Upfront Element Questions

I would like to commend you guys for the work on the new upfront 1.0. I loooove the padding feature as well as how intuitive the drag and drop now is.

I do have some questions on some of the Draggable elements.

• How do I make the gallery full width?
• Specify how many images in a row?

• How do I make it to show two columns?
• I also would like to style that section differently ( see attachment )
• Change the number of words/characters that will display as an excerpt.

If these can all be done in the front end and not through a CSS editor would be great. :smiley:

Thank you and keep up the great work!

• Sajid

Hi @arabedioux,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

• How do I make the gallery full width?
    • Specify how many images in a row?

I am afraid, to make it fullwidth you need to add some custom CSS code. Because its inside of container that is 1280px so we need to target that container and make it fullwidth.

Please enable support staff access so I can take a closer look and give you exact CSS code (I need unique CSS classes). You can grant support staff access from WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access or see this manual.

• How do I make it to show two columns?

To make it two columns you need to add following CSS code in element CSS. Click on post element in editor, click on gear icon, then appearance, preset add new preset, click on edit preset CSS and following code.

li.uf-post {
        padding-top: 0;
        padding-bottom: 0;

• I also would like to style that section differently ( see attachment )

Yes, by adding new preset you will ensure that the CSS styles would not effect any other elements on site.

• Change the number of words/characters that will display as an excerpt.

Click on gear icon of post element > post part settings > content > edit > limit words and add the number of words you want to show here.

Yes, there will alway need to make some adjustments via CSS.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

• Sajid

Hi @arabedioux,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am really sorry for the terrible delay on this ticket, we are receiving a huge number of support request these days then usual.

Thanks for granting support staff access. I could see the issue on your website, it works as expected in editor but breaks the layout on frontpage. It seems upfront is unable to load the layout for that specific page. I tried with development tools but its still not working.

Was it working fine when you first install upfront ? Also, I can see you used some CSS to style it accordingly. Where exactly you added that CSS code ?

Look forward towards your response Alana :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Nastia

Hello Alana, I hope you are doing well today!

I'm apologies for late reply here.

I visited your page , and I see Upfront styles are not loading normally. Further more the JS Developer Console shows the following errors:

"error building layout preview"
    "error saving layout"

This issue is related to mod_security rules. Would you please add the following code to .htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterRemove 00318

If this will not solve the issue, please contact your host and ask to disable the mod_security.

Let us know how it went!

• Nastia

Hello Alana, I trust you are doing well!

Are you in a shared hosting? Which hosting provider are you using? Can you give us more details about your hosting please?

There is possibility that CPU consumption is high, would you please install and activate a cache plugin. Here is most commonly used cache plugins:

What is your server's CPU usage?

Our developer Gagan has posted an answer regarding similar issue, (here is the ticket). I'm quoting him bellow:

I just checked the site. The only reason that the upfront fails to load most of the times is because the hosting is not able to serve multiple aschyncronus requests simultaneouly. This could be happening due to the hosting server being low on resources or limits set up on number of simultaneous database requests or scripts in execution. The bottleneck could be anywhere on the server side.

Sometimes, the required scripts do not load and the system times out. Sometimes, when i get lucky, I am able to load upfront properly without any error, but it happened 1/20 times. And everytime the browser fails, its due to random scripts being timed out. There is serious low on server resources allocated on this hosting.

Although, the Upfront takes up little more processing than a usual stripped off theme, but still, that overhead would be very miniscule to affect the web server.

In this case, the hosting is seriously low on resources.

This can be again corroborated by the fact that the pages having smaller content are having more chances to make it. For example, the contact page, it would not fail so often as the home page.

Another step to troubleshoot this isse is to enable WordPress debugging mode. To enable debug mode please edit a line in your wp-config.php:
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Post here the errors you will see.

Please advise,

Kind Regards,

• Alana

Hello Nastia,

Thanks again for the reply. And no, I am not doing well. I have installed total cache as you requested. Theres a new change: It made it worse. (Just my luck!) It seems it loads now without any CSS styling. I also enabled debugging like you've asked.

I am using shared hosting from entirely digital. I can't answer the CPU consumption issue, and will have to get back to you on that.

I was planning on using upfront on several ( maybe 3-5 ) other websites and I already have to ditch 2 of them and start making themes because of missing deadlines trying to make upfront/upfront features work. It has been nothing but sheer frustration so far.

• Nastia

Hello @Allana!

I'm sorry to hear this!

Once you have enabled the WordPress debugging, is there an errors in debug.log file?

Would you please send to us your credentials so we could take a look? You can send credentials by using our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nastia
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select “I have a different question” for your topic.

We are waiting for your email!

Kind Regards,

• Nastia

Hello Alana, I hope you are doing well today!

It seems like the Snapshot plugin was the reason why the stylesheet are not loading. It was because of the low PHP memory limit. I have inserted the following code to wp-config.php file and the stylesheet started loading again:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '96M');
    define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Regarding the alignment issue, I've reported this to our second level support to have a look. As soon as there’s an update on this issue, the developer or myself will post back on this thread with an update.

I hope you will have a great weekend!

Kind Regards,