Creating Custom Fields in CustomPress as part of Directory Plugin

Trying to create a drop-down field in my directory form, with the U.S. states listed. There didn't seemed to be a pre-built way to do it, so I created a custom type (in CustomPress) called "Physical State". Now, I want to be able to associate the custom field state with physical State in my form, but the the documentation doesn't go through an example of that.

Need to create a similar field with "Countries" -- does anyone have a short-cut to do that?

Also, when creating new fields, I want to be able to understand the differences between "meta, category, excerpt, and content" and be able to assign new fields to those values. Where can I get info about that?

Also, how to I control the look and feel of the listing form? It looks really unattractive compared to the other forms on the site?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to implement a real-world app and the usage sections don't go into enough detail. (Teaching videos would be nice!!)

• aecnu

Greetings wcsconcierge,

Sorry to see that you are having a bit of trouble with your custom developments there.

Now, I want to be able to associate the custom field state with physical State in my form, but the the documentation doesn't go through an example of that.

This is because this is obviously custom coding/development which is beyond the support that we provide here though we do try to help if we can and would never withhold an answer that we know.

To that end of helping if we can, the first thing is to update your Custom Press plugin to the latest release version 1.3.1, which the system says yours is behind.

And to specifically address your question in an effort to be helpful though I do not know myself, I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold

If you create a custom field of type select box you get a dropdown you can fill in. A bit of a pain to fill in 50 states but you could start it, export it and hand edit the export to add the others and re-import it. to speed things up.

But onece the field is created and associated with directory_listing post type it will show up automatically. on the front end form.

It sounds like you confusing the functions of the various pieces. You say you made a custom type "Physical State" and want to associate it with a custom field? A simple custom field should be sufficient.

Post types are simply posts that have a type attached to them that tells the programming it should display this post differently from others.

Taxonomies are buckets that contain descriptions attached to a given post types. that describe groups of posts. Things like Business type. In the taxonomy you add the adjectives like Auto dealers or Printers.

Custom fields are the data specific to an individual post.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.