Creating a Multisite Wordpress Blog for Country based Content

Hi All

I am brand new to wpmudev.... I am looking to develop a series of sites using multisite wordpress installation.

My requirements are briefed below as points. It would be great if anyone could help me out on the same. I have basic understanding of how wordpress works, and am capable of installing plugins and understand how they work. However, when it comes to coding I am a novice wherein you have to provide me the code and instruct where to paste the same... :slight_frown:

I have setup wordpress multisite using a hosting plan and a domain name that I recently purchased.

1. First off, I need to convert my main site (www.domain.com) into a static single page, wherein I am able to display the list of Countries to choose from. When a User chooses a particular Country, he should be redirected to the corresponding site that I have created for that particular Country and view the blog posts.
2. Secondly, I need to be able to track the location if possible of each User visiting my site. Is this possible using a plugin?

Thanks in advance!

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Guru,

I hope you're well today and welcome to the community!

This would be entirely possible with Multisite I think. The base would be of course the standard Multisite Setup and you will find a detailed guide on how to set it up and maintain here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/ultimate-guide-multisite/

The second step would be to create your "country sites".

1. First off, I need to convert my main site (www.domain.com) into a static single page, wherein I am able to display the list of Countries to choose from. When a User chooses a particular Country, he should be redirected to the corresponding site that I have created for that particular Country and view the blog posts.

You do not need to create any posts and pages on your main site, just a single page that would be used as a homepage. That would give you a "single page" site and then you would want to use some nice theme for this.

There's also a lot of nice themes available from WP theme repository here:

https://wordpress.org/themes/

Then you could setup our "Blogs Directory" plugin to automatically create a list of your sites. Take a look here please:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/blogs-directory/

The plugin creates a page on your main site that contains a list of all sub-sites. By default it is available under the "yourdomain.com/blogs" URL but you could simply set that page to be your homepage in main site's "Settings -> Reading" options. This way, the homepage of your main site would be the list of your country sites and a visitor would be able to click on site's name and would be taken to that site.

2. Secondly, I need to be able to track the location if possible of each User visiting my site. Is this possible using a plugin?

I would like to know a bit more on what exactly do you expect that to work. You can track user/visitor location e.g. with Google Analytics and this would give you a detailed overview of who the users of your site are and where do they come from.

Our own "Google Maps" plugin also let's you use geolocation (though that requires user to accept browser request to be tracked. That doesn't produce statistics as well but only lets you automatically mark visitors on the map. Let me know a bit more on what do you wish to achieve here and I'm sure we'll find a solution :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.