Creating an events and membership site- advise sought

Got a new project and thought I would ask if someone could help / advise. Need to create a website for a company that does 5 events a month. So the idea is to create something like a membership site and use an Eventbrite plugin to post the actual events.

Similar to this site: https://www.4networking.biz/

And was thinking of this theme to start with and then customise to our need.
http://themeforest.net/item/socialize-multipurpose-buddypress-theme/full_screen_preview/12897637

So seeking advice on the following.

I want to integrate Eventbrite on this.. so – is there a plugin that can do it easily?
Or do you suggest setting up a multisite and then using a spate WP installation for the events side of things. For example this theme: http://www.showthemes.com/emt-demo/registration/

Thoughts on the above is most appreciated.

What would be the easiest way to monetise this ? i.e we want to do it for free initially and then perhaps charge users to be a member from there on?

Not quite sure if the theme in question can handle this – so is there any other way . any other plugin I can use? Mind you events will always be for free, just may want to charge the members a monthly/yearly fee going forward.

Many thanks in advance and wishing you all there a very happy new year!!!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @shan,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

I'm not that familiar with Eventbrite but I will try to throw in my 2 cents here :slight_smile:

Eventbrite does have plugin for integration with other themes but I'm not sure how easy is for use or how it actually works but you might want to give it a try:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/eventbrite-api/

Approach with different sub-site for theme that can handle this is also a good idea but if the above plugin works fine it might be a overkill.

What would be the easiest way to monetise this ? i.e we want to do it for free initially and then perhaps charge users to be a member from there on?

Could you elaborate this part a bit more, are you referring to users that are hosting or attending the event?
    Do you want users that host events to have limit to post only for one month and then to pay afterwards or you will be providing events for free to visitors at start and then deny access to events page until they pay?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• shan

hey Predrag

So very kind of you to respond.
    Monetisation at the moment is now more of a wishful thinking, than a necessity.

The events will always be for free (that's what my client works). But while exploring other ideas to monetise it, I was thinking more like charging people to be a member of the site and publish there profile and business on the site. (just like the example/competition site I shared above. say fir example. We offer this for free for first 100 members and then charge $1 per month (or may be $10 per year) to publish profile and their business. This way people can network and promote their business or personal profile.

thoughts? feel free to criticise :slight_smile:

• shan

Do you think Membership 2 Pro will work in tandem with all the other plugins we discussed here? or dose it just complicates things?

So if I understand it correctly. install the socialize - add eventbrite plugin to display events and then add membership pro and set it for free so that we people can register for free. after we got xxx number of members - change the membership type from free to paid? did i miss some thing?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Shan,

I hope you're having a nice day!

Do you think Membership 2 Pro will work in tandem with all the other plugins we discussed here? or dose it just complicates things?

The Membership 2 Pro plugin should work fine "out of the box" with these plugins, I think. It plays well with majority of plugins, perhaps except other "membership-type" solutions but that'd be pretty obvious :slight_smile:

What it does, is basically providing you with a set of tools to protect content and, optionally, charge members for access. That said, an example idea would be:

- create your target setup and make sure it's working fine
    - install Membership 2 Pro plugin and create "Standard" type membership, available for free
    - decide which parts of you site should be available only for members
    - use "Membership 2" -> "Protection rules" to mark that selected content as available for members of the membership that you've previously created
    - promote your site

- Then after, let's say, a year passes by, tell your members that from e.g. Dec 30 2016 a "Free" membership will be converted to a Premium membership and if they'd like to maintain access to the content they'll need to activate subscription

- then on Dec 30 2016 (of course that's an example date) just switch the membership to "Paid"

Users will then have to complete payment and if they do this, they'll keep their access and you'll start monetizing your site :slight_smile:

I hope that helps!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.