Creating both WPMU and manual subdomains, simultaneously

Hi,

If I setup a WPMU using subdomains method, would i still be able to create subdomains via server?

e.g., I want to run a WPMU but also be able to set a subdomain e.g. XXXXXX.mysite.com manually to be able to use for another service.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jason,

Thank you for this great question and you have the resident server expert on this ticket :slight_smile:

Most will tell you no that it cannot be done, and for the most part it cannot.

However, it can be done if you can get the sub domain higher in the httpd.conf or vhosts.conf before it hits the *.domain.com

Then it will work. However, if it hits the *.domain.com beforehand it will want to make another MultiSite in your original domain.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Jason,

Thank you for this great question.

There is no documentation for doing this, I came up with this solution myself being that my profession for the last 14 years is Global Network Administrator/Global Server Administrator for two companies on both sides of the big pond.

It does indeed work but you must have root access to the server and go to those files putting the sub domain higher in the httpd.conf or vhosts.conf before it hits the *.domain.com and then restart Apache.

Home grown brilliance therefore there are no manual or documents about doing this I am afraid.

Cheers, Joe

• Jason
    • The Bug Hunter

When you say root access you mean going to cpanel of the domain i have set up for the wordpress? I am thinking you possible mean something else.

I am using hostgator's reseller program which allows me to set up several separate cpanel accounts.

One of the domains is on one of the cpanel and is network enable (WPMU). Where exactly would i go to edit those files?

Can you suggest?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

root access is used to control a whole server. I'm not sure you will have that with a reseller account, you will need to chat with your host.

Your host should also help you create a wild card for your domain, that will mean everything.domain.com will go to your domain.com.

If you have cPanel with advanced DNS you should also be able to do it in there.

Screenshot is attached so you can see how I did it.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.