Creating buddypress themes with Wordpress ones..

Is there any documentation on how to do this?

I have an old wordpress theme I would like to use for buddypress, but I would like to use the WP Corporate theme as a template for the members areas (my homepage will look like a normal blog). Do anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Thanks

• A total and absolute nightmare disaster to the 100th power.

Can you tell I'm bitter?

We have a BUNCH of sites that we built around BuddyPress, only to have them completely and totally change their entire theme architecture.

Some of those sites we spent months building custom themes from scratch for. Now we have to either:

1. Scrap the whole damn things and start over from scratch developing for the new architecture.

or

2. TRY and merge the themes (buddypress use to have its own theme separate from the actual site), which has proven to be at least enough to make one suicidal, if not flat out being an exercise in impossibility.

or

3. Simply not update buddypress on them with officially releases, and try to port over code as they fix buggy muck-a-muck and security drama. This would be the sadomasochistic approach that could lead to months if not years of self persecution.

I'm a huge open-source advocate, but one thing that drives me nuts with some open source initiatives, is when the lead architects make massive changes after zero consultation with the community, and zero regard for existing adapters of their technology.

Someone would have to be crazy on crackrocks at this point to invest heavily in time or money developing a project around Buddypress considering the drastic changes in architecture they come up with that leave you holding an empty sack.

Hell at this point who the heck even knows what's going to happen with MU? That too is apparently going to be a massive surprise waiting to slap us all across our collective faces.

I don't like surprises when I'm investing heavily in time and money on projects.

Wow that was a massive vent and usually at this point in writing I delete everything and post short, professional, 1 sentence response to the actual question at hand. But guess what? This time I'm hitting the submit button.

/rant

• Andrew

zero regard for existing adapters of their technology

BuddyPress 1.1+ was supposed to have backwards compatibility with the older themes. This was stated directly on the BP blog. 1.1 rolled around and guess what? Not all existing themes worked.

We had members blaming us for that until we got our BP themes upgraded.

Hell at this point who the heck even knows what's going to happen with MU?

No need to worry about that one. MU will be just fine. We can pretty much guarantee that :wink:

Thanks,
    Andrew

• @Andrew

BuddyPress 1.1+ was supposed to have backwards compatibility with the older themes.

Yeah sure, that worked out all kinds of well. A total and complete crap-on.

That, and they announced backward compatibility for I believe only 2 releases, which we've already seen in short succession. That leads me to believe the next release will be the final screw-you version.

No need to worry about that one. MU will be just fine. We can pretty much guarantee that :wink:

From everything that I had read, I was kind of hoping that was going to be the direction, and the tip of the hat from you is much appreciated.

• James Farmer

Heh, probably a good idea :slight_smile:

Yeh, I think we all share your frustrations with the approach that's been taken - and I think my personal concerns are fairly well known.

The one thing we hope to do more of in the future is make sure that we offer our members as much assistance and support as possiblye to allay these kind of issues.

For example, if there are any issues with MU in 3.0 - don't stress cos we'll be doing everything we can to rub them out and make it all seamless... 'tis what we're here for!

• Richie_KS

@john
    lol..you just speak my mind..hehe
    yeap....the new structure bp1.1+ supposed to benefit child theme etc but
    in general modify your own profile page will be hard since it is well tight
    with the theme.

take note on this..maybe something like puitting all the profile template
    inside profiles folder including their own css file, header.php and footer.php will let user used the custom profile page for their wordpress theme without taking any css or tpl from main theme..just an idea:slight_smile:

@mrwiggles
    will check if any solution i can come up with this:slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.