Creating Classifieds Pages?

I seem to be stuck with the Classifieds plugin. I have activated it with no errors, but have no idea where my Classifieds Ads display, or where to create a page so that people can place ads for free. I feel kind of stupid asking, but the documentation doesn't really answer those questions at least not in a way where I understand it, I guess.

I created a test ad in the admin and viewed it on the live site, but I still can't find it in the navigation. Am I supposed to create a page and add a shortcode? I have no idea how a user will find it.

Your help is appreciated.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

You probably just need to add the 'Classifieds' page to your site's navigation. Are you using custom menus?

The plugin should create a 'Classifieds' page by default. If it didn't for some reason, you'll just need to create one and a child page called 'My Classifieds'.

Let us know if you need anything further!

• marcusc
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Also, wondering how to create a login just for users to create classifieds. The login text on the Classifieds page is not linked. Is it just the regular wordpress registration? If so, I'd like to redirect them right to the My Classifieds page when they login.

What's the best way to set this up?

Thanks,
    Marcus

• marcusc

I fixed most of my problems. The main issue is that my theme is not a child theme of twenty ten or twenty eleven, so I had to modify the custom post templates with my styling, as well as write some CSS for missing styles such as "#container".

The form appears for Contact User now, but can't get any spacing between the form and the ad description. Nothing works.

Thanks,
    Marcus

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya

OK, I see now how it works. What different pages can I create to go under "Classifieds". I've added "My Classifieds", but are there others?

Nope. That's the only one you'll need.

Also, wondering how to create a login just for users to create classifieds. The login text on the Classifieds page is not linked. Is it just the regular wordpress registration? If so, I'd like to redirect them right to the My Classifieds page when they login.

What's the best way to set this up?

Yes. It just uses the default WordPress login - are you using any membership or other registration plugin on your site?

And as far as styling the table you can do so by calling the unique stylers for classified ad tables like so:

#content .cf-ad table td {
        padding: 4px 4px 4px 10px;
    }
    .cf-ad table th {
        padding-right: 10px;
    }

The above provides a bit more spacing, but obviously you can do whatever ya like there.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!
    Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• marcusc

I did resolve it on my own, but I'd like to suggest that some additional items be added to the documentation:

I would make a point of making sure to note where users should look for the Classifieds pages, and if they aren't there, instruct them what to do (ie: create the page with the appropriate name).

Make sure if someone is using a Theme that does not use the Twenty-Ten or Twenty-Eleven framework that they will need to add their theme's styles to the default templates supplied in the plugin.

I would also define key styles in the Classifieds stylesheet so that they can be easily modified in the themes main stylesheet.

Other than that I like the plugin!

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.