Creating groups in one site only

I'm creating a group meetup site in Multisite Buddypress with Buddypress Heirarchy. So I have a main site with two subdomain sites creatd with Multisite...Philadelphia and New York.

Phila/
Langauge/
Beginner or Advanced Groups

When I create a group in Philadelphia, I get all the groups created there in the New York site. Why?

Also...is it better to create groups with a group as a parent or a categorie as parent?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tony,

I hope you're well today!

So you wish to create one group for one subdomain and another group for another subdomain, am I right? I remember your recent question on tools for group creation and it looks like I didn't understand your goal well.

From what I can see on BP Group Hierarchy plugin's forum it's a default behavior and it probably can't be changed without code customization. That's because the groups are created on per-users instead of per-site basis. In fact, this is how BP groups work and it's not related to BP Group Hierarchy plugin itself.

That said, I apologize for pointing you in this direction. There's probably a way however to make use of the plugin. Here are the ideas:

1) Try to utilize this plugin to create "separate" BuddyPress communities (there's a feature that lets users be a part of one or more communities at once).

http://buddydev.com/buddypress/introducing-buddypress-multi-network-plugin-create-multiple-separate-social-networks-on-a-single-buddypress-install/

2). Use "categories as parents". Given a proper names it should give the members of your community a clear message of "which group is which". It will not however prevent them from being able to join both groups but it should be possible to simply hide a category on a particular page.

Let me know the results.

Regards,
    Adam

• tony

Multi-Networks sounds good. But would it be easier to avoid Multisite subdomain sites and just use BP Hierarchy and force new registered members to choose one city and somehow disallow other cities to be seen?

Is there a benefit to using Multisite or better to use one site with all groups in Hierarchy on it to avoid having plugins on every site that may cause conflicts etc...?

Also...would it be better for group emails to use one site rather than Multisite?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Tony,

I hope you're well today and I'm sorry for such a delay on my side!

I must admit I'm getting a bit confused here. I'm always an advocate for simplicity: the simpler, the better. That said, I understood that you're using Multisite for a reason here so, taking it into account, I didn't refer to it at all. I'm not entirely sure what are you trying to achieve besides aforementioned groups.

In order to give you a reasonable advice I'd like to get a better picture of the idea of your entire site, so could you please describe it to me once again from the ground up? Please advise.

Regards,
    Adam

• tony

Using BP Hierarchy or Multi-Networks plugin (which never seems to to work) I want to create...

Phila...Languages...Italian or French or German or Russian...Beginner group or Advanced group
    Boston...Languages...Italian or French or German or Russian...Beginner group or Advanced group
    Chicago...Languages...Italian or French or German or Russian...Beginner group or Advanced group
    ...etc.....for twenty cities.

People can only join Beginner or Advanced groups. Parent "groups" are just categories and members should not be able to see groups in other cities.

So using Phila as template how is best way to copy or replicate "Phila" created groups as template to create other cities.

Or if you think not using Hierarchy and rather using some form of "category" function is better?

I need language organizers to create a language group in their city and have it automatically assigned into each parent, so I'm not sure "category" would work the way Hierarchy does.

The other work-around was to use Mutlisite and create the Hierarchy and then clone the whole site as new city. Would that be complicating things or is Hierarchy enough in ONE site?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Tony,

I hope you're having a great day!

Actually, although easy to use for an end-user, it does sound like a quite complex setup. The more I think about it though, the more I'm starting to favor a simple single-site setup with BuddyPress as a community engine and with a simple WP category tree.

What do you think about using then our Protected Content plugin and/or Membership Pro to create user levels/subscriptions that would allow members to view only the content (like categories - e.g. "Phila -> Languages -> Italian -> Beginner", BuddyPress groups etc) they signed up for?

Take a look please at the descriptions of those plugins and let me know what do you think about it.

Protected Content: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

Membership Pro: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

Regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.