creating a new installation for upadating a site with a new theme

I have a current site (host gator hosted) that I am looking to completely update with a new theme, etc. But I don't want to take down the old site until the new one is ready.
I am sure that there is a good procedure for this...
Is there a "best practice" method for this type of development?

Can you point me in the right direction?

My thought is to create a new directory (i.e. url.new.com) and do a completely new WP install then move things over, but doing it page by page can be a lot of unnecessary work.

Once I get the site up to where I want it to be, is it better to do a URL re-direct or move the new site to the old URL? I am sure there are pros/cons to both options.

Expert help / recommendations are WELCOME!

Thanks

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Stephen,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question! :slight_smile:

The best way would be to create a sub domain which is a exact replica of the sub site and from there create the new site and theme. Then you can transfer over all your changes including the theme etc to the new one.

Is this a custom theme you are developing or a purchased themes? As that will depend on things like keeping the theme options etc.

Please advise. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Stephen

Thanks Jack,

So it sounds like I was onto the right process. Here is what I see as the steps and questions....
    I will call my site " mysite.com" for illustration purposes.

1. Create a subdomain..... http://www.mysite.NEW.com
    2. Transfer a complete copy of mysite.com to mysite.new.com (best way to do this? Can you help?)
    3. Clean up the mysite.new.com and get it the way I want it to look.
    4. Copy the contents of mysite.new.com back to mysite.com

Now I have another question.....part oft the reason that I need to update things is because there was a level of corruption from a viral attack on the site originally. It has been cleaned, but there are some residual problems with the theme. Do you have any suggestions to help with that? I am planning on installing a new theme to clean things up.

Would it be better to do a fresh install on the mysite.new.com and then only copy over the page, post and media files? Then recreate the site?

Thanks for the help....

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Stephen,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your patience here, I apologize about the delay.

1. Create a subdomain..... http://www.mysite.NEW.com
    2. Transfer a complete copy of mysite.com to mysite.new.com (best way to do this? Can you help?)
    3. Clean up the mysite.new.com and get it the way I want it to look.
    4. Copy the contents of mysite.new.com back to mysite.com

Also....I am assuming that I would put the new installation in a subdomain...

That's all correct, you'd put your new installation in the subdomain, there's a couple of ways you can copy the current site. You could copy your whole database to the new install and then do a find and replace for the URL.

Or you could and this would be the easier way, use a plugin like Snapshot https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/ which includes migration logic, which means you can take a snapshot of your current site, install snapshot on the new site, import that snapshot and you'll then have a replica of your main site. :slight_smile:

Now I have another question.....part oft the reason that I need to update things is because there was a level of corruption from a viral attack on the site originally. It has been cleaned, but there are some residual problems with the theme. Do you have any suggestions to help with that? I am planning on installing a new theme to clean things up.

Depending on the exact attack and if any files were effected, I would recommend getting Sucuri to check out the site https://sucuri.net/signup/

They only charge $89.99 per year, for 1 site, to clean up any malware etc, it honestly is most probably the best service if you've had any sort of attack and is widely trusted by major companies.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.