limits the behavior of sites within a network

What I want to do is have a base membership level, where members can access the social network (Buddypress) and interact with each other while NOT being able to create groups.

Then I want to have another level of membership where members can create groups within the social network (Buddypress) AND also be able to create a basic site within the network.

Finally, I want to have a level of membership where members can do all of that an in addition be able to apply premium plugins and themes to their sites, and also be able to create an unlimited number of sites. This level may be split into two levels and be charged for those levels of access.

I currently have a multisite install (several years old, actually) that has been constantly updated and used. I am trying to take it to the next level as I have been working on it for years and trying to understand the basic operations of how this system works.

If I am following your suggestion, then I need to use both Membership and Pro Sites plugins to limit the behaviors of my members to those three/four levels of membership?

Thanks in advance!

John

• aecnu

Greetings John,

Thank you for your additional feedback and input, it is greatly appreciated.

After some considerable thought concerning:

If I am following your suggestion, then I need to use both Membership and Pro Sites plugins to limit the behaviors of my members to those three/four levels of membership?

What I see missing here is a way to control certain features that are not controlled by the above two plugins i.e. Buddy Press groups etc. You would want to use something to control user roles like Advanced Access Manager plugin or User Role Editor plugin

Now I am indeed not sure if one of them will block members from Buddy press Groups but think if it will it is a cleaner approach then blocking through the Membership plugin.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings John,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.