Creating page templates

Is there a way to create page templates for certain Buddypress related pages?

For example I have a multisite with buddypress setup where people can register an account and a site. BUT I removed the register for a site options from the register.php that way registered members can register for a site if they want to. To do that they have to go to the "Site directory" page to see the button for registering a site (standard Buddypress stuff). And THERE I need an adjustment: a "register for a site" page. So it can be styled too.

Can this be achieved with a page template or only with editing a file like the register.php?

Thanks in advance,
Ronald

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Ya I'm not sure I follow what your after or why... Sorry. I've read through you're post a few times but think I'm just having a dumb moment here. lol

So the slug for register is /register/ and then to create a site when logged in is /create/

And you want to take the code of those two pages to make them into templates?

Is there a specific reason for that? Maybe styling?

Or am I just still not getting this?

Let me know.

Take care.

• Dutchman
    • The Bug Hunter

Hey Timothy,

Sorry if I didnt explain it clearly enough.
    The slug is what you standard get when using Buddypress and Multisite,

When you start installing Buddypress, you get during the install wizard the option to setup the pages like: Groups / Members / Activity / Sites

No I kept the standard page for Sites. So if you go to Sites you get the link in your address bar: http://www.multisite.com/sites/

Now I have the option that my members can register their own site (blog creation). When they are logged in and want to register a site the will be directed to the register page (where that is I dont know) so the address bar will show this link: http://www.multisite.com/sites/create

And that the thing I'm talking about, how to style that or create a template page for it.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Well the register page is part of your theme so it's kind of a template already. It's the file you and I spoke about. As it's part of the theme is there a reason your can't alter it there as needed? and then style with the themes CSS?

I suppose you could make this in a template which can be selected whilst creating a page but I think you're just creating extra work for yourself this way. As this is a theme file already wouldn't it be better for you play with the file and style it that way or through a child theme. what ya reckon?

Take care.

• Dutchman
    • The Bug Hunter

Thank you Timothy,

I totally understand you and I agree. But the strange part is that I cant find the text that should be there inside the register.php but it is not. I did a complete search with dreamweaver in all the files of the theme. And none of these phrases could be found:

Create a Site Site Directory

By filling out the form below, you can add a site to your account. There is no limit to the number of sites that you can have, so create to your heart's content, but blog responsibly!

If you’re not going to use a great domain, leave it for a new user. Now have at it!

I had no problem finding the text and code for the normal register page when a person register for the first time. So maybe I did something wrong or its somewhere inside the Buddypress plugin?

I'll go and check with the Theme designer. maybe he got an answer.
    Keep ya posted!

Cheers,
    Ronald

• Dutchman
    • The Bug Hunter

I did another search with just the CREATE A SITE term and found it in /THEMEFOLDER/blogs/create.php

With these codes:

<?php do_action( 'bp_before_create_blog_content' ); ?>

<?php if ( bp_blog_signup_enabled() ) : ?>

<?php bp_show_blog_signup_form(); ?>

Is there a way to style the blog signup form?
    Or any good tips on this?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

If it's just styling then do you know about developer tools in browsers?

It would save making templates or messing with the code in templates.

You could use Chrome dev tools or firebug in FireFox, this will let you see all the elements and their class or ID.

You can also make visual changes and then copy those to your themes css.

Take care.

• Dutchman
    • The Bug Hunter

Yeah I thought so too. Was hoping there was a plugin that offered a better a solution for styling default pages. Or setting it up with custom settings.

Anyways. I know what to do now.
    Thanks for all the feedback, Timothy!

Have a good weekend!
    Cheers,

Ronald

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.